Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849127 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7680 on: January 12, 2020, 09:32:24 pm »

Many modules are designed for a 15 point buy 4 man team, so if you're exceeding this baseline, it can be fairly simple. Especially if you've got a group talented at optimizing their characters.
Man, I'm in a game where there's six of us at 25 pb and using optional rules and third party content that increase power level further and yesterday we still wound up with two PCs going below 0 hp and one (not entirely by coincidence, mine) would have died entirely if not for an astounding and entirely un-earned but of luck. And although this was a particularly spectacular session, it was by no means the first time.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:59:04 pm by Cruxador »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7681 on: January 14, 2020, 07:32:17 am »

Getting geared up for a Shadowrun interlude while DnD is on hiatus. I'm GMing, which I've never done before. I've played a handful of times and it's pretty much the only game that I've read the novels of.

Any advice for GMing? The players are new to SR and newish to gaming (6 months experience each in games)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: January 14, 2020, 09:24:07 am »

Getting geared up for a Shadowrun interlude while DnD is on hiatus. I'm GMing, which I've never done before. I've played a handful of times and it's pretty much the only game that I've read the novels of.

Any advice for GMing? The players are new to SR and newish to gaming (6 months experience each in games)

Shadowrun is probably the easiest system to learn to GM, because each story is entirely encapsulated. You just have a few rules you need to know. It also helps that you know the players will go off whatever rails you set for them, but still try to complete the mission.

For a single session, I'd start with showing an interesting location (Ork Underground, plastic jungles, The borders in Denver, etc.) and some sort of story (rescuing someone who was kidnapped, making sure a singer makes it to their concert, stopping a neighborhood from being demolished for a new corp facility, rip off an action movie, etc.). Find a way that they mesh, and what special things the location changes (low lighting in the Ork Underground, legality issues at borders, different languages/linguasofts needed, etc.). Once you know where they're going and why, you can start setting up the actual run.

What kind of security would make sense in a perfect world for everywhere they might go because they'll start a fight somewhere they shouldn't need to, why don't they have that kind of security (being too cheap, the security they have is old, the security is only partially installed, whoever set it up made mistakes), and the general attitude of the security forces (overconfident, bored, power-mad but miss things). The second part there is where you can tailor the difficulty to the party. You also want to know where all of the entrances are, and where new entrances might get made. How do people who work there normally get in?

Pay special attention to what spells the mage has, and what drones the rigger has. A lightning bolt is more effective against drones and computers, but otherwise doesn't do anything interesting. Invisibility (and is it the invis that works against both cameras and people, or just people) and levitation means you have to know those rules, and what that will allow them to get around. Don't let the mage solve everyone's problems. The rigger might be based on driving fast, stealth surveillance with small drones, or have a small army that can throw down a lot of damage once they're going loud. Try to make sure one scene works for them. Adepts probably have some interesting powers like wall-running or face sculpting, so plan for a scene that lets them do those things. Also, don't plan anything completely. Your players will think of things you didn't, and will just bypass things you planned. Having twice as many things that are half as planned out means more of your work gets used.

Expect combat to be deadly. Depending on edition, 90% of characters can be 2-shot or take down an opponent in 2 shots. Ambushes means one side gets their shots before the other side can defend, so those fights will be very one-sided.

If you know what characters and how many you'll have, we can give more specific advice.

Edit: To make combat less deadly towards the PCs, you will want to make sure opponents are always slightly less powerful than the PCs. I usually ran with 1+ die advantage in favor of PCs, because they need to win every time, where enemies only need to win once. Also, what edition are you running? I'm mostly experienced with 4e, but know some 3e, and enough 5e to know why I don't play it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 10:22:29 am by Iduno »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7683 on: January 14, 2020, 10:28:31 am »

Shadowrun character creation (and equipping of characters) can be a bit overwhelming, don't be afraid to suggest your players use the pre-rolled characters of the rulebook (if there are any) if they want to.
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: January 14, 2020, 10:44:59 am »

Shadowrun character creation (and equipping of characters) can be a bit overwhelming, don't be afraid to suggest your players use the pre-rolled characters of the rulebook (if there are any) if they want to.

