Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845604 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6015 on: October 30, 2018, 03:26:30 am »

Yes, but chickens aren't very fast when ridden by a half-orc in plate armour. I'll ask if the DM still has the rules.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6016 on: October 30, 2018, 03:27:32 am »

Curses, what is this confounded appeal of grapplers? I need to play a proper character instead of immediately hop on the hipster options.

You can immobilize two creatures, knock them over so that they get disadvantage to hit in melee and allies get advantage to hit them. If something is both grappled and prone, they can't stand up from prone because being grappled makes their movement 0. You can drag people to cliffs and throw them off.
If everything goes well, sure. But in order to optimize for those situations (getting advantage on strength checks, getting double proficiency bonus, getting enough health and AC to not die when plugging yourself directly into two enemies, etc.) is a tricky bastard that happily will devour several feats and multiple split levels that don't really come online until at least CLevel 10+...

Which is exactly the dilemma I've been wrestling with for the past few days. Trying to find archetypes that don't require too much fiddling/luck/stats or that don't have quite so many dead levels before they start doing what they're supposed to... Without actually having any kind of experience with how a 5e battle or campaign tends to play out, so I really don't recognize how much survivability or offense I need to do things well enough, and I'm instead obsessing over getting the best in everything... Which requires a lot of levels and some funky building, heh.

Nah, think I should focus on a bog standard druid or wizard or something to get started with, at least for my first time. Doing a blasty sorcerer would also be fun, but that might be slightly awkward as I'm fairly sure someone else in the group is either going for that or has just recently been completely gushingly enamored with her character which was a dragon sorc.

Or make a nice healer to fall back on in case nobody nabs a healer.

Fuck.

Just so you know... Theoretically, chicken racing satisfies that requirement.
Cast Reduce on the gnome and try to get him to win the race before the time runs out and he squashes his mount? Sounds like a fun time!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: October 30, 2018, 03:41:31 am »

Seriously-- enlarge the chicken, and pretend it is chocobo racing.  With horrible, deadly, giant sized chickens that try to eat everything.  (Is a chicken a Small creature, or a Tiny creature?  It could be amusing to put a shrunk gnome on an enlarged chicken, and enter them into the race with the velociraptor riding orcs. Chicken is actually pretty fast when it wants to be.)

See, I am thinking---  a 2x size Jersey Giant chicken, with a 1/2 size gnome team-- against fairies on banties, with magical shennanigans from the jockeys allowed.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:00:19 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: October 30, 2018, 04:40:12 am »

Make a fighter/rogue/druid/bard, Kagus. For old times' sake
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6019 on: October 30, 2018, 05:19:54 am »

Make a fighter/rogue/druid/bard, Kagus. For old times' sake
Ah, the MAD old days...

Philosophical question... Would a cannibal be able to cure a human's disease by casting Purify Food and Drink on them?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: October 30, 2018, 05:36:56 am »

I am pretty sure that would require the human to be dead first.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6021 on: October 30, 2018, 06:22:57 am »

Yes! They would almost certainly need to be dead first. Maybe a sarlacc could try to justify using it on a living person... But that'd be between that living hole with teeth and its gm.

However! Raise dead and Resurrection (the T1 and T2 bringing back to life spells respectively) don't cure magical diseases or poisons. (T3, True Resurrection does) Purify food and drink doesn't specifically say it doesn't cure magical poison and disease, so arguably it does cure them. So if you died to mummy rot or whatever and can't be rezzed because they can't cure the damn thing, maybe they can take a nibble, cure the rot, then bring you back.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: October 30, 2018, 06:37:18 am »

Curses, what is this confounded appeal of grapplers? I need to play a proper character instead of immediately hop on the hipster options.

You can immobilize two creatures, knock them over so that they get disadvantage to hit in melee and allies get advantage to hit them. If something is both grappled and prone, they can't stand up from prone because being grappled makes their movement 0. You can drag people to cliffs and throw them off.
If everything goes well, sure. But in order to optimize for those situations (getting advantage on strength checks, getting double proficiency bonus, getting enough health and AC to not die when plugging yourself directly into two enemies, etc.) is a tricky bastard that happily will devour several feats and multiple split levels that don't really come online until at least CLevel 10+...

