Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572130 times)

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3435 on: February 05, 2011, 02:44:14 am »

if it's going to work as a barrel, it should probably specify it's a large vessel and not a bowl or a jug
IMO, 'vessel' is clear and concise enough by itself...though it would be kind of neat to have an in-game glossary (to tell that a door and a portal are the same thing for example).  If you have large vessels, wouldn't that imply the existence of non-large vessels?  Only have adjectives when they distinguish between two things, I say.
The names of certain trap components would disagree.

As would names for daggers.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: February 05, 2011, 05:40:27 am »

Quote from: drvoke
Will ceramic jugs (or some other ceramic product) be used to store any food or booze?

Yeah, there should be something.  I just haven't found a name yet.  Amphora made sense, and "large vase" seems too decorative, but I'm not really happy with anything yet, since those seem too specific.  I'm not sure what the other historical examples are and if something else sounds nice and general.  It could just be the jugs, but the jugs might be smaller.  This was one of the last sort of unresolved quibbles for this release.

Yes, amphorae are a specific design and origin, and I think it will actually be impossible to find a name for these particular ceramics that isn't specific to a particular culture, style, or use.  I think "vessel" is the technical catch-all term for any kind of "ceramics-for-storage", even though it's almost unbearably generic.

Personally, I like olla (of either the specifically Roman or more generic kind), regardless of the controversy it might induce...
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: February 05, 2011, 04:20:50 pm »

Total subject change, but...

Recently in another thread, where I have been trying to revise the entire Improved Farming suggestion system, and also trying to include a system for farming "xenosynthetic"/"magic" plants, there was some talk about how you were planning on revising the sphere system.  I tried doing a search on it, but came up empty, so I figure I might as well come to the source.

If you are planning on changing the sphere system, how are you planning on changing it?  Are you still planning on introducing spheres as a replacement for the simpler Good/Evil Benign/Savage system of biomes, and if so, how far down are you planning on consolidating spheres (since it would be almost impossible to have different biomes and creatures for 128 different spheres)?

... hopefully that's not too complex a question this time.  Having some feedback on this really helps divine where the suggestions themselves should go to have a fair chance of actually supplementing your vision in making this game, rather than opposing it.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: February 05, 2011, 06:30:30 pm »

Quote from: Jiri Petru
No, it's not the same. The personalities actually miss important stuff like "cruel", "evil", "ambitious", "envious" etc... But even if they were there, the main point is that numbered 0-100 scales simply aren't the way people think and stories work.

--

I seem to remember Toady talking something about how the system probably needs to be replaced because it's too modern, politically correct and generally unfitting. It was while they were talking about bandit leaders, I think, but I can't find
it.
Quote from: MrWiggles
Will the personality and need rewrite include the foot work for the the ability for dorfs to commit crime? Such as but not limited to murder, theft, and corruption? (Like embezzling)
Quote from: Heph
From my PoV we dont need actually traits for "cruelness", being "envious" or being "evil" because either they are can be calculated from the current pesonality values or are context based like the "evil" trait you mentioned. "Ambitious" could for example come from high scores in "Achievement striving", "Assertiveness" and "Self efficacy". A cruel person could have low "sympathy",  "altruism" and "cooperation" scores.
Quote from: monk12
What is involved in the Personality Rewrite? Do you have specific goals there?

I tried to find a DF Talk quote too, but the one I was thinking of might be in the one I still have to edit, so I'm confused.
There was a quote early in the thread in that vein:
Personalities come up in world gen, but they are kind of lacking, because the modern system is so non-judgmental, he he he.  There isn't much of any intra-entity strife, so they aren't used for that anyway.  So we're going to end up augmenting it with additional goals and "virtue/vice"-type stuff, and that should let us have people work out their ambitions in a consistent way, and then we should have more meat for the succession/schism stuff.  I'm not sure about the future of the current personality facets.  They are useful for things, but not so much for this.  Freeing up some of the boring professions for entity pop people should also give us more room for personal ambition among the realized people (or appropriate people can be elevated from entity pops if they don't arise -- it's somewhat disappointing not to trace everybody back all the way to the beginning, but it's the only reasonable way at this point).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: February 05, 2011, 06:59:01 pm »

I hate to bring that discussion up again, but having thought more about it, I have other concerns about personalities, though...

