Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32

Author Topic: Aspects of Eight RTD [Turn 19: Intent]  (Read 38276 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: Aspects of Eight RTD [Recruiting 0/8]
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2014, 06:08:49 pm »

If Froggy wanted to be in the game, then he should have put more effort into his character, seeing as how the OP specifically asked for detail.
I meant to be vague especially with my goals as I am chaotic and undefined.
The problem I have with this is that it's in serious danger of being a boring blob. It's similar to the "evil villain" problem- if you make your villain "evil" and not much else because "they're a villain," they tend to come out flat and uninteresting. Making a chaos god vague and ill-defined because chaos is prone to essentially the same issue.
Or, put another way, I want eight hopefully interesting characters, not seven hopefully interesting characters and an incoherent force, or seven hopefully interesting characters and then whatever comes out of the mystery box.
Agreed.
And we don't really need a "designated villain," which is what the undefined chaos probably would be.
I would have to disagree. Chaos is change and randomness. Often due to most societies' obsession with order chaotic people are portrayed as evil. If designed/played right a truly chaotic character can prove to be a rare neutral party as they simply don't care about the orderly and arbitrary boundaries between two different sides. They can appear evil if they specifically try to cause chaos among people which is generally harmful but if they are simply trying to change the environment and "rules of the game" then they can be very interesting especially if they don't have any well defined or long term goals. I chose my odd avatar because I consider a four armed goat-legged mountain man with the tongue of a dragon just the kind of shape the embodiment of chaos would take if restricted to one form as it makes very little sense and incorporates images of things both "good" and "evil".
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 06:16:54 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2014, 07:02:10 pm »

GWG, I'm gonna try making a planet of creatures without blood of any equivalent, but the normal lifeforms will have blood for convenience's sake.
Neat. Might I suggest looking into cnidarians and other such organisms with no bloody substances?

-snip-
That's what a good chaos deity can be. Yours? Vague enough to look more like the boring evil standard villain.
"No long-term goals" can as easily mean "new random evil plot each week" ad "wants to mess with things," and your lack of any goals (even "keep things interesting"--not a great goal either, but better than a row of ?'s) suggests more the former. "Random avatar" doesn't mean much. "Mixes elements of good and evil" can as easily mean "trying not to look like an obvious villain" as "mixture of good and evil," which is irrelevant since all of those traits are either more associated with evil (goat legs, arguably dragon's tongue) or neutral (other stuff). I could go on, but you didn't provide us much to do so with...which is really the biggest problem. It looked like you hadn't put much effort into the sheet, which lead to the assumption that A. you didn't put much more work into the "secret" goals/plans/whatever that you didn't include in the Goals section; B. you don't think much of this game and/or want an easy place to "turn off your brain"; and C. you didn't invest much in the game, so why should you benefit more than someone who did (and who probably also has a more interesting god)?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2014, 07:06:30 pm »

GWG, I'm gonna try making a planet of creatures without blood of any equivalent, but the normal lifeforms will have blood for convenience's sake.
Neat. Might I suggest looking into cnidarians and other such organisms with no bloody substances?

-snip-
That's what a good chaos deity can be. Yours? Vague enough to look more like the boring evil standard villain.
"No long-term goals" can as easily mean "new random evil plot each week" ad "wants to mess with things," and your lack of any goals (even "keep things interesting"--not a great goal either, but better than a row of ?'s) suggests more the former. "Random avatar" doesn't mean much. "Mixes elements of good and evil" can as easily mean "trying not to look like an obvious villain" as "mixture of good and evil," which is irrelevant since all of those traits are either more associated with evil (goat legs, arguably dragon's tongue) or neutral (other stuff). I could go on, but you didn't provide us much to do so with...which is really the biggest problem. It looked like you hadn't put much effort into the sheet, which lead to the assumption that A. you didn't put much more work into the "secret" goals/plans/whatever that you didn't include in the Goals section; B. you don't think much of this game and/or want an easy place to "turn off your brain"; and C. you didn't invest much in the game, so why should you benefit more than someone who did (and who probably also has a more interesting god)?
I have to agree with this honestly.