Which is exactly the dilemma I've been wrestling with for the past few days. Trying to find archetypes that don't require too much fiddling/luck/stats or that don't have quite so many dead levels before they start doing what they're supposed to... Without actually having any kind of experience with how a 5e battle or campaign tends to play out, so I really don't recognize how much survivability or offense I need to do things well enough, and I'm instead obsessing over getting the best in everything... Which requires a lot of levels and some funky building, heh.

Nah, think I should focus on a bog standard druid or wizard or something to get started with, at least for my first time. Doing a blasty sorcerer would also be fun, but that might be slightly awkward as I'm fairly sure someone else in the group is either going for that or has just recently been completely gushingly enamored with her character which was a dragon sorc.

Or make a nice healer to fall back on in case nobody nabs a healer.

Fuck.

If you want to make a grappler you basically just take 5 levels of something that gets extra attack and a few levels of rogue, everything else is optional. Expertise Athletics + decent Str usually trumps most enemies grapple checks, so you grapple them, shove them prone, then shank them with a finesse weapon for sneak attack damage.

Most 5e enemies are terrible grapplers, I'm not sure any have Athletics or Acrobatics proficiency and most have only a small bonus modifier from their attributes. I've been happily grappling things with just 16 strength on a warlock with a single level dipped into monk (for the BA attack) with the UA feat that gives Athletics expertise.

EDIT: Hell, I even spent one fight just hauling a Drow warrior into our campfire because it was easier for me to grapple him and drag him into the flames than it was for me to hit him with my actual attacks.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:40:09 am by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: October 30, 2018, 06:45:06 am »

Do prions count as disease? Hoof and mouth disease?
Love, scriver~

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: October 30, 2018, 06:51:02 am »

Yes! They would almost certainly need to be dead first. Maybe a sarlacc could try to justify using it on a living person... But that'd be between that living hole with teeth and its gm.

However! Raise dead and Resurrection (the T1 and T2 bringing back to life spells respectively) don't cure magical diseases or poisons. (T3, True Resurrection does) Purify food and drink doesn't specifically say it doesn't cure magical poison and disease, so arguably it does cure them. So if you died to mummy rot or whatever and can't be rezzed because they can't cure the damn thing, maybe they can take a nibble, cure the rot, then bring you back.

Then again, a pedantic GM could have Purify Food and Drink also sterilize away all their gut microbiota on the grounds that they're a disease by virtue of getting other people sick.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6025 on: October 30, 2018, 07:31:37 am »

I now want to see a dinosaur summoning druid or a dinosaur focussed campaign.

Awakened Allosaur druid that summons velociraptor packs.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6026 on: October 30, 2018, 07:40:46 am »

It's still a bit of a balancing act, since neither fighter nor rogue gives you anything that can grant you advantage on strength checks (except for a level 13 swashbuckling rogue using Xanathar's guide, but that's a bit "out there"...), which is either necessary or merely extremely useful depending on your particular school of thought.

Then there's the fight between Shield Master and Tavern Brawler... SM can grab-shove an opponent using only one attack action (+bonus action), but then there's not a whole lot you can do with that one person you have grappled unless you also have A: Monk levels (in which case you shouldn't be using a shield), B: Tavern Brawler (for its least synergistic effect) or C: Spellcasting (either to prebuff with a +damage effect such as Hex or Divine Favor, or a Verbal-only/shield-is-a-focus attack spell to be used on the grappled opponent).

TB, meanwhile, allows you to swap the actions around a bit (bonus action for grapple, attack action for shove), but only if you have at least one level of Extra Attack, but it does give some minor damage options to use. It can even technically be used with nothing in your hands for double-grapple utility.

