Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 435651 times)

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #2010 on: January 27, 2016, 08:22:31 pm »

Yes that was the area i was referring to.  You might want to have a squad nearby when you open it up, and maybe pre-designate some walls to seal it off from the caverns.  I don't expect the chalice to be completed for several turns, just do what you can on the pumps.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Kevral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: January 28, 2016, 03:14:12 am »

Yes that was the area i was referring to.  You might want to have a squad nearby when you open it up, and maybe pre-designate some walls to seal it off from the caverns.  I don't expect the chalice to be completed for several turns, just do what you can on the pumps.

I knew I wanted to do -something- with pumping lava (I mean of course, who wouldn't?) but this gives me a good direction to focus my efforts. I'll have to look back further through the thread to see what the intended plan was with the Chalice.

And yes, military will be required - it clearly IS dangerous there. I fear that might also be the cavern network that Simo is in - the nasty forgotten beast who's been one-shotting all the other mobs down there. It's a noxious secretions best too, and they're pretty bad aren't they?

Ah well... hmm... I see a way to solve our melancholy soldiers problem in any case...

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: January 28, 2016, 07:35:27 pm »

I knew I wanted to do -something- with pumping lava (I mean of course, who wouldn't?) but this gives me a good direction to focus my efforts. I'll have to look back further through the thread to see what the intended plan was with the Chalice.

And yes, military will be required - it clearly IS dangerous there. I fear that might also be the cavern network that Simo is in - the nasty forgotten beast who's been one-shotting all the other mobs down there. It's a noxious secretions best too, and they're pretty bad aren't they?

Ah well... hmm... I see a way to solve our melancholy soldiers problem in any case...

Careful, investing time into 'fixing' Doomforests is sort of like discovering yourself in a slowly-sinking rowboat with twenty other people and nothing but a elk-bone tablespoon to bail yourself out. As it happens, all 21 of you have also decided to take turns with the tablespoon and it takes a few minutes to agree on who's next. There was a list, but it was washed away after a particularly big wave came over and. . .

Sometimes someone will get the spoon and tell us he's working on the leak, but after a few minutes he hands the spoon back and says that he just couldn't manage the time investment, and that we'll have to do without.

Just take care, guard Smuntsu with your life, and all will be well.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: January 29, 2016, 09:56:34 am »

That is an unusually accurate statement and if we still had an OP it should have gone in it.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: January 31, 2016, 06:06:09 am »

Could you dwarf me please? If so, could it be a male hammerdwarf named Imic the 23rd,thx! :)
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: January 31, 2016, 06:15:17 pm »

That is an unusually accurate statement and if we still had an OP it should have gone in it.
Indubitably!
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Kevral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: February 01, 2016, 07:00:58 am »

Imic the 23rd has been dorfed.

Had a break over the weekend. Pushing ahead now to get the game done this week.

I looked back through the thread and heard reference to 'plans' for the Chalice. If someone could PM those to me, I'll look them over and see what progress I can make.

As I'm playing now and will likely do part/all of Summer, I doubt I'll get far with the Chalice. However, I will fortify the lower areas which are definitely wild caverns at the moment. I expect to encounter !fun! along the way.

Careful, investing time into 'fixing' Doomforests is sort of like discovering yourself in a slowly-sinking rowboat with twenty other people and nothing but a elk-bone tablespoon to bail yourself out. As it happens, all 21 of you have also decided to take turns with the tablespoon and it takes a few minutes to agree on who's next. There was a list, but it was washed away after a particularly big wave came over and. . .

As I say - there's very little to fix. Everything is progressing smoothly, if not efficiently. Really I'm just tidying (and more than I might with my own forts I might add).

And don't we have an OP any more? Should someone take that over or clone the thread?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: February 01, 2016, 08:36:29 am »

A lone figure stood near doomforests. He carried an old hammer, his armour was bent and his clothes were in tatters. he surveyed the area, and started towards the new mountainhome. For a long time now, he had been looking for oneting: answers. He had heard of doomforests before, but he had never actually seen it up close. Only three days ago, he had taken a book off the shelves of the elder of stroking and began to read. All it really was were copied scraps of old pages found around the fort by traders, all taken together and turned into one book. He had read long into the night and had only stopped at midnight for a rest. He would continue in the morning. Only, someone didn't want himto finish. Thenext morning, he woke up to the door swinging shut, and no book. Something was happening here, although only Armok himself knew all the plans together... He trudged on. All answers seemed to be here now... "oh well" he said to himself, "ya' know i had really hoped that i could retire at this point". but fate had not been very nice... He trudged on, and never noticed a dwarf shaped shadow dart thrugh the trees.

Ooc; you can work this into any plots starting up... All Imic wants are answers
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:02:23 am by Imic »
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Kevral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: February 01, 2016, 10:56:05 am »

When I retired to my rooms with a roast and an ale, I found a strange document left on my desk resembling a crude map. It appeared to identify that blood-strewn cave I had heard discussion about as a potential site for the Chalice of Armok - whatever that might become. Is this more activity on the part of the cults? It sounds harmless enough anyway though - I would be far more suspicious of a cult of one of those lesser gods, but venerating Armok can hardly be... bad... can it?