You...haven't looked at the pre-gen characters, have you? In most systems, and definitely in Shadowrun, pre-gen characters are created in order to beta test the game. They're printed as ideas of what you can be, but the rules have changed several times since they were created, and they are usually very limited in scope (including missing skills or equipment that they would need to do their job).

Generating your own, or grabbing them off Dumpshock or whatever might work, but you probably don't want to use the pre-gens for PCs.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7685 on: January 16, 2020, 01:53:04 am »

Two players in 5e. An adept (focused mostly on mobility and infiltration) and a rigger (focused on recon and using drones to give debuffs to enemies).

I'm setting it in our local area, will take some published stuff to appropriate.

I'm doing an easy early adventure to explain the mechanics for everything as best I can. Not looking forward to keeping track of debuffs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: January 16, 2020, 03:51:24 am »

So... As a question of faith...

Would a gnome be gnostic or gnon-denominational?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #7687 on: January 16, 2020, 07:49:23 am »

That would depend on the gnome's level of metaphysical awaregness.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: January 16, 2020, 09:31:40 am »

Likely gnegligible or gnearly ignfignite
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7689 on: January 16, 2020, 09:33:43 am »

Two players in 5e. An adept (focused mostly on mobility and infiltration) and a rigger (focused on recon and using drones to give debuffs to enemies).

I'm setting it in our local area, will take some published stuff to appropriate.

I'm doing an easy early adventure to explain the mechanics for everything as best I can. Not looking forward to keeping track of debuffs.

Yeah, 4e is easier to teach and GM, and also doesn't have weird math that makes a sniper rifle the correct thing to carry into close combat while a small pistol is just as effective as a sniper rifle at range. 5e had some good ideas, then just took any ideas anyone had and added them, even if they were stupid or 3 other people already nerfed the same thing. I don't remember debuffs, but that sounds about right.

Sounds like you want a simple sneaking mission, probably minimal combat. Maybe just have them sneak into a warehouse to take out the boss, bonus if they don't hurt anyone else, and extra bonus if they make it look like an accident/suicide that can't be pinned on any of the workers. It's a super-simple thing, but would benefit from recon (to know what's all in the warehouse) and sneaking.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7690 on: January 16, 2020, 10:11:41 am »

That would depend on the gnome's level of metaphysical awaregness.
Gnome's not obviously metaphysical, eh?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: January 16, 2020, 11:47:15 am »

Cheers, Iduno. Partly we are doing Shadowrun because one of our players only solve problems with violence and escalation and we want a game that's not condusive to that.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: January 16, 2020, 12:05:20 pm »

Cheers, Iduno. Partly we are doing Shadowrun because one of our players only solve problems with violence and escalation and we want a game that's not condusive to that.

Directed violence is a great way to deal with that.

Plus, creating a funhouse with stuff in a lowest-bidder warehouse is much better than just hitting some goblins with sticks. Janky railings, forklifts that have a delay before they stop, automation that doesn't check for people...

Edit: OSHA's top 10 cited violations, to get those creative juices flowing. Sprinkle in a few of your own ideas for dangers in a warehouse, and you're off to the races.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 03:14:44 pm by Iduno »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7693 on: January 18, 2020, 02:31:59 pm »

The above image is broken, here's a working version.

Also, my current Pathfinder campaign is nearly over, so I'm getting ready for my next character. I think I'll play a half-orc brawler follower of Gorum with the animal companion archetype.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 03:18:55 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: January 18, 2020, 08:49:12 pm »

Currently playing my Pathfinder game. It's fun, but I'm certain this would be like 300% better if it were in person and not online. Between Discord glitches, slow computers, poor mics and Roll20 issues, the pace of play is absolutely glacial.

I'm just having a blast finally playing a PNP game with a group that's actually a good fit for once.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 623