Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702361 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7125 on: October 09, 2013, 04:32:11 pm »

Hmmm... Lego Mecha could be a thing.

Like, an arena of them. You describe/design a Minifig-piloted Mecha, with Three Weapons, one Feature, and one Defense Mechanism.

Weapons are given two qualities: a Type and a Payload.
Types of weapons are arranged in a pentagram where each type beats two other types.
For instance:
Fire/Water/Wood/Metal/Earth, where:
Fire beats Metal and Earth
Earth beats Metal and Water
Metal beats Water and Wood
Water beats Wood and Fire
Wood beats Fire and Earth.
Some of those don't make a ton of sense, but, the elements should be replaced with weapon types such as "gun", "missile", etc.

Payload is much easier. When declaring an attack, you may choose any of the three (Rock, Paper, Scissors), but a successful attack that matches a weapon's payload gets a +1. You'll want to try and use that kind of attack, but the enemy knows you do... maybe you'll counter their response, but they could be ready for that too.

Features are the things that make your mech yours. A hazard-style yellow-stripe paintjob? A large screen on the front of your mech, to act as a "head"? Certain design features? These have little bearing on gameplay.

A Defense Mechanism is something that can protect you- a CIWS drone to shoot down missiles, a large shield on your shoulder, etc. They are given two "elements" just as weapons have, and are destroyed if they are hit by an element that defeats both of it's elements. (You must choose adjacent elements.)

So, a Fire/Earth shield would reduce damage (by 1 point) unless hit by a Wood attack.

---

Mechs are created of Body, Arms, and Legs. Weapons may be mounted in any way you like, but when a part is destroyed, the weapon no longer functions. The Body has lots of HP, but is the core of the mech and must be destroyed to stop it from working- i.e., a huge target.

Parts all have two stats: Health and Armor.
The Body gets +5 Health.
You may apply an Armor of one element (the pentagram), up to 4 points of it, no more than 2 types.
You have 13 points for every part. It costs 3 to apply another armor point, and any spare points may be stockpiled for the following:

A single spare point is worth a one-time, emergency +1 to a failed roll where the original result was 1.
Three points can buy another Weapon.
Six points can buy a Superweapon. Superweapons do not have R/P/S, and may attack with one of two chosen elements.

---

Hitting an opponent is always done on a d6. 1= miss, 2,3= Leg hit, 4,5=Arms hit, and 6= Body Hit. To determine who hits, every involved player chooses their attack and what payload it will use.

Players 1 and 2 are fighting. Player 3 is also attacking Player 2.

Player one uses a Fire Scissors attack, Player 2 uses a Metal Rock attack. Player 2 is the one who attacks for the turn, with a -1 to the roll.

Player 1's defense mechanism dosen't protect against Fire, and his (leg) armor isn't Fire type. Player 2 rolls a 4 for accuracy, which gets a -1. Player 2 hits Player 1's Legs, and rolls a 5 (-0). Armor and Defense detracts from damage, attack-stage losses affect accuracy.

Player 3 used a Wood Paper attack, but since Player 1 has already attacked once already, the attack is uncontested and goes through.

Player 1's defense mechanism protects against Wood, his Armor protects it as well for 2 points. Player 3 rolls a 2 (-3) for damage, and his attack does nothing.
---

When you defeat an enemy, you may absorb parts of them. You roll three d6- for weapon, health, and feature/mechanism.
Weapon: 1,2: None of the weapons are useable. 3,4: You attach a new weapon, including the part still attached from it's old owner. 5,6: You fuse similar weapons together to create a more powerful weapon.
Health: 1,2: You cannot repair with the remains. 3-6: You repair to full health using the resulting scrap!
Feature/Mechanism: 1-4: You gain part of their feature. 5-6: If their defense mechanism was intact, you take it.

---

Fused weapons work as such:

Lets say I have a Fire Scissors, a Metal Scissors, and a Metal Paper. The enemy I just killed has a Metal Rock, an Earth Scissors, and a Wood Paper.

I can fuse the Fire Scissors+Earth Scissors, the Metal Scissors+ Earth Scissors, or the Metal Paper+Wood Paper, but not the Metal Scissors+Metal Rock. The result is a Superweapon, capable of attacking with either element it contains. You may continue fusing with new "similar" weapons until you get a God Weapon (all five elements).

Battlefield damage would be repaired randomly- you may start in a Colloseum style arena, have a wall break, and be replaced with a mountainside, i.e., whatever the kid(s) playing with these mecha had lying around.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7126 on: October 09, 2013, 04:33:39 pm »

Mushrooms worshipping? I'M IN.

