Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926687 times)

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #7665 on: November 09, 2017, 02:07:09 am »

A game in which you manage modernish or perhaps slightly futuristic[Think swarming aquatic drones as being the highest tech and WW2 era stuff being low tech]naval warfare on planet that is basically an ocean world but with tons of archipelagos and no islands large than newzealand, with the Genre being a cross of between an RP and RTS with the goal being conquering and /or liberating islands, with the ability to take control of a plane or a submarine in our fleet personally being an option.

I would be hoping for extremely varied and customizable crafts in a game like this a la Spore, or Cargo with the hope being that enemy factions will have an evolutionary algorithm determining how they customize their craft similar think Darwin's demons meets 3DEVC.

An impossible game like this would be my heaven.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:15:57 am by Paxiecrunchle »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7666 on: November 11, 2017, 07:47:11 am »

A game set in the modern world where a huge and advanced military wants you dead. And you are a DnD 3.5 level 20 wizard.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7667 on: November 11, 2017, 02:36:46 pm »

How much do they want you dead, can you influence them via public opinion, and are any spells off-limits?
Because, well, nukes, lots and lots of nukes, enough to kill everything else even if you have a lead-lined force-cage...
And then there is plane shift...

But really, I can't help but think that it would be over very quickly. Either the wizard teleports to some remote location and blends into the population with some convenient mind control to get their hands on enough support to go unnoticed(and the obvious missile-resistant bunker with alarm spells and whatever contingent teleport or whatever...), or they cop a bullet from a kilometre away before they get their shields up...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7668 on: November 11, 2017, 03:14:00 pm »

How much do they want you dead, can you influence them via public opinion, and are any spells off-limits?
Because, well, nukes, lots and lots of nukes, enough to kill everything else even if you have a lead-lined force-cage...
And then there is plane shift...

But really, I can't help but think that it would be over very quickly. Either the wizard teleports to some remote location and blends into the population with some convenient mind control to get their hands on enough support to go unnoticed(and the obvious missile-resistant bunker with alarm spells and whatever contingent teleport or whatever...), or they cop a bullet from a kilometre away before they get their shields up...

As long as the wizard is a human, there is not much they can do about him. He can just blend into the population. Army is terrible for hunting a single person. Some kind of agency or secret service would be better suited for that job.

Also, I am pretty sure that Forcecage (solid) would flat out block a nuke. It is a cube of 6 Forcewalls and those block everything including all spells. Since Sunburst is a spell and uses fotons to deal damage, Forcewall has to block even fotons. That means that it no radiation, heat or pressure from the blast would be able to pass to the inside.

The problem would then be getting out of the irradiated area. But then again, the wizard could just scry upon a random lv.1 commoner that is alone (giving them a +10 to their will save, but they will probably fail anyway ) and then Greater Teleport to them.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7669 on: November 11, 2017, 03:22:36 pm »

Er. Photons are easy to block. A piece of wood would do it, not even a very thick one. Doesn't mean that said piece of wood would block the heat, pressure, or radiation of even a low-yield nuclear blast.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #7670 on: November 11, 2017, 03:49:38 pm »

A Pokemon game that i can throw balls in the overworld on.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7671 on: November 11, 2017, 04:11:00 pm »

Let's say the wizard is a half-elf then. Possible to blend in among humans, but different if you're paying attention.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7672 on: November 11, 2017, 04:36:35 pm »

It is a level 20 wizard, they could be a half-dragon dire penguin with a gaggle of ioun stones and a pet golem and still pass for human.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7673 on: November 11, 2017, 08:37:32 pm »

A Pokemon game that i can throw balls in the overworld on.
Pixelmon does that.
It is basically a Pokemon mod for Minecraft.
Do not visit the original site though, Nintendo has brought their DMCA hammer down on them.
Go here instead.

edit:
It basically adds many mons from the Pokemon franchise.
It adds meny features and items from there as well.
Unfortunately, vanilla mobs cannot interact with the Pokemons or vice versa.
So mobs are disabled by default, but can be enabled in the config, if you so wish to.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:44:06 pm by Ultimuh »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7674 on: November 12, 2017, 01:59:48 am »

Er. Photons are easy to block. A piece of wood would do it, not even a very thick one. Doesn't mean that said piece of wood would block the heat, pressure, or radiation of even a low-yield nuclear blast.

Well with forcecage, heat and pressure being blocked is given. So the only question is radiation.

Alpha-radiation is helium cores and will be blocked.
Beta-radiation is electrons and will be blocked.
Protons and neutrons will be blocked as well.
So the only question was, if the forcecage would block gamma-radiation. Gamma radiation is high energy photons, which will not be blocked by a piece of wood.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7675 on: November 12, 2017, 08:51:56 am »

... Didn't think I'd have to explain the entire hypothetical situation but...

They would prefer to capture the wizard.
He emits very unique radiation that is easily detected.
No spells are really off limits but shapechanging is limited to irl critters, teleportation is limited to on Earth, and the usual powergaming cheese isn't a option because the wizard has a statline of STR 10 DEX 12 CON 12 WIS 10 INT 16 CHA 14. Suboptimal as hell.
Public opinion is influenceable but mass mind control will get noticed pretty easily as the radiation is like GSR. It gets left behind on people you cast spells on.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7676 on: November 12, 2017, 01:24:26 pm »

seems like a lot of arbitrary restrictions. Maybe its best to rethink the scenario and come up with something more specific?

It would as easy as applying for political asylum in another country. Not only are they untouchable, they basically gain celebrity status.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7677 on: November 12, 2017, 03:45:16 pm »

Would Plane Shift to the Ethereal or Shadow planes count as teleportation to Earth?

I am not convinced that a forcecage would protect against heatstroke in a hot environment. In much the same way I would not expect it to be capable of inflicting death due to heatstroke from beign a perfect insulator nor suffocation, such an effect just doesn't fit with the spell's aesthetic nor challenge rating. So I suspect that it would provide protection to the initial burst of radiation, but would leave the subject vulnerable to environmental radiation, which would promptly become a thing as soon as the nuke stopped being an "attack"...

Of course, Forcecage is probably too high-level for a wizard with 16 intelligence to cast...

But yes, it would take a boatload of rules declarations about whether bullets are stopped by protection from arrows or if a hand-grenade or antipersonnel mine can be stopped by a Resist Energy that would stop a similar fireball that certainly looks as though it ought to have a concussive wave... But it could be a lot of fun to have a fair fight between one wizard and a mechanised army.
Read the First Post!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7678 on: November 12, 2017, 04:04:13 pm »

I doubt Resist Energy would do much against a hand grenade. The concussive force is only secondary to the real damage dealer, namely the spray of sharp bits of metal. Energy Resistance wouldn't do a thing against shrapnel.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7679 on: November 12, 2017, 06:09:59 pm »

But then we are back to protection from arrows...

And I suspect that a fireball probably involves some shrapnel depending upon what it hits. Enough that cat-fodder probably ought to take at least a little damage even if they have massive protection from fire... It is like, there is a lot of hand-waving of necessary secondary superpowers in D&D. I mean, just look at hitpoints. "Tis but a fleshwound" would be credible...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 577