Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1289467 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #7890 on: August 18, 2017, 04:06:21 pm »

I defeated a pair of silver lynels. Without using an ancient arrow on either.

Fear my terrain exploiting skills

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: August 19, 2017, 01:13:53 am »

I decided to murder the shit out of Legion by fast-travelling to The Fort and frying them with my Sprtel-Wood 9000 (it's basically Gatling-plasma beam). To be honest, Sprtel-Wood 9000 is not a very good weapon due to low accuracy, but it does its thing. I also used modded Watts Laser Rifle (Scope + Damage mod), Tri-Beam Laser Rifle (No mods) and Chinese Officer Sword, which is a complete beast of a melee weapon with bonus critical and limb damage bonus. I had to use drugs, mostly Med-X, because I play with Project Nevada and everyone is much more fragile compared to vanilla Vegas (I wear Reinforced Combat Armor Mark II and a matching helmet, but I still get my limbs broken regularly). After everyone in The Fort got killed by my hand (including Caesar), I grabbed that quest book related to slave trade, I went back to Red Rock Canyon and completed the quest. Now I only have White Gloves to visit.

Fallout: New Vegas modded.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: August 19, 2017, 02:12:49 am »

I took on a buddy mission deviation to intimidate the police chief's brother, in order to make the chief easier to kill. I assessed the situation and plotted out my course. I first though of dashing through the roads in a technical, then diverting my course to an open field to machinegun down those who follow me. I decided it was too dangerous considering my limited ammo and weaponry, and plotted a new course.

Instead, I slept until one in the morning and stole a boat to drive down the river. The darkness allowed me to avoid patrols and outposts. I drove three quarters of the way, getting held up by a choke point with two outposts and machineguns watching the river. I snuck around one side and stabbed one of the gunners, critically wounding him to cause a distraction, before jumping into the river and swimming the rest. I found a bushy alcove to hide in and gather intel on the area. It was multiple structures held up by beams, surrounded by water.

Using the darkness and bushes, I open fired with my bolt action, killing the occupants of a boat, three guards, and one counter-sniper before my enemies panicked and cried out that they were under attack from multiple men. Most ran to safety, behind multiple buildings but a small few shotgunners tried to flank my position. I swam through the river to an advantageous point on the opposite end and climbed up on the structures. My sniping had caused most enemies to go into a place that, from my current point, had no real cover for them to get to. I made the strategic decision to shoot those who tried to flank me, who were furthest away. Hearing my shots, most of the rest of the men repositioned to try to get to cover and were sitting ducks. The few left charged my position and were easily gunned down. I wound up clearing out the whole area with only a scratch.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:14:39 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7893 on: August 19, 2017, 02:33:21 am »

Far Cry 2 has several mechanics which I miss in the later installments.  Guns which begin jamming from overuse (unlike System Shock 2 or Oblivion where you can see their status, and it's just a busywork thing to repair them).  So it's more that you pop out of cover to ambush a group, and your gun starts clicking, and it's a great "aw shit" moment.  (also if you don't hit the reload key, the animation is kinda hilarious as the PC messes with the gun in fruitless frustration, forever)

The entire buddy system- simply amazing, and rather superbly used for storytelling.  Not just the late-game thing, but...  dynamically, if they get too wounded...

But the part that maybe qualifies for this thread, in a sick way - the way you can aim to wound enemies, leaving them screaming on the ground.  You can finish them off, particularly with a gruesome knife animation, but if you wait just a little while... their buddies will rush out of cover to save them.  Which is the perfect opportunity to...  the game is fucking dark!!

Also if you wound someone in water, they drown *horribly*.  UGH, WTF

Such a far cry from 3 and 4, really...  Strange.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:35:43 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: August 19, 2017, 02:51:07 am »

Oh, yeah. The sheer amount of tactical decisions you can make in it is what turns it from half-baked, repetitive broken game to half-baked, repetitive broken masterpiece. Will you shoot out the kneecaps of a guard to draw out his friends? Or maybe break their morale with a mortar strike from a boat and sneak up the other side with a silenced SMG? Or will you rig up the perimeter with IEDs and snipe them into your danger zone?

I could go on and on about cool things in the game, especially the AI. But alas, I shall not.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7895 on: August 19, 2017, 10:58:01 am »

Took down a team of four thieves by headshotting all of them.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7896 on: August 19, 2017, 01:07:17 pm »

Yeah I really hated Far Cry 3 and 4. The story was just bad and the tone was too light compared to 1, Primal, and 2.

