Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849027 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5745 on: September 10, 2018, 04:01:15 pm »

Int to init is really good, but it's not busted good. Blasting better then an envoker from a MILE!! away with literally any spell in the game without the need to prepare it is what's brokenly good.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 04:03:56 pm by Criptfeind »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: September 10, 2018, 04:14:14 pm »

Elemental Adaptation can ignore resistance, but not immunity. It also can't capitalize on vulnerability, and is exclusive to the one damage type selected when taking the feat (unless you take it multiple times, in which case... Well...). Not sure where you're getting the 2d10 force damage from warlock, unless you just mean eldritch blast... But the thing is, the 2d10 extra damage for burning a spell slot is applied automatically, without saving throw or attack roll, to every target within the scope of the spell. Which, all depending, can really add up. Sure, you can spend multiple turns to achieve the same effect for cheaper, but sometimes you really need things to die right now. Really though, it's more just to consider the amount of damage you'd normally be able to put out with a 1st-level slot by casting a 1st-level spell on its own turn, then compare that to simply applying 2d10 damage to another spell you're casting anyways on the same turn.

Also spell slots can be brought back via Arcane Recovery if you wanna use it for that, so it's not strictly 4 times a day, but I get ya.

And if your DM can be argued with, you can also kill the entire world by using a 2nd-level spell slot to modify Cone of Cold so that it's a mile-long cone... Which, by the time it hits the end, would have a width of slightly less than two miles. If you're into that sort of thing.

So, yes, several of the aspects can be either replicated or outdone by something else.  However, it does all of these things within the scope of one class kit, which lends it a fair amount of versatility. Not only can you bypass damage resistances/immunities and exploit vulnerabilities, you can also change saving throws to something else (which can be a very big deal all depending on the situation, while only 'costing' one opportunity per short rest) to suit the target's weakness. And you get double proficiency on four skills, and you gain limited access to every spell list.

It's a lot of flexibility and a ridiculous amount of burst/artillery (even if it is expensive) all tied up with a neat little bow.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: September 10, 2018, 11:57:10 pm »

Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

Since I haven't got access to that, is it the same as in this Unearthed Arcana?
Love, scriver~

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: September 11, 2018, 01:15:14 am »

Your link doesn't work, but I assume you were going for https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf ?

Xanathar version has a different Power Surge (weaker but potentially usable more often) and Deflecting Shroud (longer range, fixed number of targets); the other abilities are unchanged.

The version at http://dnd5e.wikia.com/wiki/Wizard#War_Magic matches Xanathar's.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: September 11, 2018, 02:47:40 am »

Yeah, that was the one. Thanks for the link too!

Seems a bit less useful than the base schools, but it meshes very well thematically with my idea for a dwarf battlemage.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: September 11, 2018, 10:45:17 am »

Ended up looking at warlock a bit more, specifically ways of fiddling with Pact of the Blade to make it fun/interesting.

While it does let you do silly things like make your very own javelin of returning, I kinda feel like thrown weapons probably aren't gonna scale that well, seeing as you need to burn the bonus action to re-form the thing every time, plus range constraints. Even so, RAW, there's at least one Smite spell that should be able to work when hurled at someone, which is pretty funny when combined with the other warlock pact weapon invocation stuff.

Then I thought about how the wording on Polearm Master is a bit funky and should, depending on DM fiat, allow you to pull off a double attack while holding it in one hand (another bonus action usage, but at least it's just for making the attack itself). Combined with smites, the various bonuses from Hexblade, stuff like Lifedrinker invocation and whatever other funsies you can come up with, I just imagine this Darth Maul asshole twirling a double lightsaber around and slapping people into silliness. Take a level of some fighting class to get the duelist fighting style and slap an extra +2 onto damage rolls.

Shit, there's even an invocation that lets you cast Jump at will, no slots or materials spent. Sith bouncy house party.

Sure, your basic blastylock or celestial tiefling firelock might be more damaging/versatile/useful... But that's just media bias.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: September 11, 2018, 10:53:43 am »

Blade pact also makes for good archers if you take the invocation that allows bows and then add on eldritch smite. Plink a flying enemy and knock it prone at the cost of a spell slot and watch it plummet out of the sky.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: September 16, 2018, 12:57:38 am »

Godsdamn I love drunk Devil's Dice.
Rules:  Roll down the line from STR to CHA (1d20 for lulz).  With each roll, choose to keep or take the GM's roll.

STR:18
DEX: 4
CON: 1
INT: 9
WIS: 20
CHA: 13

Nice rolls, but what to save and throw away?  I made my choice with each roll down the line.  What would you do?  Do you know?

Spoiler: Rerolls (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: September 16, 2018, 01:25:45 am »

Uh, reroll anything 10 or lower. On average, rerolling something below 11 will increase your result and rerolling anything above 10 will decrease it.
"Risking it" doesn't really make sense here. I mean, you want big numbers so you should do what makes your numbers be bigger.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: September 16, 2018, 01:37:11 am »

That's just maximizing a sum total of all stats.  It's more complicated than that, especially since it's done one-by-one down the line.

Like if you failed to get any good physical stats, it makes sense to take risks on the mental stats in hopes of getting a decent spellcasting stat.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: September 16, 2018, 03:50:44 am »

I mean, with CON 1, there's nowhere to go but up...

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: September 16, 2018, 03:51:33 am »

I've never tried playing a Con 1 character before, it sounds pretty agonizing really.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: September 16, 2018, 04:48:29 am »

Luckily it would be over rather quickly.  :P
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: September 16, 2018, 06:22:41 am »

Your an earth genasi. Unfortunately, your quirk was being made out of porcelain.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: September 16, 2018, 07:05:04 am »

Your an earth genasi. Unfortunately, your quirk was being made out of porcelain.
Qin Shi Huang would like to have a word with you.
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 623