Unfortunately, it requires you to first land a successful attack in order to kick off the grapple. You could work around this by leading with the shove for advantage against a prone opponent (oppronenent?), but if the attack-grapple doesn't land after that then you've basically only succeeded in making them spend a few feet of movement next turn to stand up.

There's also the extremely strange philosophical discussion as to where the line between "improvised weapon" and "weapon" should be drawn, and how generous your DM feels about whatever random junk you happen to have picked up and swung about...

Additionally, the archetype is generally even more reliant on extra attacks than other brawlers, due to trying to get the most out of grappling and shoving... There are fast ways of getting a "poor man's" version, such as with the aforementioned Shield Master or Open Hand Monk, but those come with their own troubles. Otherwise, you're looking at a fairly significant investment in fighter levels, for the additional Action Surge and all its nonsense, or some other class that provides Extra Attack... Which means your character doesn't really blossom until you're several levels in.

Bards actually get a bunch of goodies related to grappling. Valor Bards gain bonus proficiency with medium armor and shields, expertise, spellcasting (including Enhance Ability for STR advantage so long as you can manage to maintain the concentration), as well as getting Extra Attack at level 6, all in the scope of one class. But they deal with d8 hit dice (suboptimal, considering), as well as again having to wait until CLevel 6 to really get moving. Also they don't have heavy armor proficiency, which would help bump ever-important AC up a touch and alleviate some of the MAD-ness.

But, I mean, bards seem to do most things better than other people in 5e anyways...

Do prions count as disease? Hoof and mouth disease?
I'd imagine they should... Inasmuch as they're actually modeled...
Then again, a pedantic GM could have Purify Food and Drink also sterilize away all their gut microbiota on the grounds that they're a disease by virtue of getting other people sick.
...and therein lies the rub. Hence the firm rooting of this question inside the "philosophical" realm, due to the subjective definitions of "food" and "disease". Or even "poison" for that matter... Cast Purify Food and Drink inside a candy shop, and all the chocolate disappears because it's toxic for dogs/gnolls.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #6027 on: October 30, 2018, 07:52:26 am »

I now want to see a dinosaur summoning druid or a dinosaur focussed campaign.

Awakened Allosaur druid that summons velociraptor packs.
Tomb of Annihilation is set on an island with dinosaurs. My ranger in that campaign had a deinonychus companion (drop the multiattack and it's on par with the standard options), and my bard routinely polymorphed his allies into quetzalcoatluses (flying, big enough to be ridden by several allies) and tyrannosauruses (great in combat, and makes fucking amazing scenes like that one time when the enemy was an undead tyrannosaurus).

I'm sure a druid like that would fit right in (and promptly die horribly, because it's ToA).
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6028 on: October 30, 2018, 09:33:26 am »

Right, so, thinking my options for the potential newbie campaign are either straight Fighter focusing on being a nuisance with Polearm Mastery and Sentinel, or a straight Life Cleric for healsies (even though bards can apparently "do it better" with a Life Cleric 1/Lore Bard++ because they can pick up a Paladin's Aura of Vitality at level 6 and then apply Life Cleric's 2+spell level ability to the heals made by the aura... Bards even get Healing Word in their base spell list).

Should probably also have a Rogue archetype ready in the odd event that there aren't any unlocky/trap-disarmy people in the group, but I'm a little torn on how best to build that up...

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6029 on: October 30, 2018, 09:38:16 am »

Right, so, thinking my options for the potential newbie campaign are either straight Fighter focusing on being a nuisance with Polearm Mastery and Sentinel, or a straight Life Cleric for healsies (even though bards can apparently "do it better" with a Life Cleric 1/Lore Bard++ because they can pick up a Paladin's Aura of Vitality at level 6 and then apply Life Cleric's 2+spell level ability to the heals made by the aura... Bards even get Healing Word in their base spell list).

Should probably also have a Rogue archetype ready in the odd event that there aren't any unlocky/trap-disarmy people in the group, but I'm a little torn on how best to build that up...

I played a polearm push-away master. Pretty fun unless your enemy has reach.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 623