Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 136

Author Topic: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell - Please do not feed the nobles  (Read 559337 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell (BATTLEFAILED 4) - It lives
« Reply #630 on: September 14, 2012, 11:11:03 pm »

I think if the entrance was redesigned, we might stand a chance of getting migrants into the fort. THe biggest issue right now is to get to the door, they've got to get to the center of the map. Best bet IMHO is to install entrance hatchways close to the edges, and designate meeting halls close to them.

We've got at least one pick still stashed (I can't find the other one), so digging is not impossible. Should we loose the pick, we'll have to break down the trade depot, build a furnace, make two units of charcoal, and forge a copper one from the nuggets sitting directly below the aquifer.

Best luck on getting migrants in is to draft them the moment they step onto the map, then use squad move commands (I've had hit or miss luck with burrowing). Station them in the hall that connects the hatch to the surface then unlock the hatch. They *should* make it in. Biggest issue is making sure they aren't contaminated but I don't think we can do much about that for the moment ...

(Bathtubs have an annoying habit of holding onto dust/extracts and while it might just seem like water, dwarfs can melt after going through one).

Breeding isn't an option since as previously pointed out, both of our adults are widows, and we have two male children (if we can even stand to wait the 20+ years it would take to get breeding stock out of them).
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #631 on: September 15, 2012, 04:32:40 am »

and dorf me as Kaamanen, thank you.

Good luck with that, mate.

Oops, didnt notice the dwarf total is 4. The must have been living fun times indeed.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 15, 2012, 06:30:56 am »

You might want to make a sealed room (as in completely walled in) with some emergency digging tools, weapons and provisions.  Otherwise reclaim scatter will most likely put key equipment out in the nefarious mist'ed areas

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 15, 2012, 02:34:43 pm »

In the event the fortress bites the dust yet again, would it be wise to use DFlair to keep everything inside, at the very least?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 15, 2012, 03:57:16 pm »

Well, if the fortress dies again, the reclaim is going to be so cluttered with scattered junk and clothing that it won't even be funny (not to mention the LAG). So I say yes.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 15, 2012, 06:30:28 pm »

Ok why not, sign me up for a turn :)

(Also I have a computer on which I free ranged over 800 animals in a fort.  I may be lag resistant.)

Also dwarf me as Neotemplar.  Mechanic.

(If I'm AWOL when my turn comes up, PM me.  It'll shoot me an email, and that will got to my cell phone and I shall 100% be happy to see it.  Thus it is impossible for me to totally go on the fritz.)
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 15, 2012, 11:28:46 pm »

(Also I have a computer on which I free ranged over 800 animals in a fort.  I may be lag resistant.)

(If I'm AWOL when my turn comes up, PM me.  It'll shoot me an email, and that will got to my cell phone and I shall 100% be happy to see it.  Thus it is impossible for me to totally go on the fritz.)

I wouldn't say that if I were you...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 15, 2012, 11:50:01 pm »

Oh dear.  I don't think you understand how the curse works.  It won't affect your internet, it will affect you with sudden bouts of real-life distractions.  Poor Squirrelloid still hasn't returned...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:52:18 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 16, 2012, 12:57:44 am »

Real life distractions yes but at the least I'll try to come in and say aw shit I can't do it, instead of leaving everyone hanging.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 18, 2012, 10:10:50 pm »

This is a bump. It menaces with spikes of fail. All crafdwarfship is of the highest quality.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 19, 2012, 01:49:47 am »

Er.  Right.

This is not the curse taking me.  I had a thousand and one real life distractions long BEFORE the turn passed to me.  I've just been a ruined wreck of a human being the past several days - should be over soon.

Toward that whole "over soon" end, I'll NOT be staying up til 6am playing a turn tonight, the better to actually have the energy to undertake it tomorrow.

Sorry for the waiting.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 19, 2012, 10:21:29 am »

Ah, good. I was getting worried you were about to post a giant update and I'd have to start playing right away. :P
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 19, 2012, 12:36:16 pm »

Sometime ago I suggested that I might end up recording the prologue on the OP. Well, here it is. Enjoy the ham.

FYI: volume and audio quality are crap because my microphone is crap. I was actually shouting this.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Nanimonai

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 19, 2012, 02:26:43 pm »

Hello there,

another lurker has heard the sirens' call of this succession fort and got convinced to finally create an account here to post that i really like what i see ... and so far what i've seen is the whole thread that is Battlefailed. At the moment i'm a fifth into reading about Battlefailed and also trying a save i found here in this very thread.

Also i'd like to ask if there is any dorf without a proper name, so that he/she shall be named. If so, i'd like to see the name Nani on whatever dwarf is free, preferably with experience in wrestling and dodge. Or if that's not available, put that name to whatever dwarf comes along.
My final request would be a place in the player list for this fort. Would be my first succession fort, but that will just add to the !!¤Fun¤!!.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 19, 2012, 04:10:20 pm »

another lurker has heard the sirens' call of this succession fort

The siren's call of Battlefailed you say?

At the moment i'm a fifth into reading about Battlefailed

Don't worry, you should be able to get through the entire saga in a week or so. Provided you don't actually have a job and/or social life. Otherwise, see you in 2013.

Also i'd like to ask if there is any dorf without a proper name, so that he/she shall be named. If so, i'd like to see the name Nani on whatever dwarf is free, preferably with experience in wrestling and dodge. Or if that's not available, put that name to whatever dwarf comes along.

We've been down to four living, already-named dwarves (or three and a half, give or take, counting limbs) for the past few turns, the migrants keep getting creamed by the local wilddeath and/or the assorted malodorous residues that coat the landscape.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 136