Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 852547 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Arthropoid Martial Arts!
« Reply #5220 on: May 18, 2018, 08:55:52 pm »

It's a can not must scenario, so it can probably go as high up the stack as the stack wants, or it can only go as high as the first because he's not eligible for his rider to force it target him depending on how you interpret the wording.
Personally, I would rule that the attack can only be re-directed as far as the weapon's reach. A guy with a sword on the ground isn't going to be able to hit the rider at the top of a centower without some serious acrobatics.

Makes sense for melee attacks, but what about ranged or magic attacks that aren’t multi-target or otherwise AoE?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: May 18, 2018, 09:56:11 pm »

It's a can not must scenario, so it can probably go as high up the stack as the stack wants, or it can only go as high as the first because he's not eligible for his rider to force it target him depending on how you interpret the wording.
Personally, I would rule that the attack can only be re-directed as far as the weapon's reach. A guy with a sword on the ground isn't going to be able to hit the rider at the top of a centower without some serious acrobatics.

Makes sense for melee attacks, but what about ranged or magic attacks that aren’t multi-target or otherwise AoE?
Well, same deal. A rider atop a centower that is, say, 50 feet tall would be safe from a spell with only a 30ft range, as an example.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: May 18, 2018, 11:27:32 pm »

34 pages later, I have at long last finished what is likely the culmination of ~half a year's dreams of a three-musketeers-style tabletop rpg:

The Cavalier Years: An Adaptation of the 7th Sea Firſt Edition rules to the Real World, in the year of our Lord 1628; whereby the Players, through their capacity for Imagination, may take on the roles of Adventurers, or Pyrates, or Mouſquetaires, or really whatever ſuits their Fancy, in Europe, America, Aſia, or Africa. Containing a Summary of Hiſtorical Events in this formative period in our Hiſtory, with Deſcriptions of the various Countries of Europe, and the Peoples therein, with a number of Maps and Charts of the World, and featuring a number of Portraits, Images, and Drawings of the events of the era.

(There any stray mid-word short s'es in there, by the way?)

Now for an important question: how do I run this? I'm thinking that I'll discard my old play-by-post style entirely. It's crude, inefficient, and has always ended in me losing interest and just dropping it before the players have ever leveled up; moreover, within a short time frame I'll have much more control over my schedule than in the past (and I'm not as afraid of committing to a regular thing like this anymore, either.) My first thought was Roll20, but honestly, I'm not a big fan of it; last time I used it, I remember it being kinda laggy and generally not the most fun to play with, though I will admit that I didn't use it for very long. My current thinking of what I'd prefer to use instead is, oddly enough, Discord.

The 7th Sea rulebook recommends using a tabletop, but there's no D&D-esque movement limitations or running/walking/jogging speed rules--it's supposed to be a very cinematic, swashbuckler-y game, and unless there's pressing circumstances like someone attacking you, it's assumed any given player can move as far as they like, wherever they like, however they like, within boundaries of common sense, though flashy moves like chandelier swings might call for dice-rolling. The only caveat is that it costs an extra action to move up a level--think the classic fencing-up-the-staircase sequence.

So what I'm thinking is that during fights, I could sketch up a rough map of the area, post it, make it a pinned message, and just refer back to that to clear up any confusion. Everything else is just talking to one another--it's a far more RP-heavy game than the traditional dice-heavy "roll-playing games" like D&D, though it's not quite a rules-lite freeformer, either.

I'm mainly bringing this up because I want to know if it's actually a terrible idea that I'm oblivious to or if you guys think it'd work out ok. Like I said, the game's not really reliant on grids or movement restrictions, so a hypothetical map could just be a labeled drawing of a room or a set of rooms, thrown together in under a couple of minutes.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: May 19, 2018, 02:38:11 am »

VoIP through Discord is the solution that's worked for me best of all, even text-based Roll20 games suffer from a gimped pace of play quite often. My own solution for the Powered by the Apocalypse games I run is to use a Roll20 window to keep track of rolls and put up backgrounds/relevant maps while keeping the game rolling along with voice. And even my D&D 3.5 DM mostly just uses the Roll20 window for battles where he makes a quick-and-dirty approximation of the relative positions of everything on the field, notes down obstacles and such with a rough sketch of the environs and then away we go, and it's pretty much worked perfectly there.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: May 19, 2018, 01:44:29 pm »

At the end of today's session, we encountered a green dragon. The fight(?) begins in two weeks.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: May 19, 2018, 08:07:37 pm »

"8 points   107,500" views ???
I refreshed and it's gaining about a thousand views per minute, still only three comments and 8 points though.  Weird.
Also a nice idea, thanks for sharing!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: May 19, 2018, 09:31:17 pm »

So, found an interesting map on the DnD subreddit. Someone saw some art made from coffee mug stains, and chose to use the same idea to make a city.

https://imgur.com/KwMng4C

That’s certainly an interesting city layout concept. No idea if it’d work well in reality,  it that won’t stop it from being used in a fantasy setting. Closest analogue could be Venice, or maybe Amsterdam.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: May 20, 2018, 04:30:15 am »

There's something about it that kinda bothers me while looking at it... I think it might have to do with the circles being of uniform size and shape, giving it the unfortunate resemblance of a copy-pasted city.

Certainly a nifty concept though, like a post- or mid-collapse Atlantis.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: May 21, 2018, 05:54:53 am »

Has anyone ported various animals from Dwarf Fortress to 5e?

I decided to make an evil area on my map (Because alignment-oriented areas are a thing in my world), and porting over some evil bits and bobs would be nice.
"The Dungeons & Dragons 5e Monster Manual addendum: Gibbons"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: May 21, 2018, 05:59:31 am »

Giant Kea

A very large parrot like bird, that is unnaturally fixated on shiny and moving objects. Destroys villages and kills the hapless not out of evil predilection, but simply out of playful curiosity.

Relentless, often appearing in flocks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: May 21, 2018, 06:01:17 am »

K.E.A., Kill, Eviscerate, Abscond.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: May 21, 2018, 05:08:24 pm »

Is this a re-animating biome? Then everything that can be is a zombie, or some other kind of undead.
Giant kea zombies. Fear the squawk.
A skinless titan(DF kind, not DnD kind).
A bronze colossus, there just cuz.
Grimelings in evil swamps.
Though not evil in DF, reachers would make some sense.
What intended CR is this area?

Also, I believe a mounted person is, as per the rules, in the same space as the mount.
So a centower would take up only as much spaces as a regular centaur.
Also, does a centaur take up only 5 feet? Seems like more of a pony-man to me, then.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:10:58 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: May 21, 2018, 07:28:38 pm »

Don’t forget the ‘evil weather’. I suppose you could do some kind of cursed weather thing and there’s certainly plenty of mechanisms that can be used to make toxic/cursed fog or mist or whatever.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: May 21, 2018, 07:33:05 pm »

Ceaseless Bloodlust: The Giant Kea's desire to kill overwhelms all other tasks, motivating it to spend as much time attacking as possible. The Giant Kea may use its reaction or bonus action to stand from being prone, take flight, or otherwise struggle against restraint once per turn.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: May 21, 2018, 07:38:40 pm »

Or just apply berserk or blood rage or similar?
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 623