Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 67

Author Topic: The Hall of Legends  (Read 593804 times)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: The Hall of Legends
« Reply #360 on: January 20, 2012, 06:44:24 pm »

What about Sphalerite's solution to Mermaid farming in DF2010?
On the Farming of Sea Serpents
With mermaid farming impossible and worthless anyway, where do I turn for expensive and exotic animal breeding experiments?  Elephants look very good as a candidate. But although they are a huge winner in every practical way, elephants are boring.  They’re too easy.  I wanted to try farming something exotic and valuable, and preferably aquatic.  Sea serpents fit that role. They’re aquatic and extremely rare, making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up a working farm.
To catch the sea serpents Sphalerite first sets up a device that literally drains the ocean at will but deems it too risky to the serpents, so he builds a mid ocean platform. Again it's not enough so he turns the whole coast into a trap. And then manages to create a working breeding pen for them while they're still wild. This is all after he walls off the map edges so the things would show up in the first place.

This is the community games section, Sphalerite's thread belongs on a big thread devoted to such contributions to the science.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 20, 2012, 07:38:23 pm »

This is the community games section, Sphalerite's thread belongs on a big thread devoted to such contributions to the science.
Uhhh...
There's a Dwarven Ingenuity section. Which includes mermaid farming. An Aussie's Checkerboard. And Sphalerite's Conway's Game of Life simulator.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #362 on: January 23, 2012, 02:01:12 pm »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 24, 2012, 03:15:17 am »

Uhhh...
There's a Dwarven Ingenuity section. Which includes mermaid farming. An Aussie's Checkerboard. And Sphalerite's Conway's Game of Life simulator.

Look down at the 'Threads of Interest' section.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 24, 2012, 08:21:34 pm »

Uhhh...
Hm. I retract my nomination then. It does seem better suited there.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 27, 2012, 04:53:37 am »

My votes for Adventure Guy and YOU ARE WIZARD. Both amazing stories.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 01, 2012, 02:59:57 pm »

Kor Fightevil the Power of Mortals.

The tale of one of the dwarfiest dwarves in the multiverse, a dwarf with a kill list so large it can crash DF, a tale of a dwarf utterly destroying all the evils of this world, unknowingly bringing elves into power, and then crushing said elves, finally bringing the world into the age of dwarves. And he did it all without any help.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 01, 2012, 06:19:49 pm »

The tale of one of the dwarfiest dwarves in the multiverse, a dwarf with a kill list so large it can crash DF, a tale of a dwarf utterly destroying all the evils of this world, unknowingly bringing elves into power, and then crushing said elves, finally bringing the world into the age of dwarves. And he did it all without any help.

I'm hesitant to second this without any proof of it.  I want it to be true, so damn badly, but the epic story and the roommate who was capable of fixing all the flaws in the code by himself stretch my suspension of disbelief painfully.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Alluvian_Est-Endrati

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGRAVERY:MISGUIDED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 01, 2012, 07:29:38 pm »

"I’m going to keep bloody gambling! Bloody, bloody gambling and drinking! Where’s my bloody drink? Anyone want to gamble for it?”

Send in the Clowns: &.&

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 01, 2012, 08:09:54 pm »

Kor Fightevil's story was just posted today. I'd prefer to wait a few weeks and watch commentary and what the author has to say (whose story is, as Urist_McArathos pointed out, somewhat suspicious).

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 01, 2012, 08:23:22 pm »

Kor Fightevil's story was just posted today. I'd prefer to wait a few weeks and watch commentary and what the author has to say (whose story is, as Urist_McArathos pointed out, somewhat suspicious).
Agreed. He also worded it as if his character needed to eat and drink, when in the current version, you don't need to at all. Furthermore, I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that he just HAPPENED to have the save on a flash drive that was conveniently left in his pocket and went through the wash, then be able to write that long description completely from memory. I'm calling total bullshit on this one.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 01, 2012, 10:08:53 pm »

Agreed. He also worded it as if his character needed to eat and drink, when in the current version, you don't need to at all. Furthermore, I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that he just HAPPENED to have the save on a flash drive that was conveniently left in his pocket and went through the wash, then be able to write that long description completely from memory. I'm calling total bullshit on this one.

It may have been good if there was evidence of this, or anything else.  Or even if he said it was just a story....
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 01, 2012, 10:59:40 pm »

RE: Glitterglen- although the subject of that fort's worthiness to be entered in the Hall was raised, there were not enough downvotes to merit exclusion.

Uhhh...
Hm. I retract my nomination then. It does seem better suited there.

I will say that this thread is intended to collect and preserve the stories that permeate the community, regardless of where they come from. This is why there are sections for Dwarven Ingenuity, Forum Games, and Epic Fortresses, and why other illustrious threads exist under Stories despite originating elsewhere on the forums. Nor do I think that the existence of other, more specialized threads precludes this thread, just as this thread does not nullify those others. There's bound to be overlap, but belonging on one list does not mean a nominee does not also belong on this one.

Besides, this one has a sticky :P

Has anyone suggested Bravemule yet?

http://www.bravemule.com/

If not, I am happy to be the first.  The artwork alone. . . 
Vote for Armok's Gauntlet
My votes for Adventure Guy and YOU ARE WIZARD. Both amazing stories.
Vote for Matul Remrit, Bravemule

Votes added!

Nominated, and will become eligible to receive votes in March. Presumably by then we'll know whether the guy with 8 posts and a bug-free version of DF was legit.

And finally, February sees one new candidate eligible to receive votes- The Legend of Lagdon. If you feel this thread is worthy of inclusion, cast your votes now. That just about wraps things up, so have a happy month y'all. May the coming update yield many a new story!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 04, 2012, 12:54:56 pm »

I'm so glad this exists.  Was scrolling through the first page and spotted Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island.  Wow I loved that tale, so glad it's here.

Noticed it's still marked as being active though - is that an oversite or do we all want to see it continue so much that a year+ of inactive doesn't mean it's over?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 06, 2012, 05:53:20 pm »

Ah, yeah, I suppose I was premature with the nomination, but at the time it didn't seem that impossible, or even really suspicious. But, mistakes are made, lessons learned, and life goes on (To avoid confusion, no, I am not requesting removal of the nomination, just admitting that I jumped the gun).
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 67