I saw Owlbread's suggestion thread on The Future of the Fortress Guard and Justice, and got into a discussion about how it would be problematic to make some personality traits be purely negative.

If a single trait can give you a numeric answer as to how likely that dwarf is to break down, commit a crime, steal things, or in the case of doctors, just leave dwarves to die, and those traits are never positive... why shouldn't we just stop looking for migrants that have certain skills, and instead look for certain traits, and just send every dwarf guilty of the "Pre-Crime" of having traits that lead to undesirable behavior, and giving them a one-way ticket to the luxury magma spa?

Similarly, the more that personality traits, which are in a very difficult-to-access or remember format, (especially when you have to go through the units list, scroll down to the one dwarf you want to look at, read their description screen, and then remember that amongst potentially hundreds of other dwarves you have seen,) take a front-and-center stage in determining dwarf behavior and capacity to fulfil a job, the more that the "Dwarfy Resources" noble position or some sort of dwarfy autonomous job-position selection that sorts dwarves according to their personalities and ability to perform certain jobs better than others starts to really look desirable.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jessoftherocks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grounds all green and mushy, in dungeons o Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: February 05, 2011, 07:50:53 pm »

Just a thought .... so with the addition of oils and i think in the sonsorship drive chickens, will i now be abled to dump hot oil and feathers on waves of attacking enemies? 
You obviously found a new species of smart kobold.
Way to go, you killed the only smart kobold's to have existed.
See? Not everyone avoids you!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: February 05, 2011, 07:54:13 pm »

hot oil and feathers?!

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: February 05, 2011, 09:14:42 pm »

I'm with drvoke, what exactly is the functionality of the dwarf-mode inn?

Is it for the locals or for visitors/foreigners?

Does it duplicate such functions of a dormitory and dining room?

I've wanted this for quite a while.

Jessoftherocks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grounds all green and mushy, in dungeons o Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: February 05, 2011, 11:49:47 pm »

Just imagine Dwarf justice, when you can tar and feather meager dwarf criminals as a form of punishment.
You obviously found a new species of smart kobold.
Way to go, you killed the only smart kobold's to have existed.
See? Not everyone avoids you!

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: February 06, 2011, 06:26:22 am »

Toady

With the fleshing out of so many things, could we have an additional use for bones?  Pretty much all ancient cultures consumed bone marrow as part of their diet - it is a high-calorie substance, high in calcium (lactose intolerant cultures are particularly fond of it) and can be boiled into a jelly that can be used to extend the shelf life of meats by cooking them in it, or bones can be boiled up to make stock for gravy etc.  Also, with vegetable and nut oils, will dorfs be abe to process raw animal fat into more than just tallow?  I was thinking suet, lard, dripping...
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: February 06, 2011, 06:35:50 am »

Toady

With the fleshing out of so many things, could we have an additional use for bones?  Pretty much all ancient cultures consumed bone marrow as part of their diet - it is a high-calorie substance, high in calcium (lactose intolerant cultures are particularly fond of it) and can be boiled into a jelly that can be used to extend the shelf life of meats by cooking them in it, or bones can be boiled up to make stock for gravy etc.  Also, with vegetable and nut oils, will dorfs be abe to process raw animal fat into more than just tallow?  I was thinking suet, lard, dripping...

The answer to this is something like "That sounds reasonable, but there's no timeline."

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: February 06, 2011, 06:45:25 am »

if it gets answered at all. toady has been dismissing requests.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #3447 on: February 06, 2011, 09:37:39 am »

TAR and feather.  Not oil and feather.  Hot oil's simply for burning.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: February 06, 2011, 09:38:17 am »

if it gets answered at all. toady has been dismissing requests.

Yep. Suggestions Forum is for suggestions.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: February 06, 2011, 02:22:27 pm »

Hooray! Release is probably soon!
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 342