Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929279 times)

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3705 on: March 05, 2014, 09:53:59 pm »

The thing about Wendigos, is they often get conflated with Werewolves.
Ugh. For whatever reason, I just really do not like werewolves. I'd be fine with not seeing them any more.
Said game would involve Wendigos, but not werewolves.
Seriously. Fuck werewolves.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

blazing glory

« Reply #3706 on: March 05, 2014, 11:08:56 pm »

An RPG not based on European culture. I want to fight a Chinese lóng, not an European dragon, or Quetzalcoatl or something.
There's so much potential in world cultures for so many games and yet we seem to be strictly limiting ourselves to European (at best Middle Eastern)-esque fantasy.

And for that matter, a game based on Slavic folklore. Stuff like fern flowers, vilas, vodyanoys etc.
I want a RPG based on Canadian folklore and such. Like the...Windago, I think it was called. Basically, one of the many stories of them is that they can possess people, and they essentially become hyper-evil/powerful warrior-monsters.

Up in Canada, we ACTUALLY HAD Windago trials. Like a witch trial.
Seriously.
The Wendigo is also the result of what happens to cannibals. They supposedly turn into man eating monsters, associated with powers of cold, winter, and famine, and one of the ways they are described physically is with grey skin, an emaciated appearance, with no lips and no toes. Another pretty scary thing about them is that when they eat someone, they become larger. The thing is, this means that they get a larger stomach whenever they eat, so they are always starving.

This would be awesome, in either an RPG or a horror game.

Sounds like something out of Dwarf fortress's forgotten beast generator.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: March 05, 2014, 11:51:08 pm »

An RPG not based on European culture. I want to fight a Chinese lóng, not an European dragon, or Quetzalcoatl or something.
There's so much potential in world cultures for so many games and yet we seem to be strictly limiting ourselves to European (at best Middle Eastern)-esque fantasy.

And for that matter, a game based on Slavic folklore. Stuff like fern flowers, vilas, vodyanoys etc.

Ooo, Legend of Wulin Heroes is an RPG based on chinese mythology. I really don't know if there's a translated copy as that LP was translated by the player on the fly (there may be simply because the LP exists now). It's a turn based RPG with cities to explore and the weekly job/task thing like in "Princess Maker" or "Long Live the Queen".

Jade Empire by Bioware, though I haven't played it, also the Witcher has creatures like Vodyanoys in it.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: March 06, 2014, 12:09:44 am »

I want a RPG based on Canadian folklore and such. Like the...Windago, I think it was called. Basically, one of the many stories of them is that they can possess people, and they essentially become hyper-evil/powerful warrior-monsters.

Seriously.
The Wendigo is also the result of what happens to cannibals. They supposedly turn into man eating monsters, associated with powers of cold, winter, and famine, and one of the ways they are described physically is with grey skin, an emaciated appearance, with no lips and no toes. Another pretty scary thing about them is that when they eat someone, they become larger. The thing is, this means that they get a larger stomach whenever they eat, so they are always starving.

Welcome to Canada. All that shit about us being happy?
Yeah. No.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: March 06, 2014, 12:57:18 am »

I would be interested in games based on non-european cultures too.

But I dont want it to simply take a standard RPG game and renaming some of the characters to sound foregn (and otherwise using the same overused basic stereotypes), and swapping out the default-rpg-monsters with things from that culture (Regardless of wheather those "monsters" are evil, good, metaphors, non-existant etc).

Which is what probably such a game would turn into.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: March 06, 2014, 01:03:10 am »

I would be interested in games based on non-european cultures too.

But I dont want it to simply take a standard RPG game and renaming some of the characters to sound foregn (and otherwise using the same overused basic stereotypes), and swapping out the default-rpg-monsters with things from that culture (Regardless of wheather those "monsters" are evil, good, metaphors, non-existant etc).

Which is what probably such a game would turn into.

