Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848866 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5970 on: October 28, 2018, 08:37:39 pm »

Yeah, that's 100% Waterdeep Dragon Heist. And I'm pretty confident its not based on any specific module from 2e.

The orc mountain sounds like the Forge of Fury. That's an adaptation of material from 2e, but that's from the Tales of the Yawning Portal, which is almost entirely remade modules from earlier editions.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: October 28, 2018, 08:42:13 pm »

Yeah, the GM kinda reached out to me and admitted something like that.
As players we avoid the modules for obvious reasons.

Sorry for the misconception.  It's better this way, though~

Edit: No spoilers, please, because I do link this thread to my group pretty often.

Honestly I'd rather have input on my character, the ditzy ice-land Folk Hero who's now a bardic cheerleader.

Even what she should mechanically take as a feat.  Still leaning towards Tavern Brawler - even though it's dumb, oOoO, I should probably take 20 CHA instead~
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 08:49:14 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: October 29, 2018, 04:15:14 am »

Even what she should mechanically take as a feat.  Still leaning towards Tavern Brawler - even though it's dumb, oOoO, I should probably take 20 CHA instead~
It's dumb, oOoO, you should probably take 20 CHA instead.

The grappling parts of Tavern Brawler aren't even that good from a grappling perspective, and are completely useless to a non-grappler. The unarmed damage die upgrade is nice if you plan on punching people a lot, which is the real reason grapplers might pick the feat up, but if you're not an extremely punchy character it's not going to do much either.

As for proficiency with improvised weapons, you already have proficiency with improvised objects that resemble weapons you're proficient with. I mean, this is technically a "GM's option", but I'm going to go ahead and assume that your particular GM isn't the kind who would say you can't use a lump of wood or table leg as a club (which you are proficient with) because it's not exactly the kind of lumpy wood that a club is designated as being.

One thing is trying to argue that the cool rock you picked up should be treated as a double-bladed scimitar, it's entirely another to say "this whacking stick is a whacking stick".

Basically the only thing you'd directly get out of that is proficiency with using specifically your lute as a weapon, and as a dabbling musician I can only scream silently at such a decision.

EDIT: If you really want to drive home the "cheerleader" role, you could potentially take something like Martial Adept and pick up a superiority die. There's no stat bonus attached to the feat (and 20 CHA really is quite nice), but you get access to things like Commanding Strike or Maneuvering Strike, which would let you play fangirl to the Dragopal by giving them more things to do with their reaction (there's also Rally, but it's a piddling amount of temporary hitpoints and temp HP doesn't stack with any other source of temp HP, of which there are many). As far as bar room brawl applicability is concerned, most maneuvers require only a "weapon attack", which includes unarmed strikes and throwing rocks/mugs at people.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: October 29, 2018, 04:25:18 am »

It's made of ironwood
Love, scriver~

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: October 29, 2018, 05:36:56 am »

the only thing a druid will do is give you horrible woodland stds
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: October 29, 2018, 05:53:17 am »

the only thing a druid will do is give you horrible woodland stds
Not if they're level 10 or higher!

Remember; never have sex with anyone who isn't 10 yet.

EDIT: It's a shame that Conjure Animals is a concentration spell... Otherwise you could just summon 24 squirrels and then turn them all into elephants via Animal Shapes. As it stands, you'd need a friend.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5977 on: October 29, 2018, 08:00:57 am »

Intentional misquoting ahead...

EDIT: It's a shame that Conjure Animals is a concentration spell... Otherwise you could just summon 24 squirrels

Your level 10 squirrel golem idea needs a bit of work. Assuming they're 1/4 cr, you're still 4 below.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: October 29, 2018, 08:02:14 am »

pro-tip mlg strat provided by me and my Friend

recipe: one wizard, one warlock, an unshakable bond of camaraderie
step one: floating disk
step two: levitate your warlock
step three: warlock gets on the disk
step four: fuckin surf that shit to the MOON, BABES
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: October 29, 2018, 08:43:53 am »

EDIT: It's a shame that Conjure Animals is a concentration spell... Otherwise you could just summon 24 squirrels

Your level 10 squirrel golem idea needs a bit of work. Assuming they're 1/4 cr, you're still 4 below.
At base level, Conjure Animals summons 1/2/4/8 animals depending on CR. Cast using a 5th level slot the number doubles, cast at 7th (which is what I'd been planning around in my head, because I was trying to think of one druid doing all this and for some reason I was treating Animal Shapes as a level 9 spell... It's complicated, I don't pretend to know how my mind works) level it triples, and cast at 9th it quadruples. Using a 7th level slot for 3x the animals, 3 x 8 = 24. Although you're right, if we're going all out, we might as well use a 9th level slot for 32 animals.

And squirrels would probably be closer to a CR of 0, come to think of it... 1/4 CR includes stuff like wolves, giant owls, and... Velociraptors?

Okay, so, summon 32 velociraptors, that you then turn into CR 4 elephants.

...except that Animal Shapes apparently says "Large or smaller beast with a challenge rating no higher than 4", which is dumb because there aren't any CR 4 beasts that are smaller than Huge, unless you can somehow apply special templates to them or something? I don't know.

So that leaves us with 32 velociraptors, which we then turn into giant scorpions.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5980 on: October 29, 2018, 01:06:35 pm »

How the fuck do four 1st levels defeat a pack of Velociraptors?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: October 29, 2018, 01:11:52 pm »

They're size Tiny, so I think DnD velociraptors are actually compsognathuses... At best.

Still though.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: October 29, 2018, 01:27:01 pm »

Velociraptors were that small in real life weren't they? Maybe on the big side of tiny or the small side of small. I think 5e removed the size categories smaller then tiny, so you see a lot of very small things like sprites in the category, but anything smaller then the half sized humanoids like goblins and halflings (which iirc includes velociraptors) is tiny.

Big raptors, like the Deinoynychus (the raptors seen in movies and sometimes mislabeled as a Velociraptor) are medium in D&D.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: October 29, 2018, 01:28:11 pm »

They're size Tiny, so I think DnD velociraptors are actually compsognathuses... At best.

Still though.

I'm looking at the stats right now.  They're no pushovers, tiny or not.  Each of them can have as much HP as a level 1 fighter, and if at least two can gang up one guy that's four +4 attacks with advantage.  Should have no problem blending up the party one at a time.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: October 29, 2018, 01:29:18 pm »

Still though.

Giant death beast they ain't
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 623