Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1567660 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 10101 bits and counting
« Reply #10590 on: March 26, 2020, 02:06:01 pm »

Whats the terrifying thing, is it the picture being so big or is it that stuff costing 15 monies?

Yeah, how do we scale images in links. I know there is supposed to be a way, but I'm not aware of one.

[img height=...]...[/img]
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10591 on: March 26, 2020, 02:13:53 pm »

"width" is also an acceptable variable, and width=800 is my go-to scaling quickfix.

As for Imagine, it also includes the line about imaging a world without religion, which a fair few people do get upset about.

For something actually thread-relevant, LGIO uploaded a new video. I haven't even watched it yet and I'm already gonna link it here, because fuck if this dude isn't entertaining... And cannons are involved.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10592 on: March 26, 2020, 03:39:18 pm »

This was amazing, hyper tubes are dangerous, do not aim towards ground or air
Social Isolation with Grey
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:53:28 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: March 26, 2020, 08:36:33 pm »

"width" is also an acceptable variable, and width=800 is my go-to scaling quickfix.
That's what she said.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10594 on: March 26, 2020, 10:10:17 pm »

That's what she said.   

Really? I always got a "that's not going to fit."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:20:21 pm by Iduno »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:17:22 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10596 on: March 28, 2020, 02:56:45 pm »

Someone posted a thread on a nerd/geek board I occasionally peek at, with a thread title of "Philosophy is awesome" and a babbling gush of an OP who has apparently just discovered uni philosophy at 22 and is fucking stoked, philosophy has changed his life. It's like before now he was a slave to thoughts and locked up in a mind prison, until philosophy set him free!

And he's wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences !!

...absolutely no mention of what philosophy he's reading or from which philosophers, just the vague concept of philosophy which... Um... Yes. You understand.

So, naturally, I quoted some words from an important contemporary philosopher at him.

"Well that's just, like... Your opinion, man"

Poor fellow didn't seem to grasp the weight of my comment.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10597 on: March 28, 2020, 03:09:43 pm »

Say what you will, at least it's an ethos.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: March 28, 2020, 03:51:33 pm »

I once had an epiphany during natural science class in high school and euphorically blurted out "I get it! Everything is energy!" in the middle of class.

They didn't let me hear the end of that for the rest of high school ;)
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: March 28, 2020, 03:54:43 pm »

I enjoyed my maths teacher reducing an equation to its simplest form one time.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10601 on: March 29, 2020, 12:54:57 am »

I once had an epiphany during natural science class in high school and euphorically blurted out "I get it! Everything is energy!" in the middle of class.

I mean, you're not wrong
Or in bad... company.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10602 on: March 29, 2020, 06:46:14 am »

I mean, you're not wrong
Or in bad... company.

While I still feel I was and am correct in my epiphany, I was sharing it more for the embarrassing... childish enthusiasm of my outburst and it's "unschooled kid think they understand the world" nature, like Kagus' guy.

Or Will Smith's kid, for that matter. How can our eyes be real.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10603 on: March 29, 2020, 08:00:59 am »

"Philosophy is awesome"
Good god, this thread has just gotten so much worse since then.

We've got the "Yeah bruh, philosophy is baller, I read 1984 and it changed my life!" enabler, the OP is still bouncing off the walls encouraging people to embrace the mind-blowing epiphany that is total acceptance of Philosophy™, and then some guy came in and for one fleeting, beautiful moment, I thought I could restore a little faith in humanity...

"Hmm. Firstly, philosophy isn't a thing."

Yes! We're off to a slightly bizarre, but goodish start!

"While grammatically correct, you cannot like or unlike philosophy. Putting it literally, philosophy - philosophia (Greek) - love of wisdom. You can't like love, you can't like wisdom. I believe that is not the right approach to look at things."

...wat.

"Start asking questions. Start looking for answers. Read a lot, but form your own beliefs. Open your mind, and absorb it like a sponge."

Um. Okay. What does that have to-

"The dogma of wisdom is really treacherous. Wisdom should make us all humble, but for some reason, humanity is at stark deviance with that path. I hope you find your own path somewhere in between. Best wishes."

*Sigh*

Anyways someone of course mentioned Simulacrum Simulacra, so now OP had to respond to that with "aaah the simulation theory but im bit of pragramtic i guess 😅. I mean is it usefull for me to know that we live in a simulation !!"

...useful. Regarding philosophy.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10604 on: March 29, 2020, 08:16:21 am »

for note, the actual "Simulacra and Simulation" theory is just about how symbols, media and culture form a kind of shared social "reality", nothing to do with reality itself being a computer simulation. It means that society itself is a layer of abstraction on top of reality, not reality itself.

It's kinda a Dunning-Kruger moment right there where he conflates "Simulacra and Simulation" with the concept of living in a simulation, and then decides the entire idea "isn't useful". The idea that "through language, media and culture we work together to form our own shared reality" is actually a useful idea as a springboard for re-interpreting the world, and understanding divergent belief systems, but he's thrown it in the bin without looking at it because of his beginner misunderstanding.

So, full steam ahead on the Philosophy Train, where we throw ideas off the side of the train if their meaning isn't immediately clear.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 08:21:38 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 879