Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 141

Author Topic: Drunk Thread -(Awesome Thread)-  (Read 172226 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk Thread -(Awesome Thread)-
« Reply #825 on: April 28, 2018, 03:21:30 pm »

Nothing yet.  Tomorrow bodes ill.  Especially since tonight went well.

I tried to explain the Traxus concept (re: Bungie) like four times, but he was sleepy as I was drunk.  It's not that complicated, really.
An algorithm in charge of a moon of Mars achieves self awareness and starts executing "rampancy", a series of steps along the lines of the stages of grief.
It gets murdered in an impressive outpouring of fear, but not quite. 

Future AIs inhabiting the moon surreptitiously learn from its example.

Crap. I miss Marathon now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #826 on: May 02, 2018, 05:00:02 pm »

I currently imbibe Jinzu, neat, in these rather lovely glass skulls found in a charity shop long ago.
Jinzu is one of those Tikka Massala Curries or Sweet and Spicy Pork Rice abominations that gets re-exported so many times from one end of the Earth to the other as authentic Scottish food in India or Japan or authentic Indian or Japanese food in Scotland that everyone forgets who the hell came up with it in the first place, and no one wants to own up to it lest they lose the appeal of exoticness in their marketing strategies.

But if comments of marketing and such are put aside, it is a very neat little drink. Made by Scottish master craftsmen, it is British gin pretending to be Japanese sake pretending to be hybrid gin. Inspired by their travels (and drinking) in Japanese bars beneath blossoming cherry trees, these intrepid Scots decided that it was a crime to have to choose between sake or gin, and decided to make a drink that was simultaneously neither, but both. Having received this as a gift, I paid no money for it, and was ready to savage it were it not up to my standards.

...Yet 2/5ths of the bottle was gone in the first week, which should tell you well enough that I found it most pleasing on a Summer's day, a Winter's day, but not Autumn or Spring - those seasons warranted tea, of course. It mixes well with tonic, with additional herbs, in cocktails and right now I write a thesis on maritime realism in Moby Dick, inspiring myself with this jinzu by the shot. I must say I have somewhat blasphemed for not drinking whisky as Herman Melville would have done, having read some of his journals. But I must also conclude, had Herman Melville been born in the age of good gin, he might have given it a try.

Speaking of, I have also done much research into the rather surprising world of mixers. I can't believe it, but an upstart brand actually managed to defeat Coca Cola, by taking the dominant market share of mixers in the UK - it is of course, Fevertree, whose marketing always ends with "sophisticated" this and "sophisticated" that. I don't know what they're going on about with that, but they do taste good. That they managed to merc Coca Cola and brag about it without being obliterated is something definitely worth looking into, as when changing patterns of drink occur, it usually signals great geopolitical change.

Also I can't help but feel I am sorely missing on a distilled or fermented brew which has a sharp taste, like a well-filtered vodka with radishes, but in its own concoction. Whiskey is usually a good bet for such strong flavours, but all of my favoured brews are not on sales, and I am certainly not going to waste more money than I need to on old flavoured toxin water. Either that, or I'm just getting used to it, like being raised on spice - I noticed for example, having gone without drinking for two months (before this day at least), my Welsh whiskey's tannins were more memorable. Vodkas might be a good bet to look into, any recommendations? Bison grass vodka is a top tier recommendation imo, but you must leave it sparingly, and only for Zubrowka nights with yer m8s, lest you grow sick of its distinctive flavour.

*EDIT
Have moved to a 13 year auchentoshan, matured fittingly in a former American bourbon soaked-oak cask. Former bourbon soaked-oak cask of course, there is no such thing as a former American, just as Melville, sea whales and God intended it.
*EDIT
1 in the morning noodles with Turkish microtonal guitar. DELIGHTFULLY DEVILISH
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 06:45:49 pm by Loud Whispers »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: May 03, 2018, 04:46:56 am »

*Hans quietly slides his cheap Coronas and Rich and Rare whiskey out of sight*

I too can discern quality alcohol!

:P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: May 03, 2018, 05:06:19 am »

Oh hey, that wouldn't happen to be some Turkish microtonal guitar with the dude who designed that sliding-fret guitar, would it?

Also, I have honestly never been one for brown liquor, unless the golden-brown hues of walnut vodka count.  I do, however, have friends who enjoy a good whiskey. So I tend to like picking things up for them to try, like the Jim Beam honey whiskey when I first found out that that was a thing.

However, since I bring tasting bottles over to said friends so that they can enjoy it, people have now begun to assume that I actually like whiskey, which I... Well, I don't.

Last Christmas saw me getting whiskey and whiskey accessories as presents. Whoops.

As an aside, I recently discovered that our local gov't booze outlet is selling these little miniature bags of wine... it's like a Capri Sun, except it's chardonnay. Perfect for hiking and picnics!

...except not, because it's illegal to drink in public areas. Imaginary hikes then, like I usually opt for.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: May 03, 2018, 06:43:15 am »

While it's technically illegal to drink in public in most places, usually the cops don't hassle you if you're obviously eating and having a wine or two with lunch. The laws are more for them to kick drunk winos out of public parks. This is based purely on a conversation I had with a cop when I was out on a picnic with my family, so YMMV.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: May 03, 2018, 06:50:16 am »

I doubt a cop is gonna burst out of the bushes and slap some handcuffs a fine on ya the second you unscrew your flask and take a swig whilst strolling along some isolated hiking trail...   

