Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845658 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7395 on: October 21, 2019, 11:59:02 pm »

Nice, Hanslanda! Tell us what you did?

Did you run an premade adventure or did you make your own?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7396 on: October 22, 2019, 09:16:35 am »

It was a pre-campaign test session to get the group backstory and feel for play down, so I set a basic framework down then just improv-ed wildly.

Highlights included:
-They brutally murdered terrified bandits, then made friends with a posse of hobgoblins.
-Met with a contact that they'd been guided to by the (they don't know it yet) BBEG, immediately subverted them, and accidentally got them executed by a corrupt nobleman.
-Frustrated said noble to no end trying to renegotiate their contract before they even received it.
-Took another contract to murder a merchant and did so rather well.
-Accidentally pissed off an Archmage Gnome while he was spying on his girlfriend in bird form, and stole his hat.
-Shit talked the Level 20 Fighter BBEG with Fast Healing 30 in the middle of a market crawling with his assassins, paid off guards, and invisible magical backup. He still offered them magical items to subvert a noble.
-Despite all this they are still playing directly into my trap and haven't managed to derail my plot plan. I'm going to have them framed (very little framing actually, the evil little shits are digging a deep enough hole) and either captured and sent to Not-Australia or they'll be forced to flee... To Not-Australia.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7397 on: October 22, 2019, 06:36:23 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gUcx45ryT0
I just found this, haven't watched yet.
Thought you guys might like it, or might like lampooning it.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7398 on: October 25, 2019, 12:49:40 pm »

I noticed something interesting that happens if you use RAW with Heat Metal.
It only affects creatures in contact with the metal, so someone wearing clothing under all their armor is completely unaffected by the spell, and their clothing is unaffected as well.
But if the targeted armor wearer grapples with someone, that creature will take the damage if they are in contact with the armor at all.

Also, what precisely is unmanufactured metal? The spell doesn't target that.

EDIT:Additional thought. What is the maximum size of something you can target with the spell? Would an entire metal castle count?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 01:03:25 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: October 25, 2019, 01:02:45 pm »

I'd assume that's raw ore, fresh from the mines or the pans and not yet smelted or formed.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7400 on: October 25, 2019, 04:08:40 pm »

I noticed something interesting that happens if you use RAW with Heat Metal.
It only affects creatures in contact with the metal, so someone wearing clothing under all their armor is completely unaffected by the spell, and their clothing is unaffected as well.
But if the targeted armor wearer grapples with someone, that creature will take the damage if they are in contact with the armor at all.

Also, what precisely is unmanufactured metal? The spell doesn't target that.

EDIT:Additional thought. What is the maximum size of something you can target with the spell? Would an entire metal castle count?

You could try arguing that, but that'd be stupid, since almost no armour has metal in direct contact with skin anyway - they'll all have layers of padding beneath them, and indeed almost all of them describe armour as splint/maille/whatever on leather, or cloth. Wearing clothing beneath doesn't mean you're not in contact with the object, which is what matters, and to argue someone isn't in contact with armour they're wearing is... well, absurd. It's be like saying Heat Metal shouldn't work on a sword, because the handle is wrapped in leather.

An unmanufactured metal object... plenty of metals can be found in their pure form naturally. Gold nuggets, for instance. Metal meteorites.

A castle would not be an object.

For the purpose of these rules, an object is a discrete, inanimate item like a window, door, sword, book, table, chair, or stone, not a building or a vehicle that is composed of many other objects.
No size limit is assigned to Heat Metal, so you might be able to heat one of the walls if your GM is feeling generous.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: October 25, 2019, 04:43:43 pm »

I suppose it makes sense in a Dnd context, since touch spells can be cast while wearing full armor, but what exactly is physical contact then?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:46:28 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: October 25, 2019, 05:05:08 pm »

I suppose it makes sense in a Dnd context, since touch spells can be cast while wearing full armor, but what exactly is physical contact then?
Presumably its a blanket term for holding, wearing, or touching the object in question.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: October 25, 2019, 07:09:32 pm »

A castle would not be an object.

So, I can't heat metal the entire city of Dis?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: October 25, 2019, 07:39:40 pm »

The definition of object is: a material thing that can be seen and touched, which is actually pretty unhelpful for fantasy or sci-fi because then something invisible ceases to be an object, but still, under that definition, a castle counts as an object, a city counts as an object, basically anything made of metal counts as a metal object, it's a really poor definition, but it's the one Google gives me so eh.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: October 25, 2019, 08:13:08 pm »

but a thing is an social constructile meeting between parts to air grievances and work out disagreements
Love, scriver~

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: October 25, 2019, 08:28:45 pm »

So, I can't heat metal the entire city of Dis?
I don't think that would change a lot, considering where Dis is and who lives there...
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: October 25, 2019, 09:49:51 pm »

Someone already cast Heat Metal on Dis's entire plane of existence.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: October 26, 2019, 03:27:28 am »

The definition of object is: a material thing that can be seen and touched, which is actually pretty unhelpful for fantasy or sci-fi because then something invisible ceases to be an object, but still, under that definition, a castle counts as an object, a city counts as an object, basically anything made of metal counts as a metal object, it's a really poor definition, but it's the one Google gives me so eh.
The definition given by the game, however, is specific in saying a building is not an object but a collection of discrete objects like doors, walls, windows, etc.

When characters need to saw through ropes, shatter a window, or smash a vampire's coffin, the only hard and fast rule is this: given enough time and the right tools, characters can destroy any destructible object.

Use common sense when determining a character's success at damaging an object. Can a fighter cut through a section of a stone wall with a sword? No, the sword is likely to break before the wall does.

For the purpose of these rules, an object is a discrete, inanimate item like a window, door, sword, book, table, chair, or stone, not a building or a vehicle that is composed of many other objects.

but a thing is an social constructile meeting between parts to air grievances and work out disagreements
No, a thing is an ancient alien found in antartica that destroys a research station
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: October 26, 2019, 04:00:23 am »

Speaking of which, how much damage do you need to put out to be an effective siege weapon?
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 623