Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845465 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8565 on: February 11, 2021, 04:50:02 am »

that's gud cheese

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: February 11, 2021, 04:52:38 am »

While searching for a ninja vampire renegade spy down at the city docks, our group of intrepid guardsmen interrupted a vessel unloading an illegal cargo shipment at the end of last session.

Seeing the city guard arrive, the miscreants unloading the ship fled the scene, dropping one of the giant crates, which broke open and gave forth a mighty roar from within!

Any suggestions from the community what's inside the crate?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: February 11, 2021, 06:27:35 am »

Dire Badger?
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: February 11, 2021, 06:35:46 am »

Any suggestions from the community what's inside the crate?

Well you could go with a cockatrice for the value of "It's a cock in a box!", but that's neither very large nor particularly appropriate for city guardsmen (unless they're supposed to be especially disposable).

What sort of CR are you looking for? You could potentially do a chromatic dragon wyrmling of some sort, whites seem appropriate for their weaker and more bestial nature. Just tone it down a bit by doing things like removing flight and toning down the breath weapon a bit, since it'll probably have been weakened by starvation and the cramped conditions of the crate for however long it's been in there. Breath weapon could potentially just be a relatively mild chill, with CON save versus having disadvantage on attacks as the biting cold makes movement difficult?

A white dragon wyrmling definitely sounds like the kind of thing a crazy crime lord would try to have captured and smuggled in for a personal menagerie. Although it doesn't make a great deal of sense if there are several of them in the other boxes, that strikes me as going a bit overboard...

Worgs? Uncommon thing for humans to have lying around, someone could be attempting to train/deal with them to get an assassination squad that looks like wild animal or goblin attacks.

EDIT: Wait, you're not running 5e, are you... Uhhh, nevermind what I said about disadvantage then :P

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8569 on: February 11, 2021, 07:46:22 am »

It's a dire hippo! Or it's something cute and small which makes a lot of noice.

@Kagus - does that crossbow kata keso take into account that you get disadvantage on ranged attacks once your target is tripped?
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: February 11, 2021, 07:59:29 am »

The exact rule for prone is that attackers get advantage if they're within 5 feet and disadvantage if they're further away.
So if you try to shoot someone with a bow while standing over them you would get advantage because you're within 5 feet, which cancels out with disadvantage from attacking with a ranged weapon while an opponent is within 5 feet.
Crossbow master would negate the latter penalty, leaving us with advantage.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8571 on: February 11, 2021, 08:21:07 am »

Druid lvl 1: cantrip: infestation: BEES
Druid 3: summon BEEast
Druid 4: Wildshape into GIANT BEE
Druid 5: Conjure aniBEES
Druid 6: Summon fey BEES
Druid 7: GIANT INSECT BEE
Druid 9: INSECT PLAGUE (of) BEES
Ranger 3: Swarm of BEE Keeper

New char idea
The man in black and yellow

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: February 11, 2021, 09:36:13 am »

I'm on a quest to seek the Queen.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: February 11, 2021, 09:47:12 am »

GOODBERRYHONEY
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: February 11, 2021, 10:28:59 am »

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8575 on: February 12, 2021, 11:19:06 am »

Pleasantly realised going full hunter-banshee sorcerer gimmick was surprisingly effective for a unique melee full-caster. Never really used charms and frightens, always thought they were pretty ineffective, but this worked great wonders for roleplay potential and crowd control:

1. First targeted the enemy necromanshah, running towards them and summoning the evil doggy of omen. Use dissonant whispers to force him to run away from all of his guards, also triggering AOO from banshee & her best friend doggo, the latter also getting advantage from pack tactics. Necromancer succeeded their STR test to avoid getting knocked prone.
2. Next do the same, this time summoning a second doggo and casting cause fear. Necromancer gets disadvantage because next to two evil doggos. Disengages & runs away whilst calling for help. Gets knocked prone by doggos, can't run away effectively, now triggering advantage from everyone.
3. Very very dead necromancer, all whilst maintaining the theme of an evil fey hunter
4. scream to celebrate, this silence offends slaanesh

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8576 on: February 13, 2021, 07:02:49 am »

Quote from: Telekinetic Feat
  • You learn the Mage Hand cantrip. You can cast it without verbal or somatic components, and you can make the spectral hand invisible. If you already know this spell, its range increases by 30 feet when you cast it. Its spellcasting ability is the ability increased by this feat.

Quote from: Mage Hand Cantrip
Conjuration cantrip

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 minute

A spectral, floating hand appears at a point you choose within range. The hand lasts for the duration or until you dismiss it as an action. The hand vanishes if it is ever more than 30 feet away from you or if you cast this spell again.

RAW, this means that the Telekinetic feat allows you to cast the spell at a range where it immediately fizzles; accomplishing absolutely nothing. RAI is probably supposed to allow the hand to actually sustain and operate at the 30-60' range.

As an aside, I think it's a little funny that a Phantom with Green-Flame Blade (via feat or Elf or whatever) can sneak attack someone with low AC, and then damage someone next to them for Spellmod+(sneak attack/2) damage with no save or attack roll. If bounded accuracy weren't a thing, that might even be useful.

Could be funny designing a boss fight around something that effectively couldn't be hit or fail saves, so you have to use auto-hit effects like that to bypass the defenses. Or just go Scourge Archon Stormbarian and stand next to them while dodging every turn, and let your doubled aura of ouchieness whittle them down.

Fun fact; that combo can spend every action during a rage just dodging and still maintain the rage, provided the racial ability is active. Very angry dodging.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8577 on: February 13, 2021, 07:25:01 am »

I can't believe the silly Americans named a subclass "Phantom". I am never not going to think of the Phantom when I see it.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8578 on: February 13, 2021, 07:29:09 am »

I can't believe the silly Americans named a subclass "Phantom". I am never not going to think of the Phantom when I see it.

Enchanted Ring of Punching +1 (finesse, light)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #8579 on: February 13, 2021, 09:54:31 am »

If it was in Pathfinder, it could be a Ring of Arcane Mark. In 5e it doesn't work as well, since that effect is moved to Prestidigitation and only has a duration of 1 hour, rather than permanent.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 623