Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926846 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #5595 on: August 01, 2015, 08:48:11 am »

I'd like to see a game that would match the awesomeness of this forum, but that's already a thing so I don't know why I'm posting this here.
ALL HAIL THE TOADY ONE!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: August 01, 2015, 09:09:42 am »

I'd like to see a game that would match the awesomeness of this forum, but that's already a thing so I don't know why I'm posting this here.
ALL HAIL THE TOADY ONE!
Stop yelling so loud, people can't focus on the circlejerk with all the shouting.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: August 01, 2015, 04:21:17 pm »

ALL HAIL THE TOADY ONE!
Stop yelling so loud, people can't focus on the circlejerk with all the shouting.
Speak for yourself. For me, it helps.

Okay, so that this isn't just a shitpost, I'll come up with some game ideas.

Alright, what if you had some sort of top-down RPG where you're a wizard or whatever, and, to cast spells, you need to collect spell components. And different spells would use some of the same components in different quantities, so you'd have to ration out your usage of certain spells. You'd collect components out in the world, or, if need be, you can just buy most of what you need in a shop. And there would be combat spells and utility spells, so you could decide if you want to fireball some enemies or just turn invisible and sneak past them.

Alternatively, or just as a different game, instead of collecting spell components, it could be a game about using ambient mana. So there would be mana of various types in whatever area you're in; the world would be made up of zones of various kinds of mana at different levels that can be tapped while you're standing in them. Very rarely will you be in a place without some sort of mana. So you don't need to ration, like with spell components, but you are limited to casting spells that use whatever sort of mana is present in the area you're currently in, and the ambient mana levels of the necessary types need to be high enough to match the requirements of a spell.

One final alternative: Spellguns. The player would have a magic gun capable of firing spell cartridges, which are basically just ready-made spells, which they can buy or just find around the world. And these, like the others, would come in battle and utility forms. And you might be able to find or buy different spellguns that either enhance certain spells (some very specialized guns may only be able to fire certain spells or types of spells) or apply modifiers to all spells fired from them, in addition to variants capable of firing multiple spell cartridges before needing to be reloaded. And you might eventually be able to learn to make your own spell cartridges from basic components, which would take time but allow you to have more customized loadouts and allow you to make things like bullets that instantly kill their target (though they need to be made with something taken from the target to work, and might even have a limited-time use).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: August 01, 2015, 05:11:05 pm »

One final alternative: Spellguns. The player would have a magic gun capable of firing spell cartridges, which are basically just ready-made spells, which they can buy or just find around the world. And these, like the others, would come in battle and utility forms. And you might be able to find or buy different spellguns that either enhance certain spells (some very specialized guns may only be able to fire certain spells or types of spells) or apply modifiers to all spells fired from them, in addition to variants capable of firing multiple spell cartridges before needing to be reloaded. And you might eventually be able to learn to make your own spell cartridges from basic components, which would take time but allow you to have more customized loadouts and allow you to make things like bullets that instantly kill their target (though they need to be made with something taken from the target to work, and might even have a limited-time use).

Not a computer game, but the roleplaying game Iron Kingdoms has the gun mage, who can cast spells by shooting bullets. Well, he physically also hits you with the bullet, so using them to buff your allies is probably not a good idea. Now, these aren't spell-cartridges that anyone can use, just them channeling their magic or whatever.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: August 02, 2015, 08:45:44 am »

I've been toying with the idea of a game that handles the 'black and white' or 'good and evil' stereotypical morality choice and actually manages to make it an interesting concept rather than the blase interchangeable meaningless choice or merely determining the flavor of super powers you get.

This is what I have envisioned: The game would be an RPG, your character would be a person who's hometown is on the verge of being overrun by an invading demon force. Your town and the neighboring towns and cities are the last remnants of humanity. Things are looking dire. You investigate some old ruins looking for a possible answer, find a talking spirit that promises the answer, and it endows you with the ability to absorb other people's power. Not the invading demon's powers, those don't do anything, only those of your fellow human countrymen.

Mechanically speaking, you have your typical RPG leveling you know and love, but the only things that give experience are other humans, of which there are only a finite number in the game world at this point. Ordinary people provide a little, but there's a caste of warriors called the 'blessed ones' that have devoted their whole lives to worship and self-perfection, and have been granted special power and ability from god. These are the last champions protecting the human race, but only about a dozen are left existing and they are badly stretched out just trying to defend their own sections of the border between human and demon territory.

However, just trying to hang back and defend is a futile task, the demon force is completely inexhaustible, and no matter how many are defeated in battle, they return the next day and in greater and stronger number than before. There'd be a timed element to this game, where you can't linger and take your time, the enemy is at the gate and you have to muster your strength and attack them at their heart. The longer you take in the game, enemy demons get stronger and more numerous, and depending on your actions the borders to human's territory will get pushed in and innocent people will suffer.

So, seeing these very powerful Blessed Ones be unwilling to attack and end the scourge once and for all, it seems like only the responsible thing to defeat them in combat and take their power to do it yourself. However, defeating them leaves the territory they were inhabiting completely undefended unless you stick around and defend it yourself, which is very often not feasible. If you're able to defeat all the demon lords and close the gates to the demon dimension, then humanity will be saved completely, and if a few people have to die as the means to that end, then so be it. The spirit you meet at the start is also like a 'devil on your shoulder' type of character, hanging around you and letting your know just how much more powerful you could be by strangling it outta someone else.

