Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3466 3467 [3468] 3469 3470 ... 3837

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5895048 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52005 on: April 05, 2018, 08:56:02 am »

Not my fort; but my brother's.

My brother's fort has had a human who's been there long enough to become a citizen. This is the only human in the fort.

Apparently; despite being in the fort; with no other humans for FIVE YEARS the human has now given birth to a baby boy.

The nature of this boy is a mystery. The baby human is also not showing up on this units list.
Congratulations, your fort contains Jesus

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52006 on: April 05, 2018, 09:22:53 pm »

After doing the save + make a backup copy of it (in case of the raid returning crash bug destroy my game) , i sent one of my military squad toward the Dark Pits of Spiderluck that had a small population (they were 20 gobs then less than 10 after a previous squad razing mission) with a raze mission .

After they left a squad of elves attacked us , it was actually an ambush , my 2 other squads went to the assault and annihilated the elves (they had a human in the middle of their attack) , well that's what happen when my strongest squad is still at home (9 of the 10 dwarves are legendary in their weapon)

And for some reason after the destruction of the elves ambushes, it was a time that a werelizard decided to attack too.
As i play on a 2x2 map, he was close to my troops... unfortunately for him the closest soldier was one of my 2 legendary axe maniacs.

And well, the Axe Lord rushed toward the werelizard and in a second
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
no more werelizard.

A few days later, the squad that was assigned to raze the Dark Pit came back in triumph, they had succeeded !
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No more Dark Pits of Spiderluck !

Probably the first time i made so many raids (well the raze version) without the game crashing on the squad return :)

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52007 on: April 06, 2018, 09:08:10 pm »

Combat reports show up immediately—and I mean immediately—after embarking. Huh? There's random archers on my map shooting at giant fly men...

It turns out they're monster hunters. I literally have not yet struck the earth. As far as I can tell, the volcano on my map extends down to a magma flow, which sits directly under the cavern, which is full of water. The result is that the entire cavern is revealed, since I guess anything only obscured by a liquid is considered not to be hidden.

...Okay, then.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52008 on: April 07, 2018, 01:34:14 am »

My fortress has elected it's third mayor in it's sixth year, and I've got another interesting one. This one, Betca Moistdroop, actually started off as a member of the local human civilization, the Tin Unions (who have been getting trashed by the goblins in my world. Seriously, their civilization has like 160 dwarves and 16 humans, and is led by a Gorlak. Once I get my current fortress to where I want it to and go long enough without sieges, I'm going to retire it and make some human adventurers to try and fight back against the darkness.)

Anyway, this mayor first became relevant when he became the Exalted Flame of the Sweltering Sect, which basically means he was the high priest of a cult of the human god of volcanoes.

The next year got taken prisoner by the goblins for a while (practically everyone in the Tin Unions has been a goblin prisoner at some point) and then managed to flee back to the human town.

He then went wandering as a beast hunter for a while before meeting the dwarf who would become his wife, who was actually a survivor of a werecreature attack, and a member of the Ecru Wheel (my dwarven civilization)

He stayed in her hometown for 16 years before the two of them moved to my fortress, and a few months later he managed to get elected Mayor.

This is particularly interesting because this year one of my major projects was to dig out a massive temple to the eight gods that are worshiped by the dwarves of my civilization (and leaving out the god of Murder, who none of my dwarves seem to worship, though if I ever find a worshiper of him I'll probably make a hidden shrine to him somewhere) and the way I built the temple there's a main hall, four chambers on each side, and one chamber at the end for symmetry.

Spoiler: My Temple (click to show/hide)

I wasn't sure originally what I would do with the ninth chamber, but now that I've realized my mayor worships a different deity, I think it would make sense for him to establish a temple to his god in my temple complex.

