Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845493 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I'm not a huge fan of D&D Basic so far. Maybe the actual gameplay is better but character creation is garbage x_x
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

On the way out, one of my ghouls asked why we did this thing!
Said nosferatu intimidated the impetuous ghoul with a vicious tirade, ironic given her earlier reluctance for this plan.  The poor ghoul dropped the bag of starbursts she was bringing for the kid.  She had brought the Dora DVDs also, earlier.
I was so busy being drunk and conflicted that I didn't realize the significance of this.
In the next session, when our Nosferatu got captured (I'm not storytiming that for now), said ghoul volunteered her relief that our coterie member was "gone".

See, I bestowed this ghoul with the Dominate discipline.  The GM did warn me there might be consequences.  Even when I chastised her, there was a hint of...

"Oh good, I never liked her anyway."
"...That is not your place, ghoul!"
"I'm sorry!  I have no opinion whatsoever about her!" (implied /s)

...This might be a problem.  It's definitely interesting.  She is very intelligent statwise.  She is one of the coffee-house debaters who didn't like my character's poetry, heh.
Intelligence is even the core stat for dominate.  It only makes sense that she would assert herself (though never against me...  I think)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

I'm not a huge fan of D&D Basic so far. Maybe the actual gameplay is better but character creation is garbage x_x
I played one of the D&D basic video games and its much easier playing it than character creation (most of the work is done for you too...). It DOES take some getting used to. I'm nowhere near ready to run a game in real life of this, which is why I'm getting practice in... Sadly, you're gonna be my test subjects :P
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

I got two more spots open for D&D basic. You can get in now before the party leaves the area.

Here's the thread for those interested

If you're interested, PM me before posting. If you wanna watch, feel free to
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Axes or railguns?
« Reply #4249 on: July 21, 2017, 02:06:06 pm »

New discussion point!

Science-fiction, fantasy, modern, or other?  Possibly even some combination thereof?

I really enjoy both sci-fi and fantasy role-play, though I favor sci-fi in particular.  I love creating new and interesting technologies based on current science, they're still fantastical and off in la-la land, but it feels fun to have it be based on 'real' concepts.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:16:35 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: July 21, 2017, 02:08:57 pm »

Heh. I prefer fantasy, I think maybe for almost the opposite reason. It's easier for me to accept a world where "magic dun did it" is an acceptable reason for anything rather then fake techno mumbo jumbo that's just as magical but trying to pretend to be at least somewhat "real"

Also just the theme and feeling in general. Fantasy feels more... How to say. Open. To me. Like you can head off to the horizon and find new stuff in new corners of the world. Sci-fi of course you can head off to new planets and stuff as well... But it just feels a little bit... Empty. In space. I guess. I know that doesn't really make that much sense, but hey, it's just a feeling.

Also a lot of my favorite tropes of things, necromancery, lizard men, Cthulhu type stuff, is at least more common in fantasy (although not unknown in sci-fi)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:11:34 pm by Criptfeind »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: July 21, 2017, 02:11:54 pm »

Magic is technology, technology is magic. I prefer a decent dose of both.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: July 21, 2017, 02:12:58 pm »

Someday, I'll find a game of Shadowrun.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: July 21, 2017, 02:20:17 pm »

I'd run that but I haven't grasped the rules, concepts, and narrative enough.

Well rules less so... But I feel running one requires a very specific mindset.

In dungeons and dragons, for example, you give someone a problem and the players deal with the problem directly. (direct)

In Shadowrun you give the players a problem, and the players do footwork to diminish the problem, then deal with the problem directly. (Direct and indirect)

In Call of Cthulhu you give the players a problem, and the players deal with the problem indirectly. (Indirect)

---

Not that there aren't exceptions but that is the rule of thumb of where the strength of these systems lie and where the pivot point is located.

Though the biggest issue overall are hackers. Who suffer from: They play an entirely different game from everyone else. But I hear that the games have done better with robots and no longer making hacking take place entirely in hypertime.

Goodness I'd love to give it a shot when I think about the implications of all that. The guard patrols, the cameras, even the lights and security...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: July 21, 2017, 02:24:42 pm »

Schizotech is best.
Barbarians with plasma spears - hoplites in power armour. Peasants till the fields with mechanised bulls, and kings wear gleaming crowns of cybernetics.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: July 21, 2017, 02:28:41 pm »

Yeah, the issue with Shadowrun is the deckers, overall. They fuck with the flow of the game a whole lot.

... I still wanna play it.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: July 21, 2017, 02:33:15 pm »

Yeah, the issue with Shadowrun is the deckers, overall. They fuck with the flow of the game a whole lot.

I'd almost want to do it by instead giving the PCs "Decker points" that they can spend on hacking of their choice.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: July 21, 2017, 02:34:03 pm »

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: July 21, 2017, 02:38:12 pm »

lol 8 replies
New discussion point!

Science-fiction, fantasy, modern, or other?  Possibly even some combination thereof?

I really enjoy both sci-fi and fantasy role-play, though I favor sci-fi in particular.  I love creating new and interesting technologies based on current science, they're still fantastical and off in la-la land, but it feels fun to have it be based on 'real' concepts.
Yes!  ...Aw, must we choose?

Thinking about it, my group has played all three types of fantasy.  No "hard sci-fi", AKA what I'd prefer "science fiction" to mean, but we did play futuristic fantasy (Shadowrun).

That was just one relatively short (2-month) campaign though.  We also played a Caribbean pirates session ("Poisoned" alpha, I ran that).

By time, I think we mostly played DND fantasy.  But we've been playing New World of Darkness modern for a looong time now, and I still sorta love it.  Vampires, Demons, (Christmas of 1984 interlude in DND), back to Vampires...

Setting a game in modern times is strange in a lot of ways.  The behavior one expects in magical fantasy RPGs might have a lot more consequences.  And even if the modern setting is magical, normal people tend to be very mortal (Not just WoD, but Cthulhu).  Bullets often graze, but a single moderately-fortunate stab or shot can wreck someone's day.  Not like DND where epic level 7 heroes are mostly immune to commoners. 

My current vampire was almost at peak human resilience even when she was human, and now she's a relatively long-lived vampire with supernatural resilience.  But three nurses (quasi-vampire... things) attacked her one round, cutting around her dodge and armor, and nearly took her out of commission in one round.  They weren't even super lucky!  It's just that in such settings, you're expected to avoid getting stabbed with scalpels.

You're supposed to use non-combat skills to engineer situations where you aren't getting attacked.  Because every time you're attacked, the DM is rolling exploding dice.  Did I mention there are no attack-of-opportunity or zone of control rules?  If you melee, you better have friends to drag you away if you're unlucky.
Fortunately, in such lethal fights, people aren't interested in finishing off the unconscious.  If they can even tell the difference in the heat of battle (3 second rounds).

I meant to talk about futuristic settings but this has rambled too long already.  I like them, and I kinda want to see more.  But really, I like all three.  (tendency towards modern maybe)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: July 21, 2017, 02:43:12 pm »

I'd almost want to do it by instead giving the PCs "Decker points" that they can spend on hacking of their choice.
literally the most boring way to handle hacking: spend points to have it happen

I'd rather just cut sessions up, or something along those lines.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 623