Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1847266 times)

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #195 on: July 27, 2014, 11:57:15 am »

I'm just asking when and how?

Bad idea.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 27, 2014, 12:13:30 pm »

Right now, AFAIK, every evil area has foul fog, evil rain, AND undead. When do you plan to give evil areas more variance/personality? For the most part, you've already explained your vision for non-binary good/evil sphere aligned areas, corruption by historical events and malevolent intelligences, and cleansing/purification, so mostly I'm just asking when and how? Like, what sort of stuff would go along with this or happen at the same time, and what needs to be in the game before you can even start working on this?
Generally, questions of when get the answer "No timeline, but it's planned", and questions of how get the answer "We haven't worked out the details yet." As you quoted yourself, the eventual plan is to scrap the Good/Evil regions in favor of sphere-influenced lands, and Toady has mentioned that not all spheres would be suitable to become land-influencing. I'd actually say that many of the moving parts required are already in place. We have randomly-generated creatures, we have interactions, we have sphere links on materials (though technically they wouldn't be placed yet), we have the ability to generate things after history starts running (because, let's face it, it's always !!sad!! when DF generates stuff that can never see the light of day - many of the generated evil weathers, and now spoiler materials, and depending on your settings, unique demons won't be used anywhere). There's still several moving parts that are needed to make those regions interesting, I'd say, as well as lots of detail work, but I'd say Toady might be able to add it in now.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 27, 2014, 12:40:18 pm »

Right now, AFAIK, every evil area has foul fog, evil rain, AND undead. When do you plan to give evil areas more variance/personality? For the most part, you've already explained your vision for non-binary good/evil sphere aligned areas, corruption by historical events and malevolent intelligences, and cleansing/purification, so mostly I'm just asking when and how? Like, what sort of stuff would go along with this or happen at the same time, and what needs to be in the game before you can even start working on this?
Generally, questions of when get the answer "No timeline, but it's planned", and questions of how get the answer "We haven't worked out the details yet." As you quoted yourself, the eventual plan is to scrap the Good/Evil regions in favor of sphere-influenced lands, and Toady has mentioned that not all spheres would be suitable to become land-influencing. I'd actually say that many of the moving parts required are already in place. We have randomly-generated creatures, we have interactions, we have sphere links on materials (though technically they wouldn't be placed yet), we have the ability to generate things after history starts running (because, let's face it, it's always !!sad!! when DF generates stuff that can never see the light of day - many of the generated evil weathers, and now spoiler materials, and depending on your settings, unique demons won't be used anywhere). There's still several moving parts that are needed to make those regions interesting, I'd say, as well as lots of detail work, but I'd say Toady might be able to add it in now.

I would like to add that not every evil region is the same. In 0.40.xx I had a world with an evil region that didn't had evil weather, just undead. In 0.34.XX at least I am pretty sure you could have a region with only evil rain, or only evil fog, or only undead.

edit: typos
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 01:02:44 pm by thvaz »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #198 on: July 27, 2014, 12:43:47 pm »

To expand further, it's on the dev list under Adventurer role: Explorer.

If we'd psychoanalyse( ;) ) the development behaviour of the Toad, you'd see he sorta tries to work off the list. Explorer is the last of the adventurer roles before basic skills, so going by that it could take a while.
On the other hand, he's also gone off the list order. I never thought he'd implement multi-tile trees so soon, for example. And he's already put in the little pokédex you have in the Q-menu, which is under explorer role, so in truth: Who knows?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 27, 2014, 02:04:08 pm »

The nonlethal combat stuff is neat, but I feel like it could use some kind of built-in restraint (such as a way to control your power through [C] combat preferences). It's a little too easy to accidentally wound or kill someone (and by extension invoke a fatal duel) by auto-attacking or slapping a certain body part a few times too many.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:11:52 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 27, 2014, 03:20:32 pm »

Quote from: Devlog
Animal people and giant animals had a frequency rewrite (thanks to ab9rf for looking at that closely).

Yes, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 27, 2014, 06:23:16 pm »

I can do the 2-week generation for a 500-year large region in 40.05 about as fast as I could do a 200-year medium region in the last few patches. Yay!

Maybe I'll try a thousand-year world later.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 28, 2014, 03:27:03 am »

Are post-worldgen roads planned for the current cycle or will we have to wait for the county arc?

I really hope my causeway will see some use (after I retire my fort, of course.).
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #203 on: July 28, 2014, 09:44:20 am »

What does it really mean when they say "It was inevitable"?
You said that the adventure mode AI has some basic emotions and opinions on thing, and while it's understandable that they find a lot of things terrifying(like vampires and criminals), being for the best(like the new overlord they actually don't want to talk about), or being terrific(haven't come across this yet), I can't figure out what they are trying to express with 'it was inevitable'.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 28, 2014, 10:32:12 am »

I've been assuming it means they're indifferent to the whatever.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #205 on: July 28, 2014, 10:40:38 am »

That can't be: They have the option to say "I don't care either way".
So my question still stands.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 28, 2014, 11:28:57 am »

That can't be: They have the option to say "I don't care either way".
So my question still stands.
Seems to me like a version of "It is sad, but not unexpected" without the sadness.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 28, 2014, 11:34:23 am »

Maybe it was something they wanted to do and  would have done if you hadn't.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 28, 2014, 12:14:41 pm »

Maybe it was something they wanted to do and  would have done if you hadn't.
Or since they live in a violent world, the are desensitized to mass murder.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 28, 2014, 12:24:16 pm »

Hello!

It would be helpful to find a similar set of parameters for 0.40.04 (or whatever newest release is available).

I manually (that is within the game rather than editing the init file) entered the data into 40.05, the current release, and it crashed the game just as before. While finalizing the sites, the task simply vanishes, no warning, no comment, nothing.

Here are the parameters just in case I mistyped something and the ones crashing 40.05 are not the ones I posted before:

Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:MEDIUM REGION]
[SEED:123Doom123]
[HISTORY_SEED:123Doom123]
[NAME_SEED:123Doom123]
[CREATURE_SEED:123Doom123]
[DIM:129:129]
[EMBARK_POINTS:10000]
[END_YEAR:330]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:200:-1]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]