Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702591 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7455 on: December 12, 2013, 01:03:45 am »

Okay, so, you may or may not remember the Mansion Horror Family RTD that Harry Baldman pitched a while back, and I've intermittently kicked at since then. Well, I think I'm ready to run with it.

Spoiler: Intro (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Characters (click to show/hide)

As you can see, I've moved almost entirely away from the combat-oriented slasher-style thing I had on the first draft way back, and now it's more of an "explore and manipulate environment" kinda adventure thing with more... subtle horror. Do things make sense? Is there a "why would anyone want to play this character?" problem, or a "why WOULDN'T anyone want to play this guy?" thing going on? I'm kinda surprised how small the proto-OP looks, considering how much hidden stuff there is for me to worry about. Hopefully I didn't forget anything.

Alright, I did it. Applications are not first come first serve, so transfer those characters into the thread by Friday the 13th! 'Tis the season for cosmic horror...

Ooh. I'll be there tomorrow.

This link will only be live for about a week, so yell at me again if anybody from the future needs another copy. Unzip the file, move the folder out, don't muck with any positioning of folders besides moving the containing folder. There's an excel file inside, with three buttons on it. The buttons are pretty self explanatory, one of them is the familiar item generator, the others are WIP programs. They work, but they're not complete. Much like the early version of the weapon program.

Buttons don't work if you, for some reason, don't have a copy of excel? I can't see anything but a piratepad link.

Uh, yeah. You kinda need excel to run the VBA from excel.  All of the runtime elements that make the program go are in excel, so you have to have a version of Excel better than 2003 to run the code. I might end up re-writing the code in VB.net for adding compatability, but then again I may get fancy and make a much nicer program in a better language. Excel is just dead easy to use for most things.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7456 on: December 12, 2013, 02:09:05 am »

I would sign up for Dev 22 but I'd need to read through it all again and I just don't have time.
DO IT.

Because given how you'd be quite new to it--play it as your character does, Draignean is a kind GM in that he gives complimentary backstories as to what you did in reference to who you are.

The OP lore is always useful. :)

I've been contemplating entering it with a character that doesn't really know what's going on, for the meta-reason that I've tried to read it but have only gotten through the first 50 pages or so.
That's how I play every RTD I'm in.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: December 12, 2013, 02:35:37 am »

I would sign up for Dev 22 but I'd need to read through it all again and I just don't have time.
DO IT.

Because given how you'd be quite new to it--play it as your character does, Draignean is a kind GM in that he gives complimentary backstories as to what you did in reference to who you are.

I've been contemplating entering it with a character that doesn't really know what's going on, for the meta-reason that I've tried to read it but have only gotten through the first 50 pages or so.
Well I just applied. How many people are ahead of me in the waitlist?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: December 12, 2013, 02:37:05 am »

DO IT.

All and none. I stopped running first come first served. So now it's on a how much I like your character + how well you fit what I need scale right now.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: December 12, 2013, 02:56:41 am »

DO IT.

All and none. I stopped running first come first served. So now it's on a how much I like your character + how well you fit what I need scale right now.
Sweeeeeeeeet. If you need 'actually going to post' players, then I'm a shoe-in! :P

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: December 12, 2013, 03:16:11 am »

Put a tiny, tiny bit more effort into the program, got something that I could play with for days.

Eight sequential results, so you can get a feel for it...

Spoiler: Haunted Silver Mace (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fiery Homing Shotgun (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  AOE Osmium Rifle (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Anybody want the code?
I would like a copy as well please.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7461 on: December 12, 2013, 10:17:24 am »

Hit the link in my sig where it says man and angels.
---

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: December 12, 2013, 01:21:13 pm »

Here's a thing nobody talks about in RTDs but is highly important: the original post.

How should it be designed? Should you explain the premise simply or open with fiction set inside the roleplay? How much detail about the rules should you reveal at the start? How do you design your OPs?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: December 12, 2013, 01:30:17 pm »

Exciting introductory blurb of the story, then perhaps a summary of what the game is all about, then spoilers for rules and all that - never am really sure how detailed these should be, but I atleast explain the basics. The neater it looks, the better. Bonus points for a pretty image or map at the top.

Always tempted to mix it up, open with a huge chunk of fiction. I trust functionality more, though. Might do a vaguely player POV intro for my next thing, if I ever have time for it.

(Also, Fniff, look to your PiratePads. The generators are still the GOOD STUFF.)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: December 12, 2013, 01:36:24 pm »

(I'm going to to add the generators to my signature, methinks.)

Fun challenge for OPs: make an OP entirely consisting of images that explain the mechanics.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: December 12, 2013, 02:37:12 pm »

Explaining the premise should be simple, but by no means should you throw out the possibility of also including roleplaying, and indeed if you feel like it would help you should include it. The rules should include everything that is likely to be encountered multiple times, be encountered at critical moments, or rules that would change how people decide to make their character.

I haven't designed OPs in a while, but here's how I would if I did so now:

1: Top notes (I.e, "Hey everyone, long time no see ... this is a vaguely generic Sci-fi RTD ... I hope this goes well.")
2: Introduction
3: Rules
4: Sign-up sheet, list of players, waitlisters
5: Anything else
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: December 12, 2013, 04:18:29 pm »

I like to have the OP be... kind of IC, although that doesn't quite explain what I mean, but an in-the-world intro - an illustration of the concept, followed by an explanation of it, followed by rules. Then the next post for the character sheets when chosen.