Well you know it could be trees or kangaroos or I guess if you tried hard enough even tapeworms (Whoa demigod tape worms that invade worshipers of other gods and make them worship you!!!! :D) But yay! The "keep developing" now has 2 votes ^_^.

P.S. You won't gain worshipers until around early middle game so make sure that isn't the only reason you are in.
I think that I would eventually join in even if there wasn't any kind of fungal worship there, I like games with some sort of character progression

Juppah

• Bay Watcher
  • OH. YEAH.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7127 on: October 09, 2013, 04:40:33 pm »

I think that I would eventually join in even if there wasn't any kind of fungal worship there, I like games with some sort of character progression

Noted.
... *Starts typing up mechanics vigorously*

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7128 on: October 09, 2013, 05:02:38 pm »

A team of mages that act as an anti-terrorist unit.

Cue the only reason why I wanted to make an RTD like that: Instead of breaching charges you carve an explosive rune into a doorway. It just sounds cool! :3

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: October 09, 2013, 05:43:01 pm »

Cue the only reason why I wanted to make an RTD like that: Instead of breaching charges you carve an explosive rune into a doorway. It just sounds cool! :3

What would the team be called?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7130 on: October 09, 2013, 05:44:23 pm »

SMAT

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: October 09, 2013, 05:48:58 pm »

Magic Seal Team VI
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: October 09, 2013, 06:57:12 pm »

Tsuch, you've evidentally addapted the original idea and gone on to incorporating LEGO into it, but I drew out the nenogram/pentagram combination I'd come up with:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
3 styles, with 3 moves in each: 9 moves.
9 moves, combine-able with 5 elements: 45 different attacks available.

45 different attacks? Yeah, you've definitely got something different to do each turn.
Original goal met, exceeded, and overdone. :P
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7133 on: October 09, 2013, 08:55:31 pm »

I had an idea today. An RTD about quackery! Well, maybe not an RTD necessarily, as it would be quite RP-heavy, but a game at the very least.

Anyhow, the point of the game is this: there's one constant in this world we live in, and that's fear. People live in fear by their very natures, and seek safety and security in their lives mostly. They would like nothing better than to attain their goal, and are prepared to spend quite a lot of time and money on this. That's where you and a whole lot of other enterprising people come in. Wielding the mighty power of pseudoscience harnessed into a single product or teaching, you are about to sell hope to all these desperate, depressed, dying, dismal people and improve some lives! Those of you and your associates, mostly, but hey, gotta earn a living somehow.

Problem is, you're not the only one to have this idea. And there is no shortage of those who have failed miserably in the mystical quackery market already. To survive and possibly thrive in this merciless business, you have to be the best, or at least better than the others, and subvert men and women of science, uneducated skeptics and the general public, not to mention your possibly malevolent competitors. This can be done in any number of ways, starting with sheer chutzpah and ending with clandestine murder and sabotage.

All in all, fun for the whole family. Haven't got a lot of ideas mechanics-wise, although I do think there are two elements that would be fun to include. Firstly, the methods of your quackery would have to be defined - whether they are technique-based or item-based, that sort of thing - and secondly, the player, when submitting their sheet, would have to post a detailed explanation on why their proposed method to end maladies of many sorts is not actually a sham at all, including pre-emptive answers to skepticism and vaguely sciency-sounding explanations if possible.

Any thoughts?

I think the concept is gorgeous. I can picture some permutation of the concept making a fantastic Fiasco playset since it involves characters operating in that place where greed and lack of ethics meet.

For mechanics...man that's tough, it's not something I think I've ever seen an RPG model before. I have some rough ideas but I don't know how to actually make them work.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: October 10, 2013, 11:21:57 am »

That would be good.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: October 10, 2013, 11:23:17 am »

That would be good.
Oh yes.
And accidentally be terrorists themselves, likely. Maybe they're hunting agents from their former unit.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: October 10, 2013, 11:34:30 am »

That would be good.
Oh yes.
And accidentally be terrorists themselves, likely.

In a way that sounds like Magicka.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: October 10, 2013, 06:08:47 pm »

Okay, page is up for developing the lego inspired universe here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=131927.0
This is going to be great/take a lot of thinking/ take a large chunk of my life to complete. Yeah! :P

As a side note, the lego mecha thing looks good. If you can manage it, can you make little flash videos of turns from the lego visualizer (http://ldd.lego.com/en-us/)? That would look sooooo cool. Oh yes, yes it would.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: October 10, 2013, 06:44:22 pm »

Tempted to do a Gurren Lagann team-based Arena.

1. Rolls And You- Kicking Logic to the Curb and Doing The Impossible
I'm super tempted to do a 1d4(d4) system for most actions, aside from simple combat, which are duelling d6s.

