Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3625 3626 [3627] 3628 3629 ... 8158

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8856094 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #54390 on: October 18, 2012, 03:03:41 pm »

Hahaha no. That's... not what lucid dreaming is at all.

Lucid dreaming is an awareness that you are dreaming and are in that dream. It has pretty much zip to do with actually controlling the dream - you can be aware and have no control, and you can have control but not be aware (you can even think you aware of it being a dream without actually being so which is hella weird in hindsight).

But controlling a dream != lucid dreaming.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54391 on: October 18, 2012, 03:24:12 pm »

The problem with lucid dreaming is, of course, the essence of lucid dreaming. You know you're dreaming. There's no unknown, no unexpected, no thrill, no interplay. There's nothing. It's boring. At it's best, it's as exciting as drawing a picture is in real life - except that if your attention wavers for all of a second, you lose any sort of realistic continuity, and your effort is wasted.
Yeah, where's the fun in everything going exactly as you imagine it. I thrive on leaping into the unknown and seeing what my subconscious throws at me.

As demonstrated here (also kinda opposes on the whole lack of continuity thing, but it'll vary from person to person), that's where the fun can truly begin. This is creating a stable canvas - where you can really see what your subconscious is about. I've traveled through memories, concepts and even past dream settings through lucid dreaming, and for some reason it's a great deal harder to forget lucid dreams.
As for imagination - well, this is you when you're dreaming. I'm not even certain how much control you ever can really get, and it's incredibly surprising when you finally manage to push your limits and see places that are entirely invented by your subconscious.

Keep dreaming bay12.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54392 on: October 18, 2012, 03:38:06 pm »

Hahaha no. That's... not what lucid dreaming is at all.

Lucid dreaming is an awareness that you are dreaming and are in that dream. It has pretty much zip to do with actually controlling the dream - you can be aware and have no control, and you can have control but not be aware (you can even think you aware of it being a dream without actually being so which is hella weird in hindsight).

But controlling a dream != lucid dreaming.
Weird, generally in my dreams I have to be lucid to control anything, otherwise I'm just alone for the ride. That's what I was trying to say, not that controlling a dream is lucid dreaming, but that you needed to be lucid to control it. (obviously not the case)
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #54393 on: October 18, 2012, 03:40:24 pm »

I've never had a dream where I didn't have some level of control, usually being used to force it back into the track it was in. Of course, I've also woken up bruised and (in one case bleeding) at places where I was wounded in a dream.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54394 on: October 18, 2012, 03:42:50 pm »

I've never had a dream where I didn't have some level of control, usually being used to force it back into the track it was in. Of course, I've also woken up bruised and (in one case bleeding) at places where I was wounded in a dream.
I've woken up after once punching a nearby drawer. I won, the drawer lost.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #54395 on: October 18, 2012, 03:45:46 pm »

I once woke up to find that I was banging the alarm clock repeatedly against the floor.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54396 on: October 18, 2012, 04:00:30 pm »

I once woke up to find that I was banging the alarm clock repeatedly against the floor.
"JUST! FIVE! MORE! MINUTES!
GOD."
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #54397 on: October 18, 2012, 04:23:09 pm »

I have an odd sadness today. My original plan for tonight was to do a few chores and settle in to a nice long uninterrupted session of XCom. Last night while I was off with friends my sister called wanting to hang out and chat for a bit (she's just gone through a nasty divorce and needs someone to vent to occasionally). I said I couldn't do anything that night, but I could find some time on Thursday, figuring I could hang out with her for a bit and then do XCom after that.

Well, now one of my other friends is going to be stuck with nothing to do and wants to play boardgames tonight. I don't want to blow him off, so I probably just won't end up doing XCom tonight at all.

It's really odd to feel kind of sad that people really want to spend time with me tonight. But I really was looking forward to just immersing myself in XCom and making some good headway in my campaign.

*sigh*

Maybe Saturday. I don't have anyone competing for Saturday yet...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #54398 on: October 18, 2012, 05:15:23 pm »

I continue to work on doing something about the sad crapsack of depressing bullshit that my life is, in my own kinda half assed way.

I bought 2 pair of pants this week. Now I now have enough pants that I can go to work 5 days a week without wearing something dirty, stained or torn. And my room is still relatively clean, even if I do have a stack of plastic totes in the middle of the room at the moment.

I also have a clip board full of crap I really need to take care of, filtered out of a large box of unopened mail. I have not been diligent in making this clip board shrink every day.

I've watched television, two whole days in a row. The presidential debate and the Daily Show/Colbert report while drinking alcohol.

These are the positive things I have going for me. WTF.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54399 on: October 18, 2012, 05:17:31 pm »

You make my impending spike in difficuty seem less so by comparison...  Chipper up CatFlayer.  :P
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #54400 on: October 18, 2012, 06:23:14 pm »

I'm not sure if it goes here or in the rage thread, but the number of people my sister has kissed is entirely too high for a 13 year-old.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54401 on: October 18, 2012, 06:26:23 pm »

Mmm, depends. Is she being abused and manipulated into it?

If she's just outgoing and flirty, well.. whupidedoo. Just tell her to make sure to use protection if it goes past kissing.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54402 on: October 18, 2012, 06:27:54 pm »

Dude. 13. Bit young for that kind of stuff.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54403 on: October 18, 2012, 06:31:34 pm »

So long as she doesn't get pregnant, doesn't catch any STDs, everything's consensual, and she isn't being abused, then I don't care what age she is.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #54404 on: October 18, 2012, 06:42:44 pm »

I think she's too young, and it's just weird. It's even weirder when you consider she's the her school's Christian Club thingy.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 3625 3626 [3627] 3628 3629 ... 8158