Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1567591 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: Thirty plumbers and poems about sewage
« Reply #3825 on: October 31, 2015, 02:29:24 pm »

There a several languages that don't have any Object Orientation support, being more logic based instead.

I suppose you could get away without a boolean type if you just used an integer instead (or a byte, depending on the language's implementation of types. A byte would usually be about equivalent to a bool, because of how it gets stored in memory). Heck, I once used an integer to store several different boolean values at once, purely to keep the size of data files down.
... TECH HERESY.
No, no, cool, but how?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: October 31, 2015, 03:34:11 pm »

A discussion with a friend led me to digging up this old video. His eyes snapping wide open in realization never ceases to amuse me.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: October 31, 2015, 03:49:59 pm »

There a several languages that don't have any Object Orientation support, being more logic based instead.

I suppose you could get away without a boolean type if you just used an integer instead (or a byte, depending on the language's implementation of types. A byte would usually be about equivalent to a bool, because of how it gets stored in memory). Heck, I once used an integer to store several different boolean values at once, purely to keep the size of data files down.
... TECH HERESY.
No, no, cool, but how?
I assume using each bit of the integer as its own boolean. It's a pretty common idiom, actually, when space is at a premium and you just need to have a shitload of flags. Take an embedded systems course somewhere if you ever have the chance, it's quite fun.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: October 31, 2015, 03:53:17 pm »

... TECH HERESY.
No, no, cool, but how?
I assume using each bit of the integer as its own boolean. It's a pretty common idiom, actually, when space is at a premium and you just need to have a shitload of flags. Take an embedded systems course somewhere if you ever have the chance, it's quite fun.
I will certainly think about that next course selection.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: October 31, 2015, 05:32:14 pm »

Indeed, C doesn't have any bools or bitfield structs by default, so your equivalents are usually chars/ints (depending on how much space you have to spare) and then any of the int types for use as a bitfield.

And I'll second that fun with an embedded systems course, I'm taking one right now (though the lowest level sort of electrical engineering stuff with circuits can get a little painful at times :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: October 31, 2015, 05:42:16 pm »

C++: set up an enum, e.g:

enum
{
   flag1 = 1,
   flag2 = 2,
   flag3 = 4
   flag8 = 128
};

Then you check e.g. "if (flags & flag1)" checks flag1 of the "flags". To set a bit, used "flags &= flags1"

So with this you can easily store 8 bools in 1 byte, or 32 bools in 4 bytes. It could potentially be slower, since you have to use the bit operators to get the value, but it could be much faster in some circumstances. Less memory needed means less memory reads, and the bit operations could allow you to do complete sets of "if" statements (relying on multiple bits) in one CPU clock cycle. eg. if you have to check whether any of a set of conditions are true, then packing all the flags into one byte means the check can be one cpu instruction rather than a loop or 8 if statements.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 05:46:04 pm by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3831 on: October 31, 2015, 06:48:01 pm »

Spoiler: Polandball (click to show/hide)

E: For a moment I thought I posted this in the programming thread, what with all programming stuff.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 06:49:45 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: October 31, 2015, 07:00:14 pm »

Spoiler: Polandball (click to show/hide)

E: For a moment I thought I posted this in the programming thread, what with all programming stuff.
Heh.  We'll take back our Internet yet...
Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: October 31, 2015, 08:07:12 pm »

All I can say is: Eh, we've been through worse.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: November 01, 2015, 03:07:29 pm »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: November 01, 2015, 03:14:56 pm »

Can someone please explain WTF exactly is Touhou? I watched those two videos and don't have the foggiest idea what I'm looking at. Is it some kind of parody that I wouldn't get without being familiar with the original?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: November 01, 2015, 03:17:45 pm »

Touhou is an anime bullet hell game. It has a massive fandom that makes fanworks in pretty much every conceivable medium because ???
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: November 01, 2015, 03:21:20 pm »

Its a bullethell series full of girls wearing hats, made by a japanese guy who is much better at music than art. But since it has the massive fandom Grak mentioned, you get both in ridiculous amounts.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 03:22:57 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 879