Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008073 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #9960 on: April 21, 2019, 07:28:17 pm »

So, I take it the referendums to join the EU and NATO he offered are a lie?  My apologies, but this is not intended to be fatuitous; I haven't followed the Ukrainian election.
It's true that he said this during his campaign, and whether he meant it is not something anyone but he can answer.
Just to be clear, I did not mean to imply that he's a literal Russian puppet. Still, it's not hard to see how from the Russian perspective it's the preferable choice of the two candidates (much like with Trump).
On the one hand you had an experienced hardliner who had led the nation through an open conflict with their neighbour, and who was all but certain to keep his staunchly anti-Russian politics. On the other hand you have a malleable outsider that's much more likely to make concessions, and whose lack of experience makes him prone to manipulation by the powers already entrenched in the system.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9961 on: April 21, 2019, 08:19:08 pm »

If he had a personality like Trumps, maybe he could stand a chance, but he doesn’t sound like he might be anything close to Trump personality wise and he seems to be more or less copying other politicians.

As far as Oligarchs go, he already has some ties to one.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9962 on: April 21, 2019, 09:34:28 pm »

So, I take it the referendums to join the EU and NATO he offered are a lie?  My apologies, but this is not intended to be fatuitous; I haven't followed the Ukrainian election.
Referendum to join EU and NATO is quite pointless when you are very far away from membership. Unless you want to block current movement in that direction and make a little brexit like referendum.

As for pro-Russian... It is not about direct ties to Putin or something like that. It is more about values he promotes. For example - https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-lgbt-tv-station-apology-pinocchio-parody-transgender/28959083.html
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9963 on: April 21, 2019, 10:10:58 pm »

Make no mistake. Zelensky didn't win because he used pro-Russian rhetoric (openly pro-Russian candidates got 15% combined in the first round). He actually avoided to talk about such things as much as he could.

His campaign was very simple - attack Poroshenko. Talking about how he steals billions, talking about how he doesn't end the war because he profits from it, how he failed to bring "real reforms", how he failed to imprison corrupted politicians and judges, etc. That and calling himself and his team to be "new faces" that aren't linked to the current corrupt system.

His own promises are beyond vague. Nothing except promises to somehow end the war, bring old corrupted politicians to justice and improve economy.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9964 on: April 21, 2019, 10:30:26 pm »

Basically, he sounded like a populist to a consistuency hungry (or desperate even) for change to the status quo.

I can't prove it, but the success of Trump (whether he actually succeeds in 'Making America Great Again', history will judge) could have made a complete political neophyte with possibly even less understanding of politics than Trump seem like a good idea and more palpable than it otherwise might have been.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9965 on: May 04, 2019, 11:57:28 am »

“What the voters have been saying is, ‘A plague on both your houses,’” Britain’s leading polling expert, John Curtice, a professor of politics at the University of Strathclyde, told the BBC.
lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol
lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

Worse is likely to come for Britain’s two big political parties. They must now gear up for elections to the European Parliament on May 23, when two new parties that did not run on Thursday will take part: the Brexit Party, which backs leaving the European Union quickly and without an agreement if necessary; and Change UK, which wants to remain in the bloc.
The Brexit Party, led by Nigel Farage, the former leader of the United Kingdom Independence Party, is being particularly closely watched — recent opinion polls suggest it is tied with Labour for the lead in those elections, or even ahead, and taking much of its support from former Conservative voters.
Noice
Theresa May will make Nigel the Prime Minister

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9966 on: May 04, 2019, 03:52:29 pm »

Only problem though is that when you look at the results, it reads like a mixed/confused message since at least a third up to almost half of the conservative seats flipped to LibDem, a remain party. They definitely want change, but what do they want exactly? To remain? Would be nice to know the breakdown of these ‘other’ parties though.

Sounds like the May 23rd EU election is the closest thing to a second referendum that Britons are going to get anytime in the future. Though I’ve read that EU elections have always been low turnout, lower than national elections oftentimes. So, low turnout for the UK region could muddy any sort of mandate messaging.

It also looks like unionists in general took a hit in NI, but nowhere as dramatic as it did in England. So, no idea how that would affect things there.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 04:00:04 pm by smjjames »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9967 on: May 04, 2019, 03:58:14 pm »

Bretons are French. Mon dieu.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9968 on: May 04, 2019, 03:59:40 pm »

Yeah you’re right, nvm. I was sort of stream of consciousnessing there or something or other I guess.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 04:13:03 pm by smjjames »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9969 on: May 05, 2019, 10:17:45 am »

There's nothing French about Bretons. To say there is is to support genocide.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9970 on: May 05, 2019, 12:07:39 pm »

They have French passports and citizenships.
Unless you mean those from Warhammer.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9971 on: May 05, 2019, 12:08:56 pm »

Je suis une pomme de terre
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9972 on: May 05, 2019, 12:35:35 pm »

But those are also French.

No, I think he means the Bretons of High Rock. Those are definitely not French.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9973 on: May 05, 2019, 01:43:29 pm »

Vous etes une vache
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9974 on: May 05, 2019, 01:53:01 pm »

Vous etes une vache
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 793