Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 141

Author Topic: Drunk Thread -(Awesome Thread)-  (Read 171744 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk Thread -(Awesome Thread)-
« Reply #1290 on: October 27, 2018, 02:28:43 am »

Also, given that full body scanners give a complete nude picture, one can only assume the second also applies for a small demographic of security agents.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: October 27, 2018, 06:27:11 am »

Casual drinking has a lot of stigma in Norway as well. Like, it's perfectly fine to go out and fucking binge for a couple days every weekend, but take a glass of wine with a pasta dinner and people will wonder if you have a problem.

A little miniflute of aquavit is allowed on special occasions, such as Christmas and lutefisk. But if you get drunk on aquavit, not only will people think you're crazy, they'll have pretty damn good reason to think so as well... The stuff is not made for drinking large quantities of it.

Speaking of drinking, I'm signed up for a halloween party later on tonight. It's gonna be a bunch of strangers in a small space, and a lot of sweating and drinking and probably terrible music... The hostess is Finnish, after all.

Only after spending more money than necessary on a slightly imagination-required costume did I notice that the party's agenda is "The idea is to have a pre-party at my place and then head to town to [local popular drinking establishment/club]!"... So, basically, exactly the kind of thing I don't want. As if being lumped into a pack of unknowns wasn't already my idea of a not-good time.

With any luck, I'll be able to pound them back enough to whip out my drunken carpet and float upwards to some good times... And not hit critical puke mass before I get sloshed enough to enjoy myself.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: October 27, 2018, 06:30:28 am »

@Naxa: That sounds like paradise. The weird, repressed drinking culture means you don't have too many people having fun and sparking government crackdowns and huge-ass taxes on fun-related items. :D

Budweiser is delicious. It lives up to its title, honestly. Perhaps not quite as tasty as PBR, though...

@Kagus: hell yeah, that sounds like an excellent time! Don't be silly, you're gonna have a ball once you get over that initial awkwardness of meeting a whole shitload of new folks. Honestly this sounds like the sort of thing I would drag you along to for your own good if you ever had the misfortune of visiting Australia.   
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 06:33:20 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: October 27, 2018, 06:31:54 am »

my mum has a bottle of radler and i've never tried it but it is apparently a fruity bitch drink, which is my flavour of choice, so i may text my mother later to ask if i can crack 'er open and enjoy it
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: October 27, 2018, 06:36:42 am »

so i may text my mother later to ask if i can crack 'er open and enjoy it
Fuckin' phrasing.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: October 27, 2018, 06:39:04 am »

i humbly request you do not insert Oedipus complexes into my posts about radler
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: October 27, 2018, 06:40:51 am »

yeah that's distinctly not paradise, it's very bad
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: October 27, 2018, 06:54:10 am »

Japan isn't so repressed as booze goes- it's my European peers at the volunteer house that makes me worry, hahaha.
Ohhh, okay. So they're the ones judging you for having a nice relaxing drink of an evening? Weird.

Japan sounds a lot less shit than I would have imagined, though I suppose their drinking tends to be governed by weird and strict social circumstances. I don't know, half the stuff I kinda-know about Japanese culture comes from my friend's weird housemate who studies and teaches the Japanese language and sorta lives in Japan for months at a time - understandable since he actually has a wife and kid over there, whom I think he plans on joining more permanently once he finishes his studies or something.

Surprisingly enough, he's actually not a filthy weaboo as far as I am aware. Just someone with a genuine respect for and interest in Japan. O.o   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: October 27, 2018, 06:55:48 am »

@Kagus: hell yeah, that sounds like an excellent time! Don't be silly, you're gonna have a ball once you get over that initial awkwardness of meeting a whole shitload of new folks. Honestly this sounds like the sort of thing I would drag you along to for your own good if you ever had the misfortune of visiting Australia.   
Yes, I do love having lots of new people to talk to and not being able to talk to any of them because I can't hear anything while my entire concept of reality is drowned out by some hip-hoptronica dance remix feat. feat. feat. of Day-O.

Yes, that's happened a few times. No, it's not as interesting as I make it sound. I'm not good at getting drunk enough to take that particular edge off.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: October 27, 2018, 07:00:45 am »

Oh, I can understand being annoyed by shitty music. I suppose that's fair enough.
A lot of clubs play different music in different rooms/stages, though. Hopefully whichever one your comrades take you to has at least one section with less-shit music. Who knows, if you get along well with them during pre-drinks perhaps you could even have a bit of a say in what sort of venue everyone heads to!

I'm not good at getting drunk enough to take that particular edge off.
I have a friend who was kind of like that for a while. Apparently it just takes practice! Or pingas, I guess. Either works.
In any case, the dude now drunkenly dances as... "well" as the next person.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: October 27, 2018, 07:10:39 am »

The one venue I've been to around here that doesn't have entirely terrible music is the one where several of the partygoers actually work... It's also a very "brown" pub and thus a dreadful place to have a stompin' party.

I've been to the place designated as our destination before. It's... I mean, the architecture is nice.

Everything else is the same kind of alcopop shiny people bar/club as every other place.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: October 27, 2018, 07:23:22 am »

It's also a very "brown" pub
I've no idea what this means. Brown bricks? Brown interiors? Is this a racist thing? Are all their drinks brown?? ???

In any case, I think my other point still stands - if you insinuate yourself and then trash-talk the planned venue, maybe someone will suggest somewhere else! Otherwise, just toughen up and ignore the godawful music, jeez. I imagine you'll be in such pleasant company that you'll hardly notice it.
In my experience, half of the partygoers at any given club spend most of the night out in the "beer garden", or whatever your word for an open-air smoking area is, anyway. Or you could drunkenly harass the DJ to play something decent! That always goes down a treat. :))   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: October 27, 2018, 07:40:05 am »

"Brown" is a bizarre Norwegian term to refer to something, particularly bars/pubs, that have a much more laid-back, niche, or "rustic" appeal. A brown pub will generally play music at a lower volume (and oftentimes will play jazz or classic rock instead of Now That's What I Call Wub top dubstep hits), will serve whiskey and draught beer but refrain from energy drink cocktails, and will usually be filled with aging cougars and career drunkards rather than Party Swedes (which is another peculiar term we use for early-20's Swedish people in suits and designer sunglasses who are väry rädy to gyrate and yell and do bathroom cocaine).

The bar in Cheers is a very "brown" pub, as an example. It's a place to sit and have a quiet drink while mourning the years gone by, rather than a place to stand and shout and grind butts until you end up in a fight with the guy you vomited on.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: October 27, 2018, 08:12:21 am »

*appears in a puff of addiction*
*realizes the cocaine is in Sweden*
*poofs away*
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: October 27, 2018, 03:42:31 pm »

*appears in a puff of addiction*
*realizes the cocaine is in Sweden*
*poofs away*
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 141