Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 169727 times)

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Day 26 - Beta V0.6 - Water and Magma Spawning
« Reply #1005 on: January 27, 2014, 01:05:58 pm »

Agreed, but at the same time your chances of getting less than 1 warlock in both your migrant waves should be nonexistent. Even if the migrant wave contains no new warlock migrants, you should have some way of getting a warlock migrant OUT of them. That way all warlock fortresses will have 2-3 warlocks in them.
That cant be done.

I remember that in dwarf mode, you altered the amount of firemages arriving in migrant waves - why isn't it possibly with warlocks?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Day 24 - Beta V0.6 - Gui and merging versions
« Reply #1006 on: January 27, 2014, 08:29:20 pm »

Dev Log - Day 25

Testing, Testing, Testing. Mostly trying to replicate these crashes some people have been reporting, but not much luck so far. I am mostly taking notes for balancing.

The last things I want to add are quite easy to mod (weather, special gear), so I am mostly trying to get a good balancing for the raiding and prisoner system, but I noticed that it does not always trigger right. -.-

And now that problem with the corruption of invaders. Mh... I think I know a way around it: Give them a self-kill interaction that also spawns a new ghoul. Instead of transforming them, I just get rid of the old unit and make a completly new one. AAaahhh, have to rewrite the entire thing.

Tomorrow I will try to release a new test version. :) I think I found the reason for some freezes, the new digging invaders AI is messing them up. ^^
how hard is it to convert an invader? like if you can Gm editor an invader manually you could automate the event. Wonder if people want more migrants could just use the 'force migrant' wave the command.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: January 27, 2014, 08:41:03 pm »

Dev Log - Day 25

Testing, Testing, Testing. Mostly trying to replicate these crashes some people have been reporting, but not much luck so far. I am mostly taking notes for balancing.

The last things I want to add are quite easy to mod (weather, special gear), so I am mostly trying to get a good balancing for the raiding and prisoner system, but I noticed that it does not always trigger right. -.-

And now that problem with the corruption of invaders. Mh... I think I know a way around it: Give them a self-kill interaction that also spawns a new ghoul. Instead of transforming them, I just get rid of the old unit and make a completley new one. AAaahhh, have to rewrite the entire thing.

Tomorrow I will try to release a new test version. :) I think I found the reason for some freezes, the new digging invaders AI is messing them up. ^^
how hard is it to convert an invader? like if you can Gm editor an invader manually you could automate the event. Wonder if people want more migrants could just use the 'force migrant' wave the command.
You can't force migrants if your civ is dead and since warlocks can't have children in world gen, the civ dies out after a generation. This is intended.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: January 27, 2014, 09:11:06 pm »

Dev Log - Day 25

And now that problem with the corruption of invaders. Mh... I think I know a way around it: Give them a self-kill interaction that also spawns a new ghoul. Instead of transforming them, I just get rid of the old unit and make a completley new one. AAaahhh, have to rewrite the entire thing.

You can't force migrants if your civ is dead and since warlocks can't have children in world gen, the civ dies out after a generation. This is intended.

Actually the civs don't typically die out (at least not for me,) but no trade with home means no migrants. Of course maybe a soul powered version of the dwarven town portal to the central tower/dungeon/whatever could be used to bring over a "Novice Warlock" who lacks the ability to learn spells or help wrangle skeletons until trained and empowered to do so, perhaps at the villainous academy with a mix of souls both to get the novice and empower him/her and books on fighting with magic, using wraithblades and staves, and controlling undead minions. This would make getting new warlocks a resource intensive affair so while you could get many, you'd need to use a lot of souls (say 20 souls to power  the gate and pay for the novice to be permitted to join a new dungeon, plus however many are needed to empower him with full magic power) that could potentially be better spent elsewhere.

Nuhaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: January 27, 2014, 09:22:18 pm »

Agreed, but at the same time your chances of getting less than 1 warlock in both your migrant waves should be nonexistent. Even if the migrant wave contains no new warlock migrants, you should have some way of getting a warlock migrant OUT of them. That way all warlock fortresses will have 2-3 warlocks in them.
That cant be done.

A reaction that kills all the Civ members on the map, except for the worker running the reaction. Then it spawns at random 3-5 Warlocks, or a fixed number? This would allow a civilization to reset their warlock numbers. It could also give the unit the ability to cast a spell that made the same function, killing everything except the unit, making the unit begin to bleed profusely and then create the warlocks. It would come at a heavy resource and unit cost, in addition to creating the hassle of having to memorialize everything that died, and the risk of having no military. It could also be an option to keep all of the Grand Covocation upgrades without losing all of your warlocks.

Additionally, the summoned warlocks might have to come with the same Discipline skill that the Skeletons have to make them historic entities.

This reaction could take place in the Grand Covocation and cost 50 souls, to somewhat prevent the abuse of building one before the migrant waves.