And I'm thinking of a couple different types of organisms, I'll look into those though, thanks for the suggestion.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2014, 07:24:19 pm »

-snip-
The idea wasn't so much he has no goals it's more specifically no long term goals. He would basically do whatever came to mind without specifically trying to hurt people as you say with "new random evil plot each week" and more likely would help people (as well as changing their plans with his own input) as that would lead to greater change randomness and chaos. Also as for mix of good and evil I meant all of them are neutral as in modern media all of those have been traits of both heroes and villains. I'm also "trying not to look like an obvious villain" because I do not intend to be one. I'm also not trying to "turn off my brain" as how I intend to play this character is not mindlessly chaotic but more over active in his ideas. I invest the same amount in all games at the start and am not implying that Lyeos did not make a good character or is less worthy than me. My main idea was for my character to start random and goalless and to retain at least some of that throughout the game while still progressing his character and his relationships with others.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2014, 08:09:26 pm »

The problem is that you're claiming all these things without anything to back them up. You say that you have non-long-term goals, but didn't list them in your character sheet. You say you want to not be a villain, but you haven't given anything to suggest that. You say you don't want to turn your brain off, but your character sheet lacks any evidence of it having been on during the creation. Okay, the parallelism made that harsher than intended, but seriously, that was uninspired.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2014, 08:13:39 pm »

The problem is that you're claiming all these things without anything to back them up. You say that you have non-long-term goals, but didn't list them in your character sheet. You say you want to not be a villain, but you haven't given anything to suggest that. You say you don't want to turn your brain off, but your character sheet lacks any evidence of it having been on during the creation. Okay, the parallelism made that harsher than intended, but seriously, that was uninspired.
Seconded.

The only goal you might have been listing is raising eyebrows, and if that is the case your sheet has already accomplished your goal.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2014, 08:15:33 pm »

I personally think you put no effort into a character for a game that specifically requested effort Froggy.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2014, 08:38:48 pm »

I think you guys are being a bit harsh on Froggy. It's true that most of his character sheet makes me wince, but he did have one interesting bit:
Personality
Generally fun based but has a surprisingly strong moral compass.

Plus, his main rival has a lot of the same issues:
Personality: It flip-flops. Will try to help you one minute, then try to kill you the next. To be more specific, Rassura is slightly crazy, so he has multiple personalities.
Goals: Play everyone against each other so chaos will win in the end. Or make things fun! Whichever comes first!
I like his physical description a lot, and obviously his name is better... but a bipolar multiple personality chaos god isn't exactly immune to the same concerns a blank one is.

In more general news, character selection is more difficult than I was expecting. Baldman's in particular is riding the line between interesting and headache.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
Re: Aspects of Eight RTD [Selecting... ... ...]
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2014, 08:40:42 pm »

I can change it if you want. I suppose Froggy could too, though.
Take a closer look at this text!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2014, 08:51:51 pm »

I kind of don't want to hang up the game having everyone do endless rewrites, but if you think you can make some helpful adjustments then I don't see why not.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2014, 08:52:44 pm »

I did not list my shot term goals because they do not currently exist. This character's goals are based almost entirely on the people and world around him. I have not shown any proof that I don't want to be a villain (except my personality section) be cause I don't want to be a hero either. My character sheet is largely bare because he and his actions are based largely on his environment. The problem is that I am trying to build a neutral, adaptable character and that is hard to put into a static character sheet.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2014, 08:56:29 pm »

Can you post who you have decided to accept? You could also have people vote on the undecided ones, if you aren't sure who to chose.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2014, 08:59:09 pm »

Done. I don't know if you would consider it "better", and I realized that there are some aspects of Kevak's apparently many of the others' characters' in it after I typed it up, but it's all I have in me right now. Dang, I need to be more original. Although I suppose everyone's idea of "balance" will be different.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:11:37 pm by Lyeos »
Take a closer look at this text!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2014, 09:34:47 pm »

The problem is that I am trying to build a neutral, adaptable character and that is hard to put into a static character sheet.
The real problem, I think, is that a perfectly neutral, adaptable character is literally just a blank sheet. You kind of need to break with your own concept to pull it off successfully, which is both counterintuitive and requires some potentially difficult decisions.

Can you post who you have decided to accept? You could also have people vote on the undecided ones, if you aren't sure who to chose.
This will probably be necessary. Um. I do have my little unedited notes here, I suppose I could let people peer into my brainmeats directly...
In essence:

Order and Life are neat and I like them.
Air, Water, and Death are okay, but I have minor quibbles with them in one form or another.
Earth is a contest between okay but not great and something that really doesn't seem to have any Earth influences at all. I do want people to get creative with their personalities and such, but Trousers really reads like what it is- a concept that's completely unrelated to its Aspect.
Chaos is a tossup between two stereotypically vague Chaos things. I like certain parts of each better than the other.
Fire is a really tough one. Boundless Gluttony is probably my first stable choice, with Judging Serpent close but second. Gnomedome's one of those wonky things that's anywhere from first to last place.

Done. I don't know if you would consider it "better", and I realized that there are some aspects of Kevak's apparently many of the others' characters' in it after I typed it up, but it's all I have in me right now. Dang, I need to be more original. Although I suppose everyone's idea of "balance" will be different.
I like this one more now. Much more personality, but still recognizable as a Chaos entity.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32