Now, the good and evil part comes in, is that it's perfectly possible to beat the game without killing any humans whatsoever, but it requires immense tactical skill in combat and a lot of traveling through the various towns and cities, picking up allies by doing quests, accumulating wealth by being a merchant and buying/selling between the various city-states, using that wealth to attract more allies with money/food/weapons/whatever, and currying favor with the Blessed Ones who will offer you their assistance if you prove your ability in battle and your trustworthiness. Completing the game by killing no humans and minimizing casualties earns you the best ending and would be prized for being the most difficult ending to get, and there'd be an equivalent bad ending for being the last, and most powerful, human left standing. Plus lots of grey endings for varying degrees of how many humans you personally killed and how many are left alive.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:45:55 pm by JoshuaFH »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: August 02, 2015, 10:09:55 am »

-snip-
I'd play that. Hell, sounds a bit like some of my ideas, at least in the general idea of "do you make sacrifices for immediate gains or do you try to play the longer (and more difficult) game?"
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: August 03, 2015, 04:07:32 am »

I want a point-n-click, but where it's possible to have varying levels of success at the puzzles, and get different paths and scenes if you meet different levels of success. For example, you can attempt to get past a guard at any time at all, even without a disguise or distraction, and each of the varying levels of success has their own consequences and special scene.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: August 03, 2015, 05:19:21 am »

I want a point-n-click, but where it's possible to have varying levels of success at the puzzles, and get different paths and scenes if you meet different levels of success. For example, you can attempt to get past a guard at any time at all, even without a disguise or distraction, and each of the varying levels of success has their own consequences and special scene.
Implausible.

The matrix of possible paths grows stupidly big.

Each path choices are multiplied by the previous path choices.

Like lets say you have a short game, with 3 different paths with five choices each...

Thats 5^3. Thats 125 different combinations you have to account for.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: August 03, 2015, 08:35:31 am »

WISH existed, mate
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: August 03, 2015, 08:42:25 am »

Implausible.

Like lets say you have a short game, with 3 different paths with five choices each...

What if it went the Telltale route, where it's split down so that the path choices widen and then narrow down again? Could be much more manageable for something large.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: August 03, 2015, 08:55:37 am »

I know some of the Kings Quest games have multiple solutions to puzzles, rewarding points based on how creative you were as well as some accompanying dialogue, but that's not really what you meant is it?

Maniac Mansion has different paths you can take depending on the kids you choose, as each one has skills in different areas.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: August 03, 2015, 07:07:12 pm »

Implausible.

What if it went the Telltale route, where it's split down so that the path choices widen and then narrow down again? Could be much more manageable for something large.
TellTale is a magic trick. Its really good at lying to you and really good at making you thank them for lying to you. Its diamond diagram, tells you that you don't actually have choice. Whatever "choice" you make, you wind up in the exact same position.

Don't take this as disparaging. I love magic, and TellTale games. But their presentation is always more complex, and fulfilling then whats actually happening.

With the game concept as above, with my example, there 125 distinct combinations to account for. Where as with Telltale games. There is /one/ combination to account for. Everything else is flashy sexy assistants, the magician selling you the trick, and suspending your disbelief.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: August 03, 2015, 08:08:36 pm »

You could probably do something procedural and state-based and having limited elements just shifting their order around. Manually building millions of adventure-game screens would be ridiculous, but having ten rooms with a few dozen items, and setting up relationships between them, so if you take the hot tea then a teabag will vanish due to the hot tea being replaced, and if you leave the water running then the water tanks will lose volume. You still need to add a massive number of relationships to the normal number of entities, like, a really massive amount, but it is much much better than drawing up a whole game for every single outcome. Something like that could be really interesting as the player playing a ghost that is haunting a place. I have no idea what the point would be, but doing one thing, such as stealing a drink or turning on all the water taps or jangling the chains or whatever and having it have all sorts of distributed effects sounds sort of interesting for a ghost that is trying to haunt the place, especially if the ghost cannot see the people and has to figure out how the events that they cause are connected. You could do it for story elements too, give people emotion states that would have them deliver different exposition and have new entities added to the game based upon various states possessed by the existing entities...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: August 03, 2015, 11:49:57 pm »

A fully-translated version of Elona, in English.

Or a substitute game of it that isn't ADoM :/
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: August 04, 2015, 08:52:38 am »

You could probably do something procedural and state-based and having limited elements just shifting their order around. Manually building millions of adventure-game screens would be ridiculous, but having ten rooms with a few dozen items, and setting up relationships between them, so if you take the hot tea then a teabag will vanish due to the hot tea being replaced, and if you leave the water running then the water tanks will lose volume. You still need to add a massive number of relationships to the normal number of entities, like, a really massive amount, but it is much much better than drawing up a whole game for every single outcome. Something like that could be really interesting as the player playing a ghost that is haunting a place. I have no idea what the point would be, but doing one thing, such as stealing a drink or turning on all the water taps or jangling the chains or whatever and having it have all sorts of distributed effects sounds sort of interesting for a ghost that is trying to haunt the place, especially if the ghost cannot see the people and has to figure out how the events that they cause are connected. You could do it for story elements too, give people emotion states that would have them deliver different exposition and have new entities added to the game based upon various states possessed by the existing entities...

That's a really cool idea!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 577