This would allow the replenishment of warlocks, at a great cost.
Before this mod, I never pitied the bad guys in any of the fantasy novels I'd read. The undead lich king always seemed like such an uber-menace, but now I know his secret pain of having morons for minions, a vampire doctor just waiting for him to go to sleep, and a constant feeling of anger and depression because he's one armor stand short in his bedroom suite.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1010 on: January 28, 2014, 01:49:12 am »

Dev Log - Day 27

Long day of more testing. I also would like to propose a tutorial fort... maybe the last 2 days I can do one large fort, and make a lot of screenshots that explains the features. Mostly because playing the Warlocks is so vastly different from the other races.

For today we have:
 - pylon balance: controling skeletons is now by line of sight, but range is increased from 15 to 25. This means wider range, but no longer through rock/walls. Should lead to more complex setups. Pylons still power through walls. :)

- gem shredder is better: Can now accept cut gems as well.

- tree shredder is better: Can now accept farmed saplings as well and gives back seeds. Can also shredd feather or glumprong now.

- ore shredder is better: Can now accept metal bars as well. (figured quite a lot of metal will come from molten down gear)

- wraithblade/warlock staff are redone. They are no longer ranged weapons, but instead add interactions using itemsyndrome. The staff adds slade boulder shooting with range of 15, the blade adds a slow effect that can be cast when the enemy is within 7 tiles. Both reasonably good for "hunting". The weapons can be made from metal at the forge, sharp rocks at the crafter, or bone in the boneforge.

- slade shooting gone from Warlocks. They no longer can do this by default, but instead need to hold a staff.

- attorney now sells glumprong logs and evil plant seeds. I thought that its quite hard to get those when you dont embark on an evil biomes. So here you go, 2 souls for either 3 logs or 25 seeds.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #1011 on: January 28, 2014, 02:36:54 am »

Dev Log - Day 27

Long day of more testing. I also would like to propose a tutorial fort... maybe the last 2 days I can do one large fort, and make a lot of screenshots that explains the features. Mostly because playing the Warlocks is so vastly different from the other races.
Sounds great!
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: January 28, 2014, 03:49:34 am »

For me the uniqueness of your units is what does it for me. In every other variation your main civ members end up being nothing more than slightly expensive cannon fodder. I like how Warlock changes that. It really hurt when I lost 2 warlocks to an elven ambush. I'm sure it hurt the elves too when I shredded them with ghouls again and again in retaliation. But those warlocks are gone and i've had to adjust dramatically to account for it. Fun of a different variety.

Makes for better stories/more unique play style imo.
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

Mardius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 28, 2014, 11:38:33 am »

Is it just me or are the ghouls more "Squishy" in the v6 update? Lost two flail wielding ghouls to coyotes not long ago. The coyotes just ripped them apart  :o

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1014 on: January 28, 2014, 01:31:29 pm »

I didnt change ghouls at all.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 28, 2014, 03:41:57 pm »

some minor Issues:
- some names are too long. Maybe shorten/change them, so we can easily see what a reaction is doing?

eg.:
"Summon black etheral bed"
to:
"Summon black bed (etheral)"

- the Crematorium is in the building list twice
- sometimes creatures have the wrong color in the unit screen. This is insanely confusing
- Skeletons seem to drop a corpse with all their items upon embark
- "Minion Command" is worth a fortune

also: will there be another beta before all is over?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1016 on: January 28, 2014, 03:48:19 pm »

- Fixed the double crematory
 - Wrong color in unit screen: ?
 - Skeletons drop not a corpse, but only their gear, because the first tick they are opposed to life
 - Minion command was lacking value/size, is fixed
 - Long names: The mod is designed for Windows, not linux. Its not an issue on windows, since it uses ttf.

also: will there be another beta before all is over?
 - I can upload one today if you want, but in 3 days I release it anyway.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: January 28, 2014, 04:03:22 pm »

Is it just me or are the ghouls more "Squishy" in the v6 update? Lost two flail wielding ghouls to coyotes not long ago. The coyotes just ripped them apart  :o

Armed ghouls won't bite or claw nearly as much and those tend to do a lot of damage for ghouls. Numbers help of course.

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 28, 2014, 04:03:47 pm »

in the unit screen Warlocks are blue, skeletons are white and ghouls brownish. Or is that not the intention?
I guess it has something to do with skill levels in professions.

I would love a last beta. More bug hunting!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:35:06 pm by somebears »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 28, 2014, 06:12:54 pm »

in the unit screen Warlocks are blue, skeletons are white and ghouls brownish. Or is that not the intention?
I guess it has something to do with skill levels in professions.

I would love a last beta. More bug hunting!

Colors are based on professions; warlocks are blue because necromancy (prayer) is a crafting skill, skeletons are white because they rarely have any skill in anything which makes them peasants, and ghouls are brown because of their natural butchering skill which makes them farmworkers.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 110