Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 298789 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #750 on: May 02, 2020, 08:42:15 am »

Neoverse, one of the selections on this month's (May) Humble WhateverTheyCallItNow, is the same genre as Slay the Spire but way easier due to massively increased flexibility and minimal RNG screw. Four lengthy runs in, and I'm definitely viewing it favorably. Terminology will be closer to StS for simplicity's sake. (Update: Okay, if you're used to StS or the like, it's waaaay easy... the first class is actually one of the harder ones to work with. Thankfully, there are harder modes that bring it up to something other than an easy win.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 12:38:12 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: May 03, 2020, 12:16:19 am »

Blasted Road Terror, which describes itself as a "real-time tactical looter," is a pretty neat bite-sized game.

I'd describe it as Convoy, but actually good (in my opinion). Much more streamlined and the combat is faster paced, but there is effectively no story whatsoever and no world map or whatnot. Just combat. You have a central mothervehicle plus four regular ones, versus waves of enemies in Mad Max encounters. Most missions are short, though there are 'patrols' which basically string together a series of encounters while managing resources.

It does a good job of the aesthetic. Weapons range from 'spearboys' (i.e. the explosive spear chuckers from Fury Road) to giant lasers, vehicles are nicely cobbled together, music & sound is properly crunchy, etc. I find myself coming back to it from time to time for an hour or two, as it does a good job of scratching an itch. It's also pretty cheap (9 bucks, but frequently on sale).

Spoiler: Rather more on it (click to show/hide)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: May 03, 2020, 08:25:48 am »

Has anyone else played Tyranny? I got it as part of a Humble Bundle, and I'm far enough in that the hope for an interesting game has kind of died. It seems to be pretty disappointing for a game you get as part of a Humble Bundle.

From the way-too edgelordy story, to Paradox's need for players to be unable to do anything particularly interesting, it just doesn't seem to have much to offer. Am I missing something?

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: May 03, 2020, 09:16:27 am »

Tyranny is...another game I needed to finish, someday, somehow.

But the 1/3 of it I did go through felt almost like a simplified version of Pillars of Eternity except for its magic system which, to me, was pretty neat. The wordiness and extra demands on role-play was exactly the same, and some of the choices were sufficiently out-of-the-box for me, though I suppose it's hard to have a not-edgy story with one of your sidekicks literally wrapped head-to-foot in it.

So, yes, it's a nice game in my book...nice enough to make me want to finish it someday, at least.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: May 03, 2020, 09:40:10 am »

Tyranny is...another game I needed to finish, someday, somehow.

But the 1/3 of it I did go through felt almost like a simplified version of Pillars of Eternity except for its magic system which, to me, was pretty neat. The wordiness and extra demands on role-play was exactly the same, and some of the choices were sufficiently out-of-the-box for me, though I suppose it's hard to have a not-edgy story with one of your sidekicks literally wrapped head-to-foot in it.

So, yes, it's a nice game in my book...nice enough to make me want to finish it someday, at least.

I think a combination of the "scrape and save for a 0.5% increase in this stat with this slight malus" combined with early enemies who are immune to certain elemental attacks (and come in mixed packs, so you might need 3-4 elements with your 2 spell slots) when you have a very limited number of spells is just frustrating enough that the game isn't fun anymore. The spell system could be neat, if there were enough components to make more than a dozen different spells. The absolute scaling (all enemies scale to whatever level you are with no limit, and skills are tied to level) also means you can never come back when difficult enemies are easier, because they never will be.

Edit: I wasn't a fan of POE for similar reasons, so being a not-great POE knock-off isn't going to cut it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 03:40:05 pm by Iduno »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: May 04, 2020, 02:52:39 am »

That just sounds like Tyrannyphobia to me.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: May 06, 2020, 10:03:20 am »

Endless Space:
"These 96 school students need to reach Mars in the Sol System...for a historical field trip."

Yeah, I'll be getting right on that, school system. I'm kinda short on bunks (have 14), though, so it would help if you put them in these livestock crates for me. Look, for the money you're offering, I'll take 96 tons of school students, I just can't handle loose students. You still don't have seatbelts on buses, so I know you aren't particular about them arriving in one piece. It'll be fine.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: May 06, 2020, 01:12:31 pm »

Endless Space:
"These 96 school students need to reach Mars in the Sol System...for a historical field trip."

