Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5964 5965 [5966] 5967 5968 ... 8158

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8864871 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #89475 on: March 03, 2015, 07:22:43 am »

Blasting my house down every time I want to hear you say something nice is not as tolerable as you would think.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #89476 on: March 03, 2015, 08:41:21 am »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:01:06 pm by penguinofhonor »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89477 on: March 03, 2015, 08:51:54 am »

So you will continue to use incorrect pronouns for me? That's what this sounds like.
Depends on what you think is inccorrect.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89478 on: March 03, 2015, 09:08:52 am »

Indeed. I hadn't yet heard directly from you which pronoun was correct.

However, if you are asking whether I'll identify you as male if you have such reproductive organs; yes.
I'll admit, it's rather cruel of me, especially as the anonymity provided by the internet is what enables some people to stay in the closet about their gender identities, as getting an op would have gigantic and severe social ramifications in the current meatspace- hopefully less in the future.

But like the contentious subject of abortion, the main issue is where people draw the line. I, personally, draw that line at pre-op and post-op. I have never judged anybody for wanting to change their gender to fit their gender identity - call it a human right, or a privilege granted by the current age of technology, but it's their choice, and a large one at that; I could never have anything but admiration for someone who does it- but until then there's nothing to stop any random teenager from flipflopping between genderforms as they please, which experience leads me to believe will only cause bigger problems once the hormones die down.
I apologize if it offends, but again, it's my personal opinion and probably a particularly hidebound one.

Most likely I'll just refer to you as 'penguinofhonor'. (Or more likely honor or pengu or pengoh or PoH.)

Edit: Sorry to once again bring the low vibes to the sad thread. I shall pray to the patron of pickmeup.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:11:32 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89479 on: March 03, 2015, 10:37:11 am »

So you will continue to use incorrect pronouns for me? That's what this sounds like.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #89480 on: March 03, 2015, 10:42:37 am »

Depends on what you think is inccorrect.

Nah, Tack is being an ass. Being trans is definitely a Thing.

That being said, I do know a couple of people IRL who have point-blank admitted that they have pulled pseudogenders out of thin air to wear like a hat. That's definitely not what's going on here, though.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #89481 on: March 03, 2015, 10:51:59 am »

Why in the fuck do people care so much that other people identify as expected? "Whoops, my bad." That's all you need. You don't need to philosophize about an objective definition of gender, or explain why you think you didn't really do anything wrong, or drastically overhaul your mechanisms for dealing with people. Just do what seems reasonable and be prepared to own up to mistakes.

On the plus side, I've learned that I can make two fewer mistakes in the future, and address PoH as a "she" and Objective as a "whatever the hell that person is, I don't know". Provided I've parsed things correctly, anyway - who knows, maybe I'm making even more mistakes now! Such is life, in all its magnificent ambiguity.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89482 on: March 03, 2015, 11:14:30 am »

I feel really depressed today.
I don't really know why.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89483 on: March 03, 2015, 11:38:33 am »

-snip-
Or, y'know, detach pronoun use from gender entirely and use it to describe the outward appearance of the person in question. Much less confusion, and once this procedure has been internalized by everyone, much less drama about frikkin' words with less than four letters.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #89484 on: March 03, 2015, 12:08:18 pm »

:c
:-\
Please, man. People are defined by much more than what's in their pants.

OBJECTION!

That's a strawman argument. He said that sex/gender was defined by what's in your pants, NOT that people are defined by their sex/gender
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #89485 on: March 03, 2015, 12:38:29 pm »

Am I an idiot?  :-\
Please, be honest.
u dum

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89486 on: March 03, 2015, 12:49:10 pm »

:C Why did this happen?

( Today the Sad thread made me sad. That's messed up. The sad thread is where people go to get help to not be sad.

Also, transgender people are not a modern thing. Waaaay older than you'd think- it is a human thing, not a modern thing.
)
M'k, but you see the real question is if you can find a pre-Roman example! :D :C * shitty attempt at deflecting with humour * * goes and sits in the corner now *

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #89487 on: March 03, 2015, 12:53:50 pm »

Berdache. Not quite the same thing, and records only go back as far as the visits of colonial Spanish anthropologists, but the concept probably dates to far before then.

Things that made me sad: a documentary on Los Alamos. Jeez, those physicists realizing the weight of what they'd done, especially after the justifications they used for most of the project (Hitler was going to build the bomb, had to get there first) fell apart.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89488 on: March 03, 2015, 12:54:33 pm »

While not transgender "exactly", there have been documented instances of "third gender" and "genderqueer" (i hate the last term btw.) individuals in india predating the romans.  They just lacked the technology to become transgendered.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijra_%28South_Asia%29

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #89489 on: March 03, 2015, 12:54:59 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 5964 5965 [5966] 5967 5968 ... 8158