Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 214101 times)

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #210 on: May 17, 2010, 08:15:48 am »

Okay, I solved two of my three problems.

The dialog box not showing anything sensible was due to me being a brainfart, I didn't have any fonts installed in the chroot (Installing ttf-dejavu helped).

What the dialog box showed was the following:

Main index file missing/corrupted.  The file "index" must be in the "data" folder.  Make sure DF decompressed into its folders properly.

Turns out it was a packaging problem; df_dir/data/index wasn't world-writable. I'll bug my package maintainer about that.

However, I still couldn't get OpenAl to use OSS.

caranha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 17, 2010, 08:20:51 am »

I'm getting a crash any time I try to create a squad in Linux.
Linux Billengate 2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 12 05:23:09 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

I'm getting this as well, running the Linux version in Arch Linux.

I'm getting the "crash on creating new squad" bug as well. I have tried different saves, and creating a fortress from scratch. Ubuntu 9.10.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 17, 2010, 08:33:39 am »

Main index file missing/corrupted.  The file "index" must be in the "data" folder.  Make sure DF decompressed into its folders properly.
Turns out it was a packaging problem; df_dir/data/index wasn't world-writable. I'll bug my package maintainer about that.
Ok this is very odd. I have the following:
Code: [Select]
  chown -R root:games $pkgdir/opt/df_linux/data
  find $pkgdir/opt/df_linux/data -type d -exec chmod 775 {} +
  find $pkgdir/opt/df_linux/data -type f -exec chmod 664 {} +
Yet upon checking the package it's root:root 644... I'll look at this some more...

lizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 17, 2010, 08:35:28 am »

The on-again off-again bug where text mode incorrectly displays some characters as wide is back.  It's fixed by
ln -s /lib/libncursesw.so.5 /pathtodf/lib/libncurses.so.5

or wherever your system keeps it's libraries for the first argument.

DF also seems to not really quit after quitting from text.  It drops to show me the terminal, but keeps spinning the processor (at 100% for me, but I have an old computer) until I control-c or kill it externally. 

The memory usage surprised me, over 500MB to load my test fort.

mistinshadows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 17, 2010, 08:44:46 am »

How on earth do I get the text to extend further than halfway down my screen?  No matter how I set things in init, the text menus and descriptions are bunched in the top half of their windows.

lizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2010, 08:51:27 am »

Suppose I should say that I'm on linux.  The not-quitting thing appears to also happen with the STANDARD interface.

STANDARD is faster than TEXT for me, which is odd seeming.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2010, 08:53:30 am »

Ok this is very odd. I have the following:
Code: [Select]
  chown -R root:games $pkgdir/opt/df_linux/data
  find $pkgdir/opt/df_linux/data -type d -exec chmod 775 {} +
  find $pkgdir/opt/df_linux/data -type f -exec chmod 664 {} +
Yet upon checking the package it's root:root 644... I'll look at this some more...

Edit: The issue is that if you had a version installed previously with bad permissions, it would keep the old permissions when upgrading. Running chown -R root:games /opt/df_linux/data fixes it.

Edit2: No, wait, it doesn't keep old perms... How did this break the first time!? I can't get it to reproduce...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:06:46 am by Daenyth »

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2010, 09:02:43 am »

Edit: The issue is that if you had a version installed previously with bad permissions, it would keep the old permissions when upgrading. Running chown -R root:games /opt/df_linux/data fixes it.

Awesome, thanks. :) Now on to the real testing!
Is there a way to access the PKGBUILDs you use for the repo?

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 17, 2010, 09:08:37 am »

Awesome, thanks. :) Now on to the real testing!
Is there a way to access the PKGBUILDs you use for the repo?

Ok, so strange. I just made a small test case for that upgrade thing and the permissions didn't break. I can't figure out why it got installed root:root. Driving me nuts. I can't reproduce the breakage now.

Anyway, all of our packages are in the AUR. There may be some diversions from the aur maintainer's version though since we tend to clean them up to higher standards. We try to resubmit but it doesn't always happen. You can get PKGBUILDs from our git repo: http://github.com/Stythys/arch-games

Huw_Dawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 17, 2010, 09:21:19 am »

Just testing it on your typical buisness computer (Dell Optiplex 755 w/ Windows 7) and it world genned VERY fast - took about a minute. Offloading and loading was very quick too... No tileset being used (it's for "DF when you're bored in your lunch break") but so far it looks good. The OpenGL will no doubt help lunchtime Dwarfs to enjoy the game!

Now to test fort building...
Urist takes over shop
Materials he has not
Pants now adorn halls

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2010, 09:26:31 am »

Probably due to CR/CRLF confusion in your editor. Try the in-game keybinding editor?
I have the same problem. I don't think it's the line breaks, but something similar. Because BIND:STRING_A127 - BIND:STRING_A255 contain unusual characters, notepad "helpfully" saves the file as UTF-8. If you use "Save As..." and manually set encoding back to "ANSI" it should work again.

Edit: Additionally, the only reason it break enter is that it's the very first binding. If you add a dummy line above that the file survives being saved as UTF-8 mostly unscathed.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:36:24 am by ManaUser »
Akur Akir Akam!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2010, 09:52:57 am »

I used this one: http://mirror.archlinux.fi/archlinux/community/os/x86_64/lib32-openal-1.12.854-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
That is a 64-bit library, DF is 32-bit.  Whatever it's using I guarantee it's not that.  'ldd dwarfort.exe' to see what library it actually is using.  Please upload that one.

Please note the lib32 in front of the filename. I do not know how your RPM-running distro handles 64/32 bit library difference, but in Arch64 all 64-bit libraries go to /usr/lib and all 32-bit compatibility libraries go to /opt/lib32/usr/lib.

Without this package (lib32-openal), DF does not start, because it can only find the 64-bit library (openal).
I'll swallow my pride and say you're right.  DF works with this.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

shadur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2010, 10:00:09 am »

I had a hard crash occur while trying to assign squads with no military. Crash report at http://tenchi.systemec.nl/~shadur/DF/crash.txt , related save at http://tenchi.systemec.nl/~shadur/DF/toomuchthread.tar.bz2

I've tested it several times and the crash occurs every time I try to create a squad regardless of whether a militia commander is selected or not.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2010, 10:11:27 am »

I have the same problem. I don't think it's the line breaks, but something similar. Because BIND:STRING_A127 - BIND:STRING_A255 contain unusual characters, notepad "helpfully" saves the file as UTF-8. If you use "Save As..." and manually set encoding back to "ANSI" it should work again.

Edit: Additionally, the only reason it break enter is that it's the very first binding. If you add a dummy line above that the file survives being saved as UTF-8 mostly unscathed.
Whoa THANKS!
Works perfectly!
I know re-binding keys is not such a big issue, heck, even "Esc" instead of "space" camte naturally to me over time, but still, I like my z-level up/down as ";" and ":".  :P
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2010, 10:26:35 am »

All I want is square tiles and a decent aspect ratio on my window.
[WINDOWEDX:80]
[WINDOWEDY:50]
[FONT:curses_square_16x16.png]
All I changed was Y from 25 to 50 and the font to curses square 16x16.  It changes the window size, but not the number of tiles.  I don't want theatre bars or tall tiles!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WOOT, figured out a workaround!  [BLACK_SPACE:YES] messes it up, no clue why!  If you have the dreaded black bars, set this to NO.

I suspect it has something to do with the movie though, since it's the ONLY part of the whole thing that ends up getting stretched.

This workaround worked for me once, and then when I started DF again it went back to a vertically stretched screen.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 55