Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845624 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6525 on: February 04, 2019, 09:22:02 am »

He still exists.  Hes moved away from black metal and is now a dumber norwegian TedK.  He also made a terrible RPG which i played this weekend.
Shoes...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: February 04, 2019, 09:24:05 am »

...in a complete coincidence, Facebook just threw out an ad for a Norwegian restaurant called "NIKKERS".
Honestly my first thought was a raunchy restaurant like Hooters ("boobs").  Though I guess "knickers" ("underpants") is a British word...

That "FATAL & Friends" is a nice archive!  It's nice hearing the thoughts hear about systems I haven't played, and I particularly enjoyed reading there about the Dune RPG.  Not because it's particularly good, apparently...  The writer of the review mostly complains about inaccuracy, then goes into "brief" explanations of the actual canon of Dune.  I learned a lot about the setting, with bad RPG mechanics as comic relief.  I might have weird tastes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6527 on: February 04, 2019, 02:28:44 pm »

What the utter fuck.
The downside is the Goddesses Head sense her vision of possible the futures.

...aaanyways.

...in a complete coincidence, Facebook just threw out an ad for a Norwegian restaurant called "NIKKERS".
Honestly my first thought was a raunchy restaurant like Hooters ("boobs").  Though I guess "knickers" ("underpants") is a British word...
"Nikk" is actually a word in Norwegian, meaning "nod". So "nikker" means "nodding", as in "that person is nodding". However, even if you were to assign a plural to that ("nodders"?), -s isn't the suffix used for plurality... Possessive, maybe? Norwegian doesn't use an apostrophe with possessive 's'es, so maybe it was established by someone named "Nikker". Or, maybe this is just... Someone's fun name for a restaurant.

Picking around the homepage a little bit, I can't find any information other than that it's a "relaxed, cozy, modern bar and restaurant" that offers "Norwegian food and culture", and that it's located in the middle of Nobodyville, Lower Bumfuck.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6528 on: February 04, 2019, 05:19:34 pm »

That "FATAL & Friends" is a nice archive!  It's nice hearing the thoughts hear about systems I haven't played, and I particularly enjoyed reading there about the Dune RPG.  Not because it's particularly good, apparently...  The writer of the review mostly complains about inaccuracy, then goes into "brief" explanations of the actual canon of Dune.  I learned a lot about the setting, with bad RPG mechanics as comic relief.  I might have weird tastes.
Yeah, they kind of remind me of the old WTF, D&D!? articles (which isn't too surprising, since they both come from Something Awful), in that they might be somewhat exaggerated and you should probably take them with a grain of salt, but they give a decent enough impression of systems you may not be familiar with.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6529 on: February 04, 2019, 05:44:36 pm »

I... I actually kinda wanna play FATAL now, if such a thing is even possible. If only to attempt to urinate and then fail my skill check.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: February 04, 2019, 05:56:29 pm »

I... I actually kinda wanna play FATAL now, if such a thing is even possible. If only to attempt to urinate and then fail my skill check.

I think everyone gets that impulse, but it's honestly far from worth it. Actually rolling a d 10,000,000 is kind of fun once, but eventually you just get so bogged down in the numbers and tables and general awfulness that you don't even notice what you're rolling for, let alone laugh at it. As shock-value games go, it's among the more playable, but when its main competitors are RaHoWa and HYBRID that's not a high bar.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6531 on: February 04, 2019, 09:10:29 pm »

Yeah, I personally don't see the appeal of playing an objectively terrible game. I'd much rather play a game like deadEarth or World of Synnibarr, where, sure, the rules are terrible, but the core idea sounds fun.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: February 04, 2019, 10:04:03 pm »

Oh, wow, I actually own a copy of the Dragon Ball Z RPG on that site.  It's every bit as terrible as the review makes it out to be, and I remember houseruling almost everything when I played with my brothers.

Amazingly, the reviewer got more out of the rules than I did, because from what I recall, the copy of the book we have doesn't even tell you what the power level stat does.  We ended up making it add to your attacks or something at some fraction, if I remember right.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: February 04, 2019, 10:33:53 pm »

Still need to add roads but that's about it.  There's a grid and key but I took the layers off for this pic. 

• Koth is a decrepit kingdom falling into decay, the distant settlements basically independent.   
  • Acatepec is the default Aztec civilization.  Tlalocan raids the northern jungle tribes for sacrifices to their thirsting gods, but a trade agreement keeps them from raiding Yoz (at least officially, independent bands and heretics still do).
  • Yoz is the cursed delta.  A fragment of a previous natural order was left behind there when the new world was created, festering beneath the ground like a parasite and infecting the land above with alien life.
  • Akan is the obligatory desert, and Punjar is the wickedest city in the world.

The entire area's a little more than a hundred miles across; the mountains are actually a thin chain with only a couple peaks, but it's an impressionistic map, not realistic.  Climate in Koth is hot and dry in the summer and cool and rainy in the winter.  As far as accurate scale goes, fun fact, the landform is part of Ecuador, cropped directly from google maps and very close to actual size, with a few liberties taken.
Shoes...

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6534 on: February 05, 2019, 01:34:51 am »

Where are the hexes, tho?
Glory to Arstotzka!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6535 on: February 05, 2019, 01:40:18 am »

How does a DBZ RPG even work

Shouldn't it take like four sessions to do anything
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: February 05, 2019, 05:13:46 am »

How does a DBZ RPG even work

Shouldn't it take like four sessions to do anything
Sessions end mid-combat

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6537 on: February 05, 2019, 05:15:53 am »

Players yell at each other for several hours then the GM arbitrarily decides on a winner. Repeat.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #6538 on: February 05, 2019, 05:21:17 am »

Players yell at each other for several hours then the GM arbitrarily decides on a winner. Repeat.
So, a politics simulation.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6539 on: February 05, 2019, 07:00:26 am »

If Medusa became a vampire, would she be unbeatable?
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 623