Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126454 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9870 on: September 08, 2016, 01:43:13 pm »

Just saw a dwarf pick a fight with a coati.

Not a giant coati, mind, an ordinary coati.

The dwarf lost, and is now entombed.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9871 on: September 10, 2016, 10:21:17 am »

I let an enemy elf escape alive.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9872 on: September 10, 2016, 12:09:39 pm »

This is the facepalm thread, not the seppuku thread.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9873 on: September 10, 2016, 07:23:00 pm »

It's okay. With 0.40's world activation, there's a good chance they'll come back a second time!

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #9874 on: September 13, 2016, 03:46:47 am »

When your dwarves can't destroy bridge due to downward staircases, instead of up/down staircases, and you think that something wrong with the game. (How woodcutter and the bunch before managed to go on the surface? Climbing?)

EDIT: Looks like i figured out how my dwarves were able to access surface. When i used "remove staircases/ramps" to clean moat from the ramps, i also forgot to use "remove designation" from the staircases, making my dwarves turn perfectly fine up/down stairs to just down stairs. Lesson learned.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 05:05:10 am by CrocAndBearLover »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

mangame5

• Bay Watcher
  • "I am here, click me!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9875 on: September 14, 2016, 07:05:22 am »

The first time I wanted to have a well in the Dining Room/Meeting Hall, I didn't use any floodgates. I was fully aware of the communicating vessels principle, but for some reason I thought that the well would block the water.
Big cistern under the well (Several tiles long and wide, even a few Z levels down) filled up rather quickly, so did the rest of the fortress.

[EDIT]

Thought that you had to do very weird stuff with stockpiles and workshops to get neatly colored furniture done, so things looked well. Props to Fleeting Frames for telling me how easily one can do this. ("After you give a job to make furniture, go into 'd'etails - you can specify stone...")

[EDIT]
This just happened in my fortress:
Enormous siege shows up. They can't get over the river and seem to be buggering off.
At the same time, a titan shows up:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fishery worker punches the titan's head off:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Goblins see the event, finally face their fears and get over the river.
Bummer.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:41:08 am by mangame5 »
"Quiet... I'M TRYING TO SNEAK UP ON THEM!"

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9876 on: September 17, 2016, 07:25:43 am »

Thought that you had to do very weird stuff with stockpiles and workshops to get neatly colored furniture done, so things looked well. Props to Fleeting Frames for telling me how easily one can do this. ("After you give a job to make furniture, go into 'd'etails - you can specify stone...")
This got in only recently, in update 0.43.01 from May 2016 ("Can specify materials/images/etc. in work orders").
Linked stockpile magery worked before and still works.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: September 17, 2016, 10:38:41 am »

This got in only recently, in update 0.43.01 from May 2016 ("Can specify materials/images/etc. in work orders").
Linked stockpile magery worked before and still works.
That's great *proceeds to do it in 42.06 LNP all the time anyway*

Not sure when it was added, but for things it is unavailable - such as mill plants to specify dimple cup rather than any flour plants - there's also dfhack's alt-a for workshop-job.

What you're speaking about is manager work orders, not workshop jobs :v Indeed .43, but this was before that.

Ildac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9878 on: September 20, 2016, 03:35:23 am »

The soldier and the bard who refused to go to their burrow, just so they could socialize in the tavern.

Did I mention they were both weregiraffes just waiting to introduce my fortress to the joys of lycanthropy?

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9879 on: September 22, 2016, 08:38:57 pm »

One of my miners manage to cave a large area where the moat would be. She was crushed alongside a stray cat.

Interestingly, her corpse was moved to the corpse pile, but was declared missing later... Methinks one of the fort members had a vendetta, and didn't want her corpse ever found.
"Science isn't about why. Science is about WHY NOT?"- Cave Johnson, Portal 2

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9880 on: September 23, 2016, 12:40:08 pm »

I've been playing a fortress for a while and thanks to cistern mishaps, there ended up being a large amount of rocks and an abandoned baby at the bottom of the cistern. I realised I'm going to want some flood control, so I built a floodgate and forgot to open it, and for the most part forgot about the tiny dwarven baby who was learning to swim at the bottom of the cistern. Quite a while later, I'm having a look at the well, and I had mostly forgotten about the whole fiasco, and I notice that there's a corpse at the bottom of the cistern. My response at this point is "Oh right, somebody died in there. Why do all my cistern projects claim dwarven lives? seriously, nothing else ever kills my workers but digging out a cistern." A long time later that day, I suddenly get an alert that someone was found dead of dehydration. My first thought is a mix of "Oh crap, I need to fill the cistern" and "oh crap, people aren't taking from the cistern because the water's bloody." Then I view the alert and have a close look at its location.

It was the baby stuck swimming in the cistern. It died of dehydration, in the middle of a huge four-deep pool of water.
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9881 on: September 23, 2016, 12:53:34 pm »

.....Wow.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9882 on: September 24, 2016, 10:27:18 am »

Forgot to remove fireimmune from a caste of my custom fortress race.  Prompting one of the traders to attempt to ford his donkey through the magma moat.

It went about as well as could be expected.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9883 on: September 24, 2016, 11:03:33 am »

Forgot to remove fireimmune from a caste of my custom fortress race.  Prompting one of the traders to attempt to ford his donkey through the magma moat.

It went about as well as could be expected.
Whooooops.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9884 on: September 24, 2016, 11:12:20 am »

It was the baby stuck swimming in the cistern. It died of dehydration, in the middle of a huge four-deep pool of water.

I...what. Why. How.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 729