Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 504

Author Topic: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves  (Read 1498720 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves
« Reply #6435 on: July 27, 2015, 07:37:37 pm »

Dear Urist McGelder,

How did you achieve High Master gelder? That sounds more like a title than a level of skill. Is there an association of gelders, perhaps with it's own shadowy council that assigns rank to its members? Is there a test?

Also, it's the year 02, and your civilization on only has 20-ish animals.

Thanks
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6436 on: July 27, 2015, 09:20:35 pm »

Dear Urist McGelder,

How did you achieve High Master gelder? [....] it's the year 02, and your civilization on only has 20-ish animals.

By my beard! Ain't twenny enou'? Why the 'ell d'ye think Ah went inta this business in th' first place? Ah'm gonna make damn sure my people never have more than twenny animals ta deal wit' if it's the last thing Ah do!

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6437 on: July 28, 2015, 03:16:32 am »

Dear Shorast I-Can't-Be-Arsed-To-Spell-Your-Last-Name,

You are running FROM a measly kobold, and INTO the teeth of a goblin siege. Meditate on that.

Respectfully,
-- the one who won't send the military after your stupid ass.

(edit: she actually made it, because kobbie went right, she fled left, and the siege had spawned relatively far from fort entry)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:20:43 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6438 on: July 28, 2015, 05:14:43 am »

Dear Ser Stabfissure, Officer,

As you are the only current member of the fort's militia, I must ask you to run faster when help is needed. The Werebuffalo has accosted us twice now, at the cost of baby animals and a few copper bolts, but we might not be so lucky next time.

Additionally, please carry this message to all of our miners (and enforce it accordingly):

Miners, please be more careful whilst digging the massive trench around the fort. I am honestly unsure how you keep causing cave-ins, but I keep having flashbacks of when our second legendary miner was flung into the flooded corner of the trench and spent so long floundering around that he became skilled in the art of swimming before he finally managed to grab the (third) newly-constructed ledge we made.

Failure to comply with this warning will result in immediate and automatic torture by cave-in dust.

Sincerely,
The Voice In Your Heads
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6439 on: July 28, 2015, 11:27:56 am »

Also, "gelding" is a thing now. Just a thought.

Not in 34.11... plus they're all female cats (hence kitten-makers) so gelding wouldn't help anyway.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 03:03:37 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #6440 on: July 29, 2015, 12:22:30 am »

Dear Urist McDoctor:

I brought you along as a member of the starting seven in the hopes you would be capable of treating any injuries sustained by other dwarves on account of our embark in a savage biome.  While your deeds in attacking that alligator were indeed heroic, your death at the hands of said alligator (who proceeded to be killed by our war dogs which were brought along for that particular purpose) means that three years in and under siege once again, are still without a doctor.  I continue to pray our traps prove sufficient and that I won't have to pass along one of the injured to an unpracticed diagnostician.  In good news, though you have rotted into a skeleton, we have finally finished the first room in the catecombs, and you have the honor of being the first to get a coffin. 

Dear Crossbow squad:
When we captured the cyclops, and I ordered fortifications set up to contain it so you could dispatch it without issues, I do believe I gave you a kill order.  Not an order for 3/4ths of you to be terrified with fright and do nothing for well over a month.  While two among you did continue to pelt it with bolts, I was further disappointed by your inability to hit anything important.  Still, the two who did something will be happy to find their new promotions to militia captains and an increase in ration alotment.   The rest of you should hope we don't see another siege anytime soon that manages to get past our traps, as you will find yourselves on the front line for the sake of live training.