Each player starts with 80% Spiral Power. Taking excessive damage will lower it, along with failing (1s in combat).
It goes up every time you do damage, starting at 5% increase, increases every time you roll a 6 on simple combat, and destroying an enemy also boosts it. Once you reach 100%, you can start using it- hit 50%, and you'll take -1s in all rolls, and at 0%, you're finished.

Spiral power can be spent on "doing the impossible". Overcharged attacks (remember that time there were excess of 50 drills on screen? That's what I mean. Also, GIGA.... DRILL.... BRRREEEEEEAAAAAAAAAKKK!!!), as well as anything else that wouldn't be within the realm of simple combat- the plan is given a rating, and the 1d4(d4) are rolled. For every 20% over 100% you have, you'll get a +1. Actions like "Hit everything, past, present, future, in all spaces" (as seen on TV) may require absurd rolls to obtain- then again, there's no limit to your spiral power...

2. But What About Stats? Where's My HP?
You don't have HP. Everything pivots on your spiral power.

3. OK. So What Makes My Mecha Mine?
Simple Combat has a few elements, depending on what you laid out for your mecha. First, you get 3 weapons systems.
Weapons Systems are simple- they get a Type.
Ranged, Ballistic, and Personal. (Yes, Personal. When you bring a knife to a mecha fight, you can't deny it's personal.)
Ranged beats Ballistic, Ballistic beats Personal, Personal beats Ranged. If two enemies attack each other with different types of weapons, the player with the top weapon is guaranteed first hit, and a +1.
Secondly, when in combat, you declare the weapon and a style to attack:
You can attack Boldly, ignoring caution and saftey,
you can attack Actively, moving and attacking, or
you can attack Precisely, taking aim and making sure to connect.

Bold beats Active, Active beats Precise, Precise beats Bold.
This factors in to the weapon stats as such:
Winning the "style" RPS grants you a +1 if weapons are equal or above the enemy choice.
Winning with a weapon that lost in type denies them their bonus, though they still get first hit.
Tying with any previous result grants nothing
Losing the "style" RPS grants you a -1.

4. So my Ganmen is Just It's Weapons?

Yes and no. You may give any features of your Ganmen, and even include them as a weapon. Good at kicking? You can kick for a weapon. Don't have kicking as a weapon but want to try it? You'll need to have Spiral Power at 100% and attempt a d4(d4) roll, but such a move won't require a very high roll.

5. You Said "Teams"?
Yes. Humans vs. Beastmen. The setting will change based on a few things, but it starts off in the middle of nowhere- a desert.

6. What if I want a Bigger Ganmen?
You can upgrade in size and ability, but you must reach Spiral Power thresholds.

Once you reach one and choose to transform, you lose your energy but not your transformation. You get a permanent larger die (d6, d8, d10, d12, d20...), and death simply results in reverting back to your old form. I may place some more complicated die (4d4 before d20, for instance) for balance, but once you get to the last die and evolve, you've won the game.

---

7. Can I do Some Awesome Things With My Team?
Yes.

Focus Fire: Two opponents attacking the same target not only use the best result (weapons wise), but they also incur a +1 if the result not used was above 3. (Teammates get a 5 and a 4, they attack with the better weapon with an extra +1)

Combination Attack: Using Spiral Energy:
Do something batshit for extra damage. Throw a melee user at the enemy's weak point for massive damage. If both of you are at 100%+ Spiral Power and are the same size class, you both roll, and if either of you are successful, the attack is successful.

Fusion/Duality:
It's possible to combine, but there can only be one set of commands. If you've got a total of 300% spiral power between you, you can fuse, retaining some things and losing others while also gaining a size class. Generally, this is reversible, unless done when a player leaves or if players alternate turns or something. Up to the GM to implement, as it's more a social dynamic.

8. This is a Team Arena, Right? What do we Have to Look Forward To?
Sub-bosses, bosses, changes to setting/arena, occasional diversions, anything that could have happened in Gurren Lagann (read: anything).

9. GIVE ME A CHANCE TO PILOT THAT THING RIGHT NOW.
Well, I don't know if I'll run it any time soon, but I guess you can play around with the creator:
First, give a description of your three weapons, mostly including what they are and what they do as well as their type.
Then, describe the actual Ganmen. You can include whatever, so long as it adheres to the base rules- which means, sure you can do it at any time, it's just if you have the Spiral Power or not. So yes, your ganmen can launch bendy death drills in the description, but you wouldn't be doing it in game without energy.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: October 10, 2013, 11:27:21 pm »

That would be good.
Oh yes.
And accidentally be terrorists themselves, likely.
In a way that sounds like Magicka.
I'd play it.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 661