To be honest though, it's easy to change and tinker with aesthetics of an RPG, but I think it would be hard to give us a brand-new set of mechanics under that fancy-shmancy extra-European coat of paint that aren't needlessly gimmicky or counter-intuitive. *shrug*

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: March 06, 2014, 01:54:33 am »

Again, for the Pacific Northwest, you have fun stuff like survival mechanics through hunting, canoes, and orca-towns at the bottom of the sea. For the Lakota (and some other Black Hills peoples), you have some genuinely evil monsters, and some non-evil ones who's help was enlisted to fight the bad ones. Which is awesome.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: March 06, 2014, 03:12:04 am »

Seriously.

Welcome to Canada. All that shit about us being happy?
Yeah. No.
Canadians are always polite because they don't know if the person they are talking to is really a hideous monster who will kill them for being rude.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: March 06, 2014, 05:35:51 am »

I want a survival horror game where you play a thief after a bungled heist trying to avoid Batman in a large building.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

blazing glory

« Reply #3714 on: March 06, 2014, 05:40:08 am »

I want a survival horror game where you play a thief after a bungled heist trying to avoid Batman in a large building.

How's does that fit with survival horror?

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: March 06, 2014, 06:30:14 am »

How's does that fit with survival horror?

Because Batman is trying to track you down so he can beat your ass, obviously.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: March 06, 2014, 07:03:35 am »

To be honest though, it's easy to change and tinker with aesthetics of an RPG, but I think it would be hard to give us a brand-new set of mechanics under that fancy-shmancy extra-European coat of paint that aren't needlessly gimmicky or counter-intuitive. *shrug*

Image a game where some monster is a boss at the end of some level but in whatever culture the game is based off, it serves as some metaphor for something. Now instead of that, villagers could be terrified from this "monster", which is actually used by the villagers to represent some undesirable human trait or something. This is a simplistic and cheesy example of what I mean.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: March 06, 2014, 09:00:33 am »

I want a super-serious RAH RAH MANLY military shooter. Then the second level opens with a paratrooper drop set to It's Raining Men by The Weather Girls, and the entire rest of the game is crazy action movie shenanigans set to 80's and 90's pop music.

Did you try Far Cry: Blood Dragon?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: March 06, 2014, 12:06:20 pm »

I want a super-serious RAH RAH MANLY military shooter. Then the second level opens with a paratrooper drop set to It's Raining Men by The Weather Girls, and the entire rest of the game is crazy action movie shenanigans set to 80's and 90's pop music.

Did you try Far Cry: Blood Dragon?

This. It's more 80's than anything else but it definitely is this. The question is whether the OTT concept can hold your attention for the length of the campaign.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3719 on: March 06, 2014, 01:54:47 pm »

I've got a practical question, this seems like an appropriate place to ask it (apologies if I'm mistaken). I'm currently working on something, will be a while before it's ready, is in early stages, and I'm having trouble making a decision.

In a single-player game that is at least partially (in the beginning, largely) about survival, which of these possibilities would you prefer?

1. No death. If you "die," you are sent back to your starting point, keep all your stuff, just suffer a temporary setback of some sort as a consequence for dying. (In some ways, this consequence can be a positive thing at times, opens up options that normally aren't available.)

2. When you die, you are dead. You lose all your stuff and have to start over. BUT, your new character will still retain the knowledge of the old character (knowledge is a tangible thing in this game, possibilities are unlocked with each new piece of knowledge you gain). So there is permanent progress no matter what, you just have to go through the more difficult survival part of the game each time you die, which keeps you on your toes, keeps you from just stockpiling stuff and never having to worry about survival again. Once enough knowledge is obtained, there may be ways to prevent death.

So in the first option, you don't lose your stuff, but I worry that eventually the survival aspect will disappear too quickly this way. On the other hand, with the second option, I can see some people getting upset that they lose their stuff.

So, which of these would you guys prefer?
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 577