I like doing OPs.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: December 12, 2013, 04:50:34 pm »

I've built a general tech tree for a pvp survival game, as well as the possible biomes.

6 players, 8 zones, a total of 16 areas per world. I will need to list what's available in what kind of biome, based on groups.

For instance, a Holy swamp and a Dark one might have very different items, because each take from different groups.

---

Defeat monsters to obtain their loot, as well as to gain Soul Cubes. Soul Cubes can be used to upgrade your facilities, similar to a tech tree. Small monsters may only be worth a 1/100th of a soul cube, bosses are always at least 1.

Defeat players to steal all the technology they have that you don't, and also to win.

The land itself may stop you. Even if two adjacent players are blessed with forests with many edible plants and animals, they may be seperated by a harsh desert, causing the players to need preserved foods, portable shelters, or fast travel to meet.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: December 12, 2013, 05:35:10 pm »

killing the GM in-game has never turned out well for anyone
So this has given me a new idea: Constant Revolution RTD! The GM is driving this game to disaster and must be removed by any means necessary. Clearly his replacement will be better.

Basically it's a game, about what I don't care, where anyone can murder and replace the GM. Doing so requires a roll, of course, and on a failure the GM is likely to retaliate... though of course, such reckless abuse of power is likely to increase the odds of other players deciding the GM cannot be trusted. The GM may do what they feel is right, or do what they feel panders to their players... but of course, either option carries the potential to enrage or lose the faith of your utterly loyal subjects.

I've built a general tech tree for a pvp survival game, as well as the possible biomes.

6 players, 8 zones, a total of 16 areas per world. I will need to list what's available in what kind of biome, based on groups.

For instance, a Holy swamp and a Dark one might have very different items, because each take from different groups.

---

Defeat monsters to obtain their loot, as well as to gain Soul Cubes. Soul Cubes can be used to upgrade your facilities, similar to a tech tree. Small monsters may only be worth a 1/100th of a soul cube, bosses are always at least 1.

Defeat players to steal all the technology they have that you don't, and also to win.

The land itself may stop you. Even if two adjacent players are blessed with forests with many edible plants and animals, they may be seperated by a harsh desert, causing the players to need preserved foods, portable shelters, or fast travel to meet.
Sounds interesting, though I'm not normally a fan of PvP games. I tend to prefer the creativity and flavor that you get much more easily when mortality is (relatively) low and you're not necessarily competing with other people.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: December 12, 2013, 10:03:29 pm »

Here's a thing nobody talks about in RTDs but is highly important: the original post.

How should it be designed? Should you explain the premise simply or open with fiction set inside the roleplay? How much detail about the rules should you reveal at the start? How do you design your OPs?

Oooh, OP theory and construction. I'm game.

Titles are important. It gives a sense of "This Begins Here" instead of just "I had an idea fart and here it is *plop*." Pictures are always good, even if the title banner is the only picture in the game, as apart from being attractive it shows the GM has some investment in the game right from the getgo. I can see the argument for forgoing a Title if you want to achieve an "in media res" effect, but even then I'd be planning on a Title Drop in the first few updates. Ignore at own discretion.

Fluff is almost universally a good thing to have, as it's a very efficient way of giving the reader a sense of what the game is going to play like in terms of tone and content. As la said, it's an "illustration of the concept," and just as a picture is worth a thousand words a fluff piece is way better than a long "This is what the game is going to be" intro. Keeping it short (a brief paragraph or two) will attract the most interest, particularly from the people less interested in fluff and more interested in mechanics, while longer fluff pieces will only attract people willing to dump the effort into reading a long OP, which is usually the RP crowd. Keep your target audience in mind when deciding how much fluff (if any) to incorporate into the OP.

A Formal OOC Intro should address the more meta player concerns. While the fluff may be large or small based on the particular game, the Intro should usually be brief and concerned with explaining the fluff and clarifying what gameplay is actually like. Nobody wants to hear you talk about your game, they want to get to the good bit, whether that's the rules or the fluff or whatever.

The rules should all be in the OP, unless the game explicitly has few rules, hidden rules, or "make it up as you go" gameplay. At the very least, there should be precedent for common actions and situations (e.g combat, healing, player interaction,) since evaluating risk is an important part of any player action, and you can't do that if you don't know whether you're a One HP Wonder or if you can just wish yourself back from the dead. It's unlikely you'll be able to cite precedence for every single possible case that could arise during the game, but you should strive for as many base rules as possible so nobody feels surprised or cheated.

After that, miscellaneous errata should go at the bottom, including any signup sheets, waitlists, turn orders/indexes, or whatever doesn't fit into the above or arises during play and needs an easily tracked home.

I would usually construct the OP segments in the above order since it provides a natural flow from light, conceptual Fluff stuff right down to the gritty nuts and bolts of gameplay. Obviously, there's no right or wrong way to do any of this, since it all depends on the effect you are trying to achieve with your OP. For example, a game with almost no rules and a focus on RP could easily start with the short intro, forgo more than the most basic of rules, and then dive right into a fluff piece with the expectation that players will enter the game by picking up where the OP left off.

In short, the OP is the first thing a prospective player sees, and you should put some thought into its construction. The order, length, and detail of each section all inform what your players will expect from the game.
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 661