So yeah, it seems that in this version the sort of dwarves who tend to end up as mayor tend to have rich backstories.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 02:13:43 am by Pyrite »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52009 on: April 07, 2018, 06:52:22 am »

I wasn't even aware a gorlak could be in charge of a civ

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #52010 on: April 07, 2018, 08:37:57 am »

So yeah, it seems that in this version the sort of dwarves who tend to end up as mayor tend to have rich backstories.
Dwarves with interesting pasts tend to have high social skills. Dwarves with his social skills get elected mayor. The mayor of Bastiongate got elected because he was an animal trainer who talked to his animals. His social skills are almost legendary.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52011 on: April 07, 2018, 01:35:57 pm »

Packedtrades has reached a population of 60 \o/ That's my current cap.

...25 of them are parasites children.

I guess the next room I'm digging out is my magma drowning chamber.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52012 on: April 07, 2018, 02:37:32 pm »

Now we can raze sites I wanted to create a world where a dwarf fortress has destroyed the world or has a tribute system controlling the world set up.
Eventually raise an adventurer hero to overthrow the fortress or create a fortress to collect the refugees and create an alliance of mixed-races.

all worlds are medium sized with low sites, pop, beasts, evil

world 1
werebull arrival
then three 'dwarf' monster slayers at same time as the eleven caravan; riiiight
then 'v' crash

world 2
didn't get the farms started in time everyone started to die of dehydration
then 'v' crash

world 3
a couple of drowning incidents while refilling the cistern
but coming back from it
then 'v' crash
luckily learned my lesson and was saving anytime i left the comp
my new lesson is to never 'v'iew anything
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52013 on: April 07, 2018, 05:19:52 pm »

Attempting to keep the last dead dwarf civ up and running (literally no other dwarves in the entire world). Because I couldn't risk losing precious dwarf blood to militia, I decided to punch a mining shaft through all three cavern layers Day 1. Just as planned, I received ten monster hunters in search for viable hunting grounds within the first season, thus ensuring that I always have adventurers willing to die for me. As long as I keep the booze flowing and the swords sharpened, I think my little Monster-Hunter-esque Troverians won't have to worry about dying off!

I regret my past choices. They're all dead. The monster-hunters were all too enthralled with the crundles to save the dwarves...Only spiders remain...So many giant cave spiders...so much death..

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52014 on: April 07, 2018, 11:50:07 pm »

Making preparations For a fully automated mine cart system. It'll dump things from the z level above his destinations, so no wasted dwarves lives due to running into minecarts.

Oh and one of my starting seven is a were chameleon.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52015 on: April 08, 2018, 02:05:59 am »

Oh and one of my starting seven is a were chameleon.

How is that possible? I was under the impression that starting dwarves were spawned out of nowhere instead of taken from the available histfig population, so couldn't possibly have were-curses.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52016 on: April 08, 2018, 11:08:32 am »

He got bit after embark, clearly

I had yet another werewolf attack claim many of my animals and a couple dwarves. It happens.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52017 on: April 08, 2018, 04:00:50 pm »

My military commander recovered a badass steel gauntlet from the  dwarven ruins of Ceilinghall (cool name too). The gauntlet was created by the legendary armorsmith Uvash Rocksminds and offered to the baronness of Ceilinghall as a gift. Later Ceilinghall was obliterated by a mountain titan (who the baronness worshipped foolishly). Lucky for my commander, the titan was struck down long ago by a random jabberer.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 04:33:06 pm by forgotten_idiot »

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52018 on: April 08, 2018, 06:06:54 pm »

still on world 3
new lesson don't send the manager and expedition leader off on raids
wanted 10 picks now have ~100
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52019 on: April 08, 2018, 06:38:54 pm »

Slow goings on building even basic storerooms underground due to how close the stone is to the surface, not that I'm complaining. The site's abundant mineral wealth will make this more than worth it.

But I still need time to build a smithy to equip my raiders with proper armor, if nothing else. I think i might try some general theft for now, before I try to lay waste to a retreat or hamlet.

Still no booze, food is low, and only the barest frame of a tavern to serve as a temporary shelter and a depot are built. Tough goings.
Pages: 1 ... 3466 3467 [3468] 3469 3470 ... 3837