Dear Urist McMayor:
I understand your fascination with flails.  Really, I do.  Spiky, spinning balls of death on a stick are amazing.  However I regret to inform you, due to the current laws of physics, a flail does next to nothing in combat.  And while for the moment we do have ample supplies of iron to produce flails whenever you ask for them, I am somewhat wondering how sustainable such an industry can be, given that we have so few layers of stone to mine in between us and the magma sea.  As such, you may take this as warning, should we find ourselves low on materials, your demands will go unanswered. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:40:14 am by Evaris »
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6441 on: July 29, 2015, 01:43:46 am »

Dear Urist McMayor:
I understand your fascination with flails.  Really, I do.  Spiky, spinning balls of death on a stick are amazing.  However I regret to inform you, due to the current laws of physics, a flail does next to nothing in combat.  And while for the moment we do have ample supplies of iron to produce flails whenever you ask for them, I am somewhat wondering how sustainable such an industry can be, given that we have so few layers of stone to mine in between us and the magma sea.  As such, you may take this as warning, should we find ourselves low on materials, your demands will go unanswered.
Flails are actually net positive on metal for smelting. Kind of a moot point, though, since flails are foreign weapons. You can't order them made unless you're using modded raws.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #6442 on: July 29, 2015, 08:38:41 am »

Dear Urist McMayor:
Flails are actually net positive on metal for smelting. Kind of a moot point, though, since flails are foreign weapons. You can't order them made unless you're using modded raws.

Orichalcum has them available to make, so.. yeah.  *points to sig*
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6443 on: July 29, 2015, 09:44:01 am »

The solution is to buff them.  Make them slower to swing with more velocity and a much longer recovery phase.

Also maybe a smaller contact point, at the expense of adding a redundant or suboptimal attack.  Thattll make them more balanced in the hands of the good ol' ai.

Also a minsize increase will help limit who can use them, afa dwarves.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #6444 on: July 29, 2015, 10:12:35 am »

The solution is to buff them.  Make them slower to swing with more velocity and a much longer recovery phase.

Also maybe a smaller contact point, at the expense of adding a redundant or suboptimal attack.  Thattll make them more balanced in the hands of the good ol' ai.

Also a minsize increase will help limit who can use them, afa dwarves.

The problem is game physics, which is why the maul sucks as well right now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6445 on: July 29, 2015, 12:22:46 pm »

Dear Human Merchants:
I think my Human language is a bit rusty, because when you say you're "still unloading" and "will be ready soon", it seems evident that you mean "coming to the depot by swimming across the lake" and "dragging your poor pack animals behind you".

Please either send a language instructor with the next caravan, or stop being so utterly, ridiculously dumb.
Monom Mishimatir, Broker.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6446 on: July 30, 2015, 11:33:37 am »

Dear Human Merchants:
I think my Human language is a bit rusty, because when you say you're "still unloading" and "will be ready soon", it seems evident that you mean "coming to the depot by swimming across the lake" and "dragging your poor pack animals behind you".

Dear Overseer Kalista,

I don't hear you complaining about our methods when you buy the wagonload of fresh fish we catch. You didn't think we somehow transported all that fish all the way from the ocean to your fort without its rotting, did you? Fish has an extremely short shelf life, you know.

Yours sincerely,
Ise Shellbanks, Human Fishmonger Merchant

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6447 on: July 31, 2015, 11:44:38 am »

Dear Humans:
Well, at least buy a fishing license, then.
Yours Sincerely,
The Dorfs

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6448 on: August 06, 2015, 08:40:30 am »

Dear Queen Lorbam,

It was bad when you started demanding unmeetable demands. It was worse when you started imprisoning military dwarves. But when you imprisoned FOUNDER MOMUZ, you went too far. You better have yourself a bastard child or your line is going to die out forever, if you know what I mean. I mean I'm going to release demons in your room.

Sincerely, Overseer Bastiongate

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: August 07, 2015, 09:25:46 am »

Dear King:

I know you are on break, and know how hard you work. But, there is currently a mason dying out in the world.  He was beaten by a ghost that due to several unfortunate circumstances, was killed by the former king after his sarcophagus was placed on a reanimating biome. OH, well, lesson learned. Now, with THAT being said, could you pick him up from the outside? Please? Just carry him away from the ghost so he doesn't die? There are only 3 of you left now. The other guy is in the med bay after running into an undead raven

Edit: oh wait, the other guy got up JUST as you got off break. Good job, king!
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 504