Curiosity piqued, I dug deeper through the maps to examine the access routes to the Chalice foundations. On the face of things the route was simple, if poorly protected. The route at the end was covered in blood, and had a few body parts strewn about. The route was walled off -twice-, and the staircases had been cut. Opening this cavern up would be risky for a time.

Deciding did not take long; we should not simply sit around and continue as we are. If in doubt, dig deeper!

I ordered three of our squads down to an unused, but beautifully carved wall behind the breweries (whyso, I will not know, perhaps some engravers were just.. practicing?), and ordered the wall to be torn down. This became the order of the day as we progressed down into these unused halls we carved not long ago - abandoned why? Felling trees and caps growing across the paths while fortifying the walls, the elite of our elite keeping their ears listening for sounds of the beasts we knew lurked below.

And before long, combat!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Will you keep it down back there? Their tussle is brief, but no-one lays any charges so I leave them to it. We're dwarves, we can't get by without a little fighting.

Not long distracted, we catch sight of a new beast below!

It is close by - very close. Before long it works its way into the pool of lava at the base of this structure. Though it is made of steam, it appears unable to fly. I suspect that a land route exists down to it, but it seems unbothered by us. I also do not know how one begins to fight a being made of steam.

Otherwise, excavations proceed smoothly. Floors are laid over holes, walls are constructed. Defenses against further beasts, and more caverns fall under our grasp.

Before long, however, the soldiers get bored and I dismiss the squads one at a time. By the end of summer, most of the area is walled off with little further incident.

A few minor noteworthy actions that happened in this time.

14 Hematite: Another tantrum from the usual suspect, Don Pedro. Really, not sure why I mention this any more - it seems to be a constant feature. The human caravan arrives also, where we trade for a number of raw materials to refine. Don't really need them, but it lets us get rid of more trash.

17 Hematite: Pencil Art is reelected as mayor.

28 Hematite: The most dangerous forgotten beast still remaining alive, Simo devours a troll in one bite as if it does so every day. Maybe it does? It remains uninterested in finding a way to our fortress though.

16 Malachite: Ast Likotkib, previously an unknown fisherman withdraws from society with a strange idea, claiming a Craftsdwarves Workshop.

Kevral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: February 01, 2016, 11:02:48 am »

A -very- uneventful season. Tried to enliven the mundane tasks with some descriptions. Despite the slow speed, things are gradually getting done.

Sufficient glass has been crafted in the background to make a respectable pump stack if required.
The north half of the cavernous 'dumping ground' has been cleared. I'd rather wall that whole floor off to hopefully lower pathing complexities (if that helps).
Southern half currently not dealt with, but I need to work out how and where I would want to clear our MANY (x17, but they are all huge) furniture stockpiles into a quantum someplace.

Discovered another fun random passage that, at my guess, was used to get immigrants inside and hide them during a siege.

Probably going to continue here and make a push into Autumn as well.

One other thing I note as well. I accidentally hit the civilisations key (rarely need to use it but...)

Isn't our parent civilisation Stroking? Does that say we're at war with our founders?!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:39:50 am by Kevral »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #2020 on: February 01, 2016, 02:25:01 pm »

well, this IS doomforests....
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: February 01, 2016, 02:53:42 pm »

One other thing I note as well. I accidentally hit the civilisations key (rarely need to use it but...)

Isn't our parent civilisation Stroking? Does that say we're at war with our founders?!

That would be because you're viewing the relationships of the Goblin civ your cursor is on. They are at war with Stroking.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2022 on: February 01, 2016, 04:27:39 pm »

Also, how're the soap stores looking?
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: February 01, 2016, 04:50:21 pm »

The journal of Imic the 23rd

Entry one

I finally arrived at doomforests today and the first thing I saw was a bunch of people in a panic about a huge human like figure made up of steam. Then The overseer ran past trying to tell people about war before someone came over and turned his notes right side up. He then walked away, grumbling about the amount of paperwork. He was then tailed by someone asking about the fort's soap stores. THEN someone actually noticed me and asked a bunch of questions (yer name, yer job, yer date of birth) before pointing out a room to me, giving me a timetable for militia training and running off to talk to someone about a missing fisherdwarf. Something tells me that I'm going to have a harder time here then i originally thought i would have. Oh well.

Entry two

I have discovered to things.
Thing one: it would seem that the various cults rumered about in stroking are indeed true. One tried to steal my rations. Or i think it was a cultist. It may just have been a dwarf in a black cloak who was running out of food. Either way, that was not on, not on at all.
Thing two: i have found a proper history book with the complete history of this place. I shall spend as much time as i can reading it.... However i can't shake the feeling that I'm being watched... Strange...
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: February 01, 2016, 05:21:58 pm »

That steam FB is a goddamn pushover, send literally anyone to go kill it.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 144