Yeah, I'll be getting right on that, school system. I'm kinda short on bunks (have 14), though, so it would help if you put them in these livestock crates for me. Look, for the money you're offering, I'll take 96 tons of school students, I just can't handle loose students. You still don't have seatbelts on buses, so I know you aren't particular about them arriving in one piece. It'll be fine.

Are you sure that's Endless Space? And not, say, Endless Sky?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: May 06, 2020, 01:32:49 pm »

I think Iduno is talking about Endless Sky. I've seen historical field trip jobs like that before in Endless Sky. Also in Endless Sky: aliens. Quite a few aliens. I won't say any more than that though, for the sake of avoiding story spoilers.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: May 06, 2020, 03:14:48 pm »

Endless Space:

Are you sure that's Endless Space? And not, say, Endless Sky?

Yeah, that thing.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: May 06, 2020, 04:11:11 pm »

Has anyone else played Tyranny? I got it as part of a Humble Bundle, and I'm far enough in that the hope for an interesting game has kind of died. It seems to be pretty disappointing for a game you get as part of a Humble Bundle.

From the way-too edgelordy story, to Paradox's need for players to be unable to do anything particularly interesting, it just doesn't seem to have much to offer. Am I missing something?
I actually finished a playthrough of Tyranny just recently. Enjoyed it enough that I might loop back around sometime to try being allied to one of the other possible factions.

I think it most shines in its magic system - especially when you get up to three digits worth of Lore skill. You really start feeling godlike, hurling around massive frost-fireballs, beams of negative energy, chain lightning, and the like. To that end, I fully recommend taking the leadership skills that increase the number of spell slots that everyone has, then having the stupid ones eat/drink/whore their way into a high enough lore skill that you can teach them some healing and/or buff spells that they can cast on themselves/eachother - they don't need to stay smart enough to cast the spell, just to learn it.

My only complaint is that the last 4th of the game feels very rushed - on your road to taking over towers, you go through elaborate dungeons for the first two... and the last couple are literally just single rooms. Also, the expected final boss fight... isn't.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 04:15:10 pm by AlStar »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: May 07, 2020, 09:14:28 am »

They're working on a new Gearhead, called Gearhead Caramel. I don't know, either. But it does mean they're probably done with Gearhead 2.

It's a free game where you pilot a mech, and then keep bolting parts on until it's awesome. Or you run around as just a human. The difficulty scales (fairly quickly, from what I remember) based on how successful you are, so you generally succeed in a mech a few times to get more money (and salvage parts?), then go get beat up as a person so your mech doesn't get blown up. Also, your mission and character background are procgen, with hilarious results. The original had a great skill system where I think you could win as anything from a soldier to a rock star to a mech engineer who makes insane frankenmechs that have 40 wings all attached to each other with several guns on each wing. I'm not sure that one was meant to be taken seriously, but the second one sounded more serious? I haven't played the second one yet, so someone else will have to step in. The games aren't impressive-looking, but they also cost you nothing, so give them a try.

Anyway, they're trying to hire people to make the new game, so it will probably be an actually great game. Here's the dev's website.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: May 07, 2020, 09:21:23 am »

I remember hearing something about that before, but must have forgotten. Neat.

From the most recent release notes on Caramel's Github page:
Performance now gives weaponized singing in combat. LISTEN TO MY SONG
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #763 on: May 07, 2020, 10:51:54 am »

Spoiler: Relevant (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:06:13 am by n9103 »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: May 07, 2020, 11:58:43 am »

I liked Tyranny pretty well. Yes, it's a crapsack world, I wouldn't call it edgelord fantasy though. In a setting that dystopian, it seems reasonable to me that it would be real hard to be a true paragon of virtue where you can walk around unequivocally helping everyone. The decisions you make have consequences (in-world even if the story feels railroaded despite the choices you make) and, in-character, would have to be made with pragmatic considerations.

I did find the combat pretty easy/forgiving, which helped. I wouldn't have wanted to play through it four times to learn skill combinations that break the game.

I really liked the setting would have wanted to explore it more, by whatever means. I'd really like to know about the history of the oldwalls, how they are related to the spires, and how the spires and oldwalls (and undoubtedly the ley-line energies they're built on) relate to the history of the world, edicts, and the overlord. (Though maybe the character is only compelling because it is enigmatic, and any portrayal would simply fail to meet expectations that have been built up.) The expansion covers a tiny bit of it but not much.

But I don't think any of that is going to happen. I haven't kept up with it but I'd seen it mentioned that the IP owners aren't merely non-committal about a sequel, but actively refuse to do so.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:33:58 pm by Niveras »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 168