Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929286 times)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #5460 on: July 10, 2015, 02:42:24 am »

This is maybe more of a mod I wished existed...

Mad Max for minecraft.

Restriction on all the crazy items/etc. Nice and simple focus on survival and tinkering with some tools/clothing for that purpose.
Restrictions on digging. None of the typical mobs. Dusty, barren landscape.

Very hot sun during the day. You get thirsty. But water is hard to find. Maybe you have to find springs.
Very cold at night. Large distances. Some freak weather events like dust storms can cause a lot of damage, and you will need to shelter from them.

You need to try and travel to a distant location. That's the actual challenge. So the game has a beginning, a destination, and an end.
Tweaking the settings you can increase the challenge by reducing the amount of water/locals where you can scavenge.

You can drive cars, but you will need to scavenge for parts and put them together. Bandits will hunt you.

I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: July 10, 2015, 02:58:11 am »

I've always wanted a crafting and adventuring game, ala Minecraft or Terraria, but it adheres very strictly to the laws of physics as far as building and mining. Like, you can't build a loopy dumb house, it has to have a foundation, and support so it doesn't collapse under it's own weight, and it can't be flimsy so the wind can't knock it down. Basically, you can't just build a big box and call it good.

This would extend to caves. Like you can't just build an infinitely big cave system whenever and whereever, you'd need to take into account the rock and soil, use supports, make sure your underground system doesn't collapse in on you.

I'd also like water and rivers and such to behave realistically with gravity and currents and water tables and such, but I'm already asking for too much.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: July 10, 2015, 03:19:15 am »

I've always wanted a crafting and adventuring game, ala Minecraft or Terraria, but it adheres very strictly to the laws of physics as far as building and mining. Like, you can't build a loopy dumb house, it has to have a foundation, and support so it doesn't collapse under it's own weight, and it can't be flimsy so the wind can't knock it down. Basically, you can't just build a big box and call it good.

This would extend to caves. Like you can't just build an infinitely big cave system whenever and whereever, you'd need to take into account the rock and soil, use supports, make sure your underground system doesn't collapse in on you.

I'd also like water and rivers and such to behave realistically with gravity and currents and water tables and such, but I'm already asking for too much.

Have you considered going outside?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: July 10, 2015, 03:32:45 am »

But damnit Japa, there's dangerous stuff outside! There's sunlight! Bugs! Women! Vampires! Anything could get me, and my blood would be on your hands.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5464 on: July 10, 2015, 12:39:34 pm »

There are mods for minecraft that make it more hardcore, and add a lot more rules for crafting and survival, like having to place supports in the tunnels you build.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: July 10, 2015, 02:59:55 pm »

There are mods for minecraft that make it more hardcore, and add a lot more rules for crafting and survival, like having to place supports in the tunnels you build.
TerraFirmaCraft springs to mind, for instance.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5466 on: July 11, 2015, 03:39:52 am »

Better Than Wolves does around half of those, but it's hella difficult and FlowerChild (the modder) has a fairly brutal design/community interaction policy.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: July 11, 2015, 05:55:25 am »

TerraFirmaCraft.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: July 11, 2015, 10:35:55 am »

Medieval engineers accomplishes half of that, so far.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: July 11, 2015, 02:37:02 pm »

BTW thanks again earlier for turning me on to Devil Survivor. It kinda feels like 999 the SRPG.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: July 11, 2015, 02:41:42 pm »

This is maybe more of a mod I wished existed...

Mad Max for minecraft.

Restriction on all the crazy items/etc. Nice and simple focus on survival and tinkering with some tools/clothing for that purpose.
Restrictions on digging. None of the typical mobs. Dusty, barren landscape.

Very hot sun during the day. You get thirsty. But water is hard to find. Maybe you have to find springs.
Very cold at night. Large distances. Some freak weather events like dust storms can cause a lot of damage, and you will need to shelter from them.

You need to try and travel to a distant location. That's the actual challenge. So the game has a beginning, a destination, and an end.
Tweaking the settings you can increase the challenge by reducing the amount of water/locals where you can scavenge.

You can drive cars, but you will need to scavenge for parts and put them together. Bandits will hunt you.
There is crash landing where there is an heavy emphasis on survival much more like any other mod or stuff, food and water is scarce, land is real barren, check it out!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: July 12, 2015, 03:48:36 pm »

A space exploration game similar to evochron or Starfarer with a bit of DF mixed in.  You build your own 3d ship (blocks? prefabs?) and explore the galaxy.  Except you have a crew and that crew needs to be kept happy and able to do their jobs safely. 

So I guess it's like if DF has a spaceship builder.  You have 2 game phases, when yer building and managing the internals of the ship as well as expanding and adding parts and when yer actually flying about.   When yer flying about your crew is moving about your ship as well. Sleeping, taking R&R keeping systems functioning and general idle things, but when you hit a button to trigger red alert all the crew have to actually take the time to move to their pre assigned positions.

It allows for some interesting possibilities, like for example one of your turrets aren't firing, you set autopilot for a moment (basically let yer helmsman's AI control the ship for a bit) and switch to ship management mode to see that the gunner assigned to that turret is actually fighting boarders he encountered on the way to his turret, or got trapped in a damaged section and needs engineers to free him, then you can order some of your marines or engineers to go free him so he can get to his station.  Or you could have just done something Dwarven like build a armor plate instead of a door leading to his turret seat.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: July 12, 2015, 03:53:13 pm »

A space exploration game similar to evochron or Starfarer with a bit of DF mixed in.  You build your own 3d ship (blocks? prefabs?) and explore the galaxy.  Except you have a crew and that crew needs to be kept happy and able to do their jobs safely. 

So I guess it's like if DF has a spaceship builder.  You have 2 game phases, when yer building and managing the internals of the ship as well as expanding and adding parts and when yer actually flying about.   When yer flying about your crew is moving about your ship as well. Sleeping, taking R&R keeping systems functioning and general idle things, but when you hit a button to trigger red alert all the crew have to actually take the time to move to their pre assigned positions.

It allows for some interesting possibilities, like for example one of your turrets aren't firing, you set autopilot for a moment (basically let yer helmsman's AI control the ship for a bit) and switch to ship management mode to see that the gunner assigned to that turret is actually fighting boarders he encountered on the way to his turret, or got trapped in a damaged section and needs engineers to free him, then you can order some of your marines or engineers to go free him so he can get to his station.  Or you could have just done something Dwarven like build a armor plate instead of a door leading to his turret seat.

I would pay through my actual nose for this.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: July 12, 2015, 03:57:32 pm »

So Kerbal Space Program meets FTL meets Dwarf Fortress?

...If a developer announces this, they can take my money.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: July 12, 2015, 04:32:01 pm »

^^^
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 577