Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849014 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6120 on: November 04, 2018, 04:26:42 am »

So I've begun my homebrew city guard game, and here's the results of my group's characters:

Chaotic Evil Juggernaut Barbarian Caligni (dark-folk)
Neutral Evil Rogue Vishkanya (snake-person)
Lawful Neutral Cleric Dhampir (half-undead)
Neutral Good Warpriest Drow (dark-elf)
Chaotic Neutral Thundercaller Bard Gathlain (plant-person)
Chaotic Good Occultist Ratfolk (rat-person)

The rogue has already snuck away from the party during the first session and assassinated their prisoners messily.

I can't wait to see how much worse it can get for them.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: November 04, 2018, 04:29:52 am »

I can't wait to see how much worse it can get for them.
Who needs a BBEG when you've got players willing to do the job themselves? Efficiency.

(something which is only very slightly less common in more experienced groups).

I believe that you mean only slightly more common.
That too, yeah.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: November 04, 2018, 04:38:30 am »

Team Player Character-- Planar Police.

(Team of "Do gooders" cause more damage than they prevent, as they quest all across the material plane. See also, the amount of destruction done in the montage scene from World Police.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 04:48:57 am by wierd »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: November 04, 2018, 04:05:53 pm »

So, uh... If beholders manifest the substance of their dreams in reality, purely by virtue of having dreamt it...

...what happens if you cast the Dream spell and enter a beholder's dream to deliver a message? Does it make a copy of you? If you use the scary version, does it make a scary version of you?

Use beholders as a cloning pod and make an army of yourself to conquer save the world!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: November 04, 2018, 04:42:57 pm »

I was just reading Deal with a Devil and now I want to play a 3.5 game that is a died of old age commoner sueing against being sent to hell on the basis of a leonine contract.

A pit fiend lawyer just cracks me up.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: November 04, 2018, 05:00:33 pm »

I'm assuming you're being literal
Love, scriver~

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: November 04, 2018, 06:06:22 pm »

Yes and no. The mental image of a pit fiend in a snazzy suit roaring objection and rummaging through a file folder to present evidence is hilarious. And also my body is cracking send help.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: November 05, 2018, 03:15:25 am »

Reminds me of that silly creepypasta about the sad cat.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: November 05, 2018, 06:02:12 am »

I actually had an entire encounter planned for my city guard game where the group could summon a devil and bind it in a contract to fight for them in exchange for a pint of blood per combat (1 Con damage per pint).

Sadly they just looted the room and destroyed the circle. Not sure why I expected anything different, to be honest.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: November 05, 2018, 07:58:45 am »

I actually had an entire encounter planned for my city guard game where the group could summon a devil and bind it in a contract to fight for them in exchange for a pint of blood per combat (1 Con damage per pint).

Sadly they just looted the room and destroyed the circle. Not sure why I expected anything different, to be honest.

Wouldnt' have made a difference here, but I prefer to keep consequences unknown.  That way you can pull plot shit out later and claim it was all planned from the start.  My Seventh Sea group have no idea that i'm laying down train tracks like a looney toons episode, with only the vaguest of plans.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: November 06, 2018, 06:35:02 am »

Oh, I've got a PhD in DM bullshittery, but I still like to be prepared in case by some miracle the plot doesn't jump off the rails, catch on fire and plough through an orphanage.

Anyway, we'll see whether the team of six plucky 1st level guards can stand up to a 4th level mite druid summoning swarms down on them while his dragonfly animal companion eats their faces off.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: November 06, 2018, 01:19:03 pm »

six 1st level guards
Okay
swarms
Now what in tarnation

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: November 06, 2018, 01:22:48 pm »

Oh, I've got a PhD in DM bullshittery, but I still like to be prepared in case by some miracle the plot doesn't jump off the rails, catch on fire and plough through an orphanage.

Anyway, we'll see whether the team of six plucky 1st level guards can stand up to a 4th level mite druid summoning swarms down on them while his dragonfly animal companion eats their faces off.
That build sounds pretty buggy.

I think swarms aren't as bad in 5e, right?  They just have weapon resistance instead of nearly-blanket immunity?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: November 06, 2018, 01:29:40 pm »

Resistance to piercing, bludgeoning and slashing damage (magical or non-magical), immunity to the charmed, frightened, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, prone, restrained and stunned conditions, and a significant amount of hitpoints and damage for something that CR.

So not the full horror of the swarm, but still kinda mean.

God, I remember Incursion with its swarms of monkeys... Proximity disgust, general swarm intangibility/beefiness, and they'd steal your items.

EDIT: Dammit, I did not need to go reading longwinded and completely plausible P&P roleplaying stories...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: November 09, 2018, 09:28:37 am »

I have been thinking more on the "Wizard creates awakened creature" problem posted previously, and have questions..

in addition to somehow getting Comprehend Languages cast onto the creature, so that it can read the +2 INT buff book (and thus potentially gain a language comprehension) there is also the potential to abuse a sentient item, if you roll high enough on its communication ability roll. Per the item creation rules for 5e, the potential to create an item that is able to read and comprehend a language, AND communicate telepathically with the wearer exists.

Now the question: Is it possible for the item created to be able to communicate in 2 languages?

If yes, this is the easiest way to accomplish the prior goal I think. (Pick common for the language it can read, and give it sylvan for the language it uses to communicate telepathically.) Make it an INT +2 circlet, and call it something like "Circlet of bestial tutoring" or something.  Bonus is that it could be used by either humanoids that lack sylvan, or by animals that lack common.
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 623