Far Cry 2 has several mechanics which I miss in the later installments.  Guns which begin jamming from overuse (unlike System Shock 2 or Oblivion where you can see their status, and it's just a busywork thing to repair them).  So it's more that you pop out of cover to ambush a group, and your gun starts clicking, and it's a great "aw shit" moment.  (also if you don't hit the reload key, the animation is kinda hilarious as the PC messes with the gun in fruitless frustration, forever)

The entire buddy system- simply amazing, and rather superbly used for storytelling.  Not just the late-game thing, but...  dynamically, if they get too wounded...
All jammed gun animations. And the PC actually does stuff that sort of makes sense, like tapping the magazine. Very impressive. But jamming was never a problem in that game because it's not hard to make pit stops at the armories, where you get free guns at 100% condition, and brand new guns take forever to jam.

The buddy system was great. That and the open-ended nature of every quest in the game really sold the feeling of being a mercenary in a strange and dangerous place.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7897 on: August 19, 2017, 01:16:41 pm »

I'm no gun expert, but I those jammed animations look seriously impressive. A nice mix between "proper" clearing procedures and "Imma smack my gun until it starts working".
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: August 19, 2017, 02:37:00 pm »

Far Cry 2 is one of the few games where I turn the difficulty to maximum. It's been a long time since I played it last though. Honestly, if it wasn't for guns breaking all the time and stealth being way too hard, it would be one of my all-time favorite games.

Stealth almost, but not quite makes it. The AI is great, but I wish they were a tiny bit less alert or something. A way to hide bodies would be nice too.

Guns breaking is a nice touch, but at high difficulty it happens way, way too fast. There are few things worse than finding that MGL you can get near the beginning, only to realize you can only pump 2-3 clips through it before it blows up.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7899 on: August 19, 2017, 07:54:43 pm »

Wow, thanks for that video!  There was even more detail in those animations than I thought, I usually didn't let them run on long.  Plus being distracted by, well, the people I'd been trying to shoot.
Those flamethrower and crossbow animations in particular, oww...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7900 on: August 19, 2017, 08:59:05 pm »

Far Cry 2 is one of the few games where I turn the difficulty to maximum. It's been a long time since I played it last though. Honestly, if it wasn't for guns breaking all the time and stealth being way too hard, it would be one of my all-time favorite games.

Stealth almost, but not quite makes it. The AI is great, but I wish they were a tiny bit less alert or something. A way to hide bodies would be nice too.

Guns breaking is a nice touch, but at high difficulty it happens way, way too fast. There are few things worse than finding that MGL you can get near the beginning, only to realize you can only pump 2-3 clips through it before it blows up.
Gun damage rate is the same on all difficulties IMO. You're not supposed to be using enemy weapons as, for massively spoilery reasons I'll explain below, they are always at the final stages of breaking and you're meant to buy them from shops instead, which are drastically more durable.  Also, Hardcore is a better mode to play than Infamous if you're looking for fun, as if I remember right, the game sort of has an hourglass scale in bullet sponges. The first and last difficulty have them supersponged, whereas the middle ones are a bit more realistic. Infamous is good for a whole different style of gameplay where you have to use every single feature in the game to your advantage or else die, due to the massively limited supplies, but the bullet sponging is severe.

Spoiler: MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:59:47 pm by George_Chickens »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7901 on: August 20, 2017, 12:02:56 am »

Yeah I really hated Far Cry 3 and 4. The story was just bad and the tone was too light compared to 1, Primal, and 2.

All jammed gun animations. And the PC actually does stuff that sort of makes sense, like tapping the magazine. Very impressive. But jamming was never a problem in that game because it's not hard to make pit stops at the armories, where you get free guns at 100% condition, and brand new guns take forever to jam.

The buddy system was great. That and the open-ended nature of every quest in the game really sold the feeling of being a mercenary in a strange and dangerous place.
The sheer frustration in those animations is great.

ARMA 2 had a slightly different system: you could clear the jam quickly like the well trained soldier man that you are, but.  It was straight random when it would happen, like winning the lottery random no less.  I only saw it happen once in hours of ARMA 2 video.  Of course it happened at the worst possible time; a guy who was part of a two man machinegun team, in the middle of enemy territory ambushing human players at close range.  He survived naturally, basically just ran behind a rock and sputtered at his buddy incoherently trying to explain what was happening.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7902 on: August 20, 2017, 12:45:24 am »

Vanilla ArmA 2 did not have gun jams, it's a modded feature, probably from ACE.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7903 on: August 20, 2017, 02:49:54 am »

For Far Cry 2, the biggest thing I remember was the self-healing-when-low-on-health animations. I remember when I had cramps in three different muscles and I felt like I was dying. The MC of FC2 can rip a stick of rebar out of his torso without so much as a grunt and can reset his limbs as if they were pipe cleaners.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7904 on: August 20, 2017, 03:08:17 am »

Managed to defeat a perferator with nothing but my four retrofitted Bastions, a single bomber, and three of my heli gunships. All the guns and missiles reloaded juuuust as it spawned, leading to a massive alpha that took out all it's turrets before they could do much but kill one of my bastions. The amount of resources we got from the fight paid for the repairs as well as the first proper battleship of our own we're rolling out, which spawns two helis when the battle starts.

From the Depths.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 709