Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691515 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7920 on: February 07, 2022, 02:58:56 am »

I think that Novel Scoops guy started it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: February 07, 2022, 03:39:28 am »

Which is larger, the circumference of the Earth's moon or the radius of the Earth?
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #7922 on: February 07, 2022, 05:06:29 am »

The circumference. If the Earth’s radius was larger (and assuming they were both perfect spheres) then radius of the moon would be less than a sixth (~=1/(2pi)) of the Earth’s. But it’s really somewhere between a third and a fourth of the Earth’s radius.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: February 26, 2022, 09:34:33 pm »

What's better then understanding?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7924 on: February 26, 2022, 10:53:46 pm »

Huh?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7925 on: February 26, 2022, 11:00:26 pm »

I don’t think there’s anything better than the clarity gained from understanding, though this does come from my own perspective in which understanding generally involves empathy, if it’s something to do with another person.

That “aha!” moment when you figure out a something is always pleasant, though it could just be the end of frustration in relation to a hitherto unsolved problem.

This might also be why I don’t tend to seek out such problems: the uncertainty involved in how long it will take is inevitably not worth either solving the problem before the frustration builds up to the point of pleasant release, or the build-up lasts too long so the release is not worth the amount of time spent in that unpleasant heightened state.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: February 27, 2022, 12:06:29 am »

Overstating?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: February 27, 2022, 12:24:21 am »

Overseeing, clearly.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: February 27, 2022, 02:24:34 am »

Falling into a well?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: February 27, 2022, 07:53:20 am »

What people mean when they say ''white people''? Do they mean as skin color? Being of European descent? Or is it a catch-all label for ''Westerners''?

I guess I am too ''foreign alien'' to understand.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7931 on: February 27, 2022, 08:19:37 am »

I think people mean different stuff depending on where they grew up/how racist their family was.

Where I grew up, white was a catch-all for white skinned, it included basically anyone with European roots (Jewish, Spanish, Greek, Romanian, etc) and light-skinned populations of Arabs and First Nations folks. When I moved to a more conservative, less diverse area, that definition changed to exclude everyone I listed there (yes, even Spaniards). Part of this could also just be me paying more attention to it, though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: February 27, 2022, 08:20:26 am »

To my understanding, it's primarily light-skinned European descent westerners, primarily directed at the UK, US, and Canada.

The term can also be used more specifically to refer to the particular brand of milquetoast middle class suburbanite that gets represented in things like the MiddleClassFancy memes or that's regularly parodied on Boondocks (although they also give a fair amount of attention to incensed, ignorant rednecks and hillbillies, who can also occasionally be the groups referred to by the term "White people").

Generally, it's a term used slightly less to refer to a particular ethnic group, and more to poke at the social classes of people who are predominantly made up of "White people" thanks to historic trends; those social classes being the myopic and somewhat narcissistic type that has very little understanding of troubles or worldviews outside of their very limited bubble, regardless of whether or not they're suburbanites, hipsters, hippies, yuppies, rednecks, hillbillies, or the Queen.

But all that said, I myself am a "White people", so I like to make affirmative and confident statements on things that I don't really have an expansive understanding of. Your mileage may vary.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: February 27, 2022, 08:28:11 am »

Theoretically it's a skin color. Practically it's whatever folks want it to mean at the moment; it's been a moving target since it was a meaningful term of use. Generally these days it's going to mean pale folks of european descent, without latin/jewish/roma/asian/etc. phenotype expression. Non-mexico north American and most of Europe demographic majorities, basically.

"Western" isn't a 100% overlap, but it's closest. European descent is largely necessary but not sufficient -- plenty of folks with European ancestry (often enough due to rape somewhere in the past, bleh) aren't considered white. Skin color only counts so much, lot of people largely pale skinned aren't considered white for one reason or another (stateside, see the "Hispanic white" demographic, who are generally white passing right until a xenophobe decides they aren't).

More or less, it's whatever the current majority of people that consider themselves white call white. If that sounds like an inconsistent or confusing heuristic, well. Yes. Yes, it is. Race is pretty close to entirely a social construct (genetics do not give a damn about what we call white or black or whatever people, they a shitton messier), without much care about things like consistency or sense, ha, so you can't really expect consistency or sense.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: February 27, 2022, 04:16:34 pm »

Okay, after 3 consecutive social science essays, a much simpler question is in order.

Is ketchup a smoothie?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 638