Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084889 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #12180 on: September 08, 2016, 10:03:24 am »

man, making it easier for no-skill esfs to farm infantry is exactly what the game needed

at least the starter guns were made decent.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12181 on: September 08, 2016, 12:35:12 pm »

The changes to newbie gear is also a little strange if only because it's come a fair bit too late. The game's nearly 4 years old now.

Veteran players who haven't unlocked the stuff for whatever reason got it too.
Yes, but at this point if they haven't unlocked that stuff they probably didn't want/need it anyways. Maybe if they keep creating new characters it'd help just a tad...?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12182 on: September 17, 2016, 07:21:16 pm »

Slightly annoyed at my recent acquisition of a new carbine: the T5 AMC. It using it felt fantastic on the shooting range, with a very tight shot spread and able to kill a target at the far end of the range in less than half a clip, but ever since I started using it, I keep dying in two or three hits at the most. Took me nearly an hour just to score a single direct kill with it(some assists beforehand though) after getting it a few days ago. It's not even that I'm shooting terribly bad, I killed even before I can fire, at all ranges. Spent most of the rest of that session in a tank.

It improved a fair amount later on playing today, when I actually started getting kills, including (cloaked) infiltrators, (flying) light assaults, and (shielded) heavy assaults. Currently using it with the compensator and adv. foregrip attachments, with normal ironsights and ammo.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #12183 on: September 17, 2016, 07:24:09 pm »

Yeah, I experienced similar when I bought the TRAP.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12184 on: September 17, 2016, 08:20:10 pm »

That is how it always is. Invest in a skyguard for your lightning, all the planes ground themselves. Buy a new shotty, sniper battles for days. Finally get a battle galaxyup and running, everyone is an aa heavy. I have no idea how they know, but they do.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #12185 on: September 17, 2016, 08:24:27 pm »

It's a conspiracy! Only reasonable explanation.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12186 on: September 18, 2016, 08:06:55 am »

I'm starting to think that they secretly nerfed the Walker AA gun and Sunderer Deployment Shield, or buffed ESFs so that they can tank an entire Walker load while being able to punch through my shields in the the time it takes to empty the Walker's magazine(about 5 seconds). Plus, the guy(a Scythe) was firing missiles and main guns at the same time.

Also lost more than one Sunderer to the same MAX with a pair of Cosmoses punching through the shield within a couple of shots. Likewise lost another Sunderer to a Lightning that all but ignored the shields. Also ran into possibly two people teleporting just now. One took out my tank(in two or three shots) with a base turret while I was busy with a gate shield generator(Mao SW Gate). As I run back into the shieldgen room for cover, the same guy is already shooting me in the back with his gun, and even before the death screen is loaded the generator is repaired. The other was that last Sunderer that was attacked by the Lightning. I had just taken down a LA fairy that tried to C4 it(failed), and that MAX had started damaging it(I don't know if his shots detonated the C4), so I got in and drove off about 1.5km away. And it wasn't actually the Lightning tank that destroyed the Sunderer, it was the LA I killed before, somehow reaching me from that far away despite the fact that my retreat was in a fairly random direction.

On the other hand, I put a dot sight on my T5 AMC, and managed to nearly solo 3-4 people repeatedly, only losing when they pulled armor and that Cosmos MAX.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12187 on: September 26, 2016, 12:11:24 pm »

Double-postification!

If anyone is finding it impossible to launch the game due to an error that reads "There was a problem getting the list of files for download. An update may be in progress. Please try again in 20-30 minutes", which has so far been preventing me from playing all day, someone found a fix:

Add the following to
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

64.37.169.11 manifest.patch.station.sony.com

I should point out that "hosts" at the end of that folder address is actually an extensionless text file, not a folder itself. Also how they figured that one out, I have no clue. I think something with DBG's update servers derped and it reset the place to check the files to the original SOE servers(which no longer exist).

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12188 on: September 27, 2016, 08:14:42 am »

So, what became of this game? I quit quite a while ago; I think the new vehicle secondaries just hit the test server when I called it quits. There were a lot of concerns with the SOE/Daybreak switch, the dwindling player base making the game unplayable at bad hours, and their very unfocused attitude when it comes to patches that made me feel like Planetside was on its way out. Frankly it pissed me off because PS2 at its best (large clashes of players in good bases with a lot of back & forth) is probably the funnest game I've played in years. Thinking I might lose that because of how it was managed made me sick.

Obviously its still alive and kicking, so a lot of that pessimism was either ill-founded or the underlying problems were fixed, but where is it actually? Is it still going through slow heat death? Have the devs focused their attention on PS2's underlying issues, or are they still focused on patchwork content updates? Is this game still going to be around in a few years?

(Part of the reason I ask is because this topic is mostly dead and I'm hoping that isn't indicative of the game)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:24:18 am by Rex_Nex »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12189 on: September 27, 2016, 08:27:33 am »

It was pretty fun around when the ANTs came out, but I haven't played much since then. Got other things to do.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12190 on: September 27, 2016, 09:46:30 am »

Is this game still going to be around in a few years?

Seeing as Planetside 1 was developed in much the same horrible way, I'm sure it will limp along for a decade or so.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12191 on: September 27, 2016, 10:14:09 am »

So, what became of this game? I quit quite a while ago; I think the new vehicle secondaries just hit the test server when I called it quits. There were a lot of concerns with the SOE/Daybreak switch, the dwindling player base making the game unplayable at bad hours, and their very unfocused attitude when it comes to patches that made me feel like Planetside was on its way out. Frankly it pissed me off because PS2 at its best (large clashes of players in good bases with a lot of back & forth) is probably the funnest game I've played in years. Thinking I might lose that because of how it was managed made me sick.

Obviously its still alive and kicking, so a lot of that pessimism was either ill-founded or the underlying problems were fixed, but where is it actually? Is it still going through slow heat death? Have the devs focused their attention on PS2's underlying issues, or are they still focused on patchwork content updates? Is this game still going to be around in a few years?

(Part of the reason I ask is because this topic is mostly dead and I'm hoping that isn't indicative of the game)

A big ol' Construction update hit a few months back, which revived the population somewhat; we can actually get a decent match going on the Australia/Asia Pacific server nowadays. Additionally, there were numerous bugs that got fixed as of that update; remember when C4 would fizzle 50% of the time and vehicles would occasionally drop you into space when you exited them? I recall the population plummetting at that time.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12192 on: September 27, 2016, 11:52:55 am »

This is the last six months on Emerald.  A bit slower in September, but not really much change in that time frame.  The bump at the front is when the construction update came out, I believe.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12193 on: September 27, 2016, 06:44:16 pm »

Oof, those numbers are kinda rough. Game had ~1200 players on Emerad playing when I quit, now there's around half that. Still hanging on there, though.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12194 on: September 27, 2016, 06:59:11 pm »

They still have four servers that all get 1000+ players in prime time every day.

That's a lot of server merging to go before the game becomes unplayable, unless you can't stand cross Atlantic ping (or you play on Briggs...)
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 826