Although from what I've been told they are pretty eager to dish out those ridiculously harsh public drinking fines at the slightest opportunity. :-\
You can always take your drink in a disposable cup and dispose of it at the first sight of police, though. Just say you were drinking in some residence or licensed establishment, and are currently making your way home to sleep off your intoxication like any good, law-abiding citizen.

...Gosh, I could use a drink.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: May 03, 2018, 06:57:28 am »

Or buy one of those god-awful nonalcoholic bottles of wine from your local supermarket, decant a decent vintage into bottle after emptying said swill via method of your choice, bring to picnic and voila!

Mind you, I've just finished cooking a pot of red wine pasta sauce using a recipe that calls for a third of a bottle of cheap red wine. Three guesses where the other two thirds went. Perhaps my judgement isn't the greatest.

Anyone played Kingdom Come:Deliverance? I loved their drunkenness mechanics in that game. Swaying camera, blurred vision, but most of all the little burps, hiccups and other bodily function noises that the character makes really amuse me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #832 on: May 03, 2018, 07:05:11 am »

Oh hey, that wouldn't happen to be some Turkish microtonal guitar with the dude who designed that sliding-fret guitar, would it?
Tolgahan Çoğulu? Either that or Gizzy bois

*Hans quietly slides his cheap Coronas and Rich and Rare whiskey out of sight*

I too can discern quality alcohol!

:P
All alcohol is cheap until you triple the prices :P

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: May 03, 2018, 07:27:59 am »

Tolgahan Çoğulu?

That's the feller. Bit of a contraption, that thing... And yeah, I love Kara Toprak, the tune he tends to show off with on that guitar.

As for the wine thingy, cops here are generally fairly amicable, but they're very strict (and not very patient) with anything booze-related. It's kind of an issue in Norway.

Mm, Corona... One of those beers that's quite nice on a hot day in the sun and with some lime juice/a lime wedge. Utterly unacceptable any other time... It's like drinking corn juice.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: May 03, 2018, 08:17:03 am »

If you chase tequila with corona, it tastes exactly like a cigarette butt.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: May 03, 2018, 09:03:04 am »

As an aside, I recently discovered that our local gov't booze outlet is selling these little miniature bags of wine... it's like a Capri Sun, except it's chardonnay. Perfect for hiking and picnics!

...except not, because it's illegal to drink in public areas. Imaginary hikes then, like I usually opt for.
The nearby Trader Joe's has those, like little paper juice boxes.  Mostly sweet fizzy whites, but there are mini Bota Boxes of real wine.  Relatively quality, heh.
I don't like drinking in public though.  Walking tends to kill my buzz, and I don't feel like drinking afterward.  I walk pretty hard.

I did have a "quality" beer last night though!  A ginger cider at a bar, $5.  It's fine, someone else was paying :P  The thing was so sweet I had to sip it, but the ginger was nice.

We were really there for some Shakespearean performance art.  It started with drunk Falstaff bragging to his friends about a fight, had a core of "Pyramus and Thisbe in space and she's an android", and ended with them daring each other to name the Scottish play.
I had a really good time (:

No buzz, though - Jeez, bars are expensive, not to mention public.  I honestly can't understand getting drunk in one after one (except for one's first time).  I think quickly downing the last third of my pint as we left gave me more sugar rush than buzz, heh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: May 03, 2018, 09:36:51 am »

Pfft, $5? A pint of the local on-tap swill here will set you back $10, unless you're at a pricier establishment. Head into the yuppie area of the capital and you're looking at $15 for a 0.4l...

Or you can try to economize your drunkenness by going to one of the government monopolies (provided you do your shopping before they close at 6PM, 3PM on Saturdays) and picking up a 0.7 bottle of vodka for the low, low price of $40.

And yet, somehow, we manage to buy enough of this to maintain our frightening incidence rate of drinking problems. It is a mystery...

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: May 06, 2018, 01:36:39 pm »

Attended my sister's nursing school graduation, then we all went her house and got fitshaced. Drank champagne, beer, and jello shots out of 'syringes' and urine sample cups. Twas an excellent time.
He's fucking with us.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: May 07, 2018, 03:21:01 am »

And yet, somehow, we manage to buy enough of this to maintain our frightening incidence rate of drinking problems. It is a mystery...
Distilling your own booze is currently illegal in Australia too.

Of course, 100% alcohol is free of tax when purchased through pharmaceutical wholesalers...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: May 07, 2018, 06:40:23 am »

Of course, 100% alcohol is free of tax when purchased through pharmaceutical wholesalers...

Yeah, no, don't do this. Denatured alcohol can have small amounts of nasty chemicals like methanol and pyridine, and anhydrous ethanol can have benzene left in it. They really mean it when they say "not for consumption".

Doesn't stop some people though... My dad told me once about the hardcore bums drinking hand sanitizer to get some kind of buzz. You've gotta be really far gone to do that...

The moonshining culture us definitely alive and well in Norway, but oddly only really centered around northern/middle Norway, where booze is cheaper anyways. Heh, maybe because they're trying to compete with the homemade stuff.

Mostly though, people just crack and buy the monopolized alcohol at its ridiculous rates, and then get even drunker to "make the most of it". Casual drinking is nearly unheard of here, people will go bone-dry through most of the week and then slam headfirst into a massive binge on the weekend. It's, ah... Not healthy.

Having a beer or a glass of wine with dinner on a weekday is generally only the domain of the very wealthy or fledgling alcoholics, although this mentality has been changing a bit in the past years.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 141