Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169390 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3645 on: January 05, 2012, 09:44:11 am »

3). Do mists happen underground in caves? That, would be really, really, terrifying. On the same note, bloody rivers (Nile)

The devlog indicates that (at least in vanilla) they only happen in evil regions, which doesn't include caves.

Really? Because I had to fight off a skeleton giant cave swallow and a mix of zombie and skeletrogglodytes in my current fort.

(I did assume Anatoli meant caverns.)  In that case I don't really know.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: January 05, 2012, 10:50:26 am »

So the mists can generate monsters, kind alike the night creatures? Very cool!

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: January 05, 2012, 11:13:01 am »

Will there be special mists or rain in relatively "good" areas?

I'd imagine they'd have different effects or properties.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: January 05, 2012, 11:21:30 am »

Do dwarves try to avoid at least the worst of the stuff (like turning into a bloodless husk) or will he have to either manually block those areas out somehow or accept resulting losses?
Alright, I'm not privy to the particulars or anything, but I'm 99.9% positive that's a big NO.  Dwarves still have no fear of fire, so I would be shocked if they behaved in a related self-preservation-themed way with regards to this. 

Part of the fun of DF is dealing with your utterly idiotic dwarves and their apparent desire for self-destruction. 
where is up?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: January 05, 2012, 11:31:35 am »

Heck maybe we will see the generators start having people get lost and find themselves turned into creatures.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: January 05, 2012, 12:06:53 pm »

(I did assume Anatoli meant caverns.)  In that case I don't really know.
I don't recall where it was said, but I'm pretty sure that caverns have good and evil as well that's independent of the surface alignment, becoming more evil the deeper you go.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: January 05, 2012, 01:05:48 pm »

When you get around to random metals will that include alloys you can make with those metals? Will those metals include descriptions verbose enough so we know how useful they are? And what are the odds we'll come across a random mineral named "goblinite"? :P

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: January 05, 2012, 01:38:13 pm »

Will those metals include descriptions verbose enough so we know how useful they are?

Transmitting that information to the player in some form is definitely a goal.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: January 05, 2012, 01:51:42 pm »

How does the evil rain interact with the Adventure Mode character?
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: January 05, 2012, 01:54:50 pm »

You'll never die of thirst- blood rain everywhere!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: January 05, 2012, 02:12:59 pm »

Will every Terrifying region have evil weather (assuming that Terrifying surroundings are what you meant by "hell-on-earth")?

In any case, I am very, very happy that Terrifying regions will actually be terrifying instead of just being an evil region with [SAVAGE] wildlife, although that does render a significant portion of my mod redundant to to point of overkill :/

Also, monk12's post above brought to mind something odd...
'Evil' can be pretty subjective sometimes.
Bloody rain would certainly be creepy as all hell to, say, a human or an elf, but to a species that feeds on blood it'd be pretty much the greatest thing ever (assume that the blood-feeding species in question is itself benign, and that they have the resources to disinfect the 'rain' of airborne contaminants). In fact, if it weren't for the quasi-cannibalism factor involved in eating human/dwarf blood (I say "quasi" because it doesn't appear to be coming from an actual, living human/dwarf), I'm sure there are many real-life cultures who would go "Yay, free black pudding!" and set funnels outside before every rainstorm, or at least after they'd gotten used to it enough to not freak out every time the sky started bleeding.
Of course, this isn't really a problem; part of the fun of DF is taking fantasy clichés, applying them to an internally-consistent simulation, and seeing how such things would actually play out.

EDIT: Actually, I guess finding potable water would be tough in such a region.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:15:13 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: January 05, 2012, 02:17:25 pm »

I suppose it would depend on whether all the rain was magically transformed to blood, or just a few of the showers. I imagine the whole place would stink to high heaven after a storm, too.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: January 05, 2012, 02:37:09 pm »

I suppose it would depend on whether all the rain was magically transformed to blood, or just a few of the showers. I imagine the whole place would stink to high heaven after a storm, too.
I would imagine the miasma will be terrible.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: January 05, 2012, 03:07:03 pm »

I would imagine the miasma will be terrible.
Miasma doesn't happen outdoors.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: January 05, 2012, 03:13:54 pm »

To be honest, I can't really think of anything more awful than ratman dandruff snow.  I might be persuaded to go outside in a bloodstorm, but dandruffblizzard?

HELL

NO

I don't care how many jewel-encrusted socks are lying on the patio.  Not going out there.
where is up?
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 298