Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1260979 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #10485 on: October 10, 2013, 09:06:56 pm »

Well... okay, I guess? I mean, I know why the statues were there :P

You don't need the water at all, was what I was saying. Fairly sure lava won't uproot the statues regardless (I don't recall, but whatev'), and if it's not deep enough it won't torch the gel, either. Just drop a single bucket in there and click the timer on.

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10486 on: October 10, 2013, 09:07:39 pm »

What does "You feel an evil presence watches you" mean?

Oglaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10487 on: October 10, 2013, 09:09:54 pm »

What does "You feel an evil presence watches you" mean?

A very special visitor will pay you a visit during the night.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10488 on: October 10, 2013, 09:11:13 pm »

Ah right. Forgot about him.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10489 on: October 10, 2013, 09:14:16 pm »

Well... okay, I guess? I mean, I know why the statues were there :P

You don't need the water at all, was what I was saying. Fairly sure lava won't uproot the statues regardless (I don't recall, but whatev'), and if it's not deep enough it won't torch the gel, either. Just drop a single bucket in there and click the timer on.

But then your slimes won't float! It won't be as awesome if they just spawn and die instantly.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10490 on: October 10, 2013, 09:16:14 pm »

I think the theory is that the slimes float up into the lava faster than they'd fall down onto it. I'm not sure if that's actually how it works though, as I've not tested it. Putting lava on platforms that are submerged in water works quite well for trapping and killing aquatic creatures though.

If the lava dispersers after adding it you need to add more lava at the same time.

If you're just doing a statue farm though it's simplest to pour a little lava into the statue room them wait for it to settle and pick it up off one tile with a bucket. Test the lava level by throwing something in and seeing if the lava destroys it. If the lava doesn't destroy it then the trap's good to go.

I think that spike ball traps are probably even faster than lava, since they can damage enemies as they spawn without waiting for them to fall.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10491 on: October 10, 2013, 11:40:55 pm »

As an aside, and I'm not sure if anyone has discovered this yet, but statue spawned skeletons drop the ancient helms, and jellyfish drop the jellyfish necklace. Not sure about keys though.

Edit: It seems they can drop any non coin drop they have. Very nice.

Edit the second: Doesn't seem like they drop any global drops. Might work with corrupt bunnies and goldfish during a blood moon, haven't tested that yet.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 12:17:29 am by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10492 on: October 11, 2013, 12:55:43 am »

So my jungle temple generated with a wall blocking the golem room. As I understand it that means I either cheat with a map editor to open it up, spoiling the rest of the world for myself.... Or count the last week building a flying city as a loss and gen a new world. That about right?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10493 on: October 11, 2013, 01:01:23 am »

Well. Gen a new world, crack open its temple, murder its golem until it drops a picksaw, then go back to your original world and dig your way in. Easy peasy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10494 on: October 11, 2013, 01:01:56 am »

Or you could farm Chaos Elementals for Rod of Discord once 1.2.0.3 comes out. :V

Or now, since it's out, apparently.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:05:20 am by DarkDXZ »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10495 on: October 11, 2013, 03:41:55 am »

Well. Gen a new world, crack open its temple, murder its golem until it drops a picksaw, then go back to your original world and dig your way in. Easy peasy.

May not be necessarily quite so "easy peasy", considering how irritating drops can be at times.  I had to kill the golem 25 times before it dropped the last of its 1-in-8 drops.

Plantera at least I can understand, since apparently the Axe has a smaller chance of spawning than any of the other items for some reason.

Head to hardmode underground jungle, find chlorophyte, fail to mine it, discover that I need hallowed equipment to mine it.

Get annoyed at the fact I'm never going to get it barring cheats because I cannot beat HM bosses and have nobody to play with, barring the server which I said I'm leaving and I'm sticking to my promises dammit!

Also, the server lags a fair bit for me, anyways. Something you can do without when you have a boss that can kill you in a few shots.

Why can't you take on the hardmode bosses?  They're tough the first time around, sure, but with potion buffs and decent-tier equipment they're perfectly doable.  At least, the Destroyer is.

Make sure you've got a set of wings and adamantite/titanium (actually, orichalcum may even be better for taking him out because of its set bonus, if you have it) armor, set up an arena (doesn't need to be that fancy, just a wooden platform up above the ground a bit), buff up and go for it.  If you have Crimson in your world, get enough ichor and souls of night to make a golden shower spellbook, as that works wonders against him.  If you're lucky and have a decent snow biome, you can try going after ice golems until you have the even better frost armor set, which works wonders against worm-types because of its set bonus (and I believe it has higher armor than adam/titan armor).  Ice golems can be a bit of a pain though if you don't already have good equipment, but you can easily lay traps for them (They're big and they can't really jump).

The wiki has a number of strategies and guides based around taking on all the hardmode bosses, Destroyer included.  Some of them are outdated or haven't been taken into consideration yet after the new version, but a few others hold true.  But really, potions.  Potions will get you through a lot.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10496 on: October 11, 2013, 05:35:46 am »

DoTs like frostburn, poison and burning are insanely good against worm enemies because they can be inflicted numerous times due to the whole segments thing.

Frost armour is probably one of the better sets in lategame for actual combat, since it's a ranged/melee hybrid and the frostburn effect that, while seemingly quite weak, can do crazy damage to worm-types - rather than 1 damage per tick, it's 1 damage per tick multiplied by however many segments the enemy has. Adds up quite quickly against larger enemies such as the Destroyer.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10497 on: October 11, 2013, 06:16:02 am »

It's kind of disgusting how good Frost Armor is. With a single blood moon on my snow biome, I've jumped from meteorite armor with not even any hellstone to my name, to some of the best armor in the game? Is that a proportionate reward for killing an easily trollable tough enemy?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10498 on: October 11, 2013, 07:23:33 am »

Isn't it a Hardmode-only enemy that you must kill? It's fairly unlikely that you wouldn't have any Hellstone at all if you've initiated Hardmode.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10499 on: October 11, 2013, 07:30:36 am »

I didn't have any Hellstone.

I had 1 piece of wood armor!

Luckily the Ice Giants are pushovers if you have patience or a halfway decent weapon, and we'd managed to find a magic dagger, so they were pretty easy to kill.
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 887