Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31

Author Topic: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon  (Read 69417 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A dwarven dungeon - succession fortress.
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2016, 08:48:10 am »

I'll take Zasit if it's still free.  Also a turn / wait list.  Might as well get used to playing vanilla 43.05

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2016, 11:45:30 am »

Alright, I went ahead and embarked because I didn't want to lose these characters due to a crash / power outage (it sucks you can't save midway through an embark). Sanctume, Zasit was reserved for Onciblu as per the rules in OP, but I will dwarf you as the first migrant.

The Dwarves upon embark:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Expect a diary soon, late today or tomorrow perhaps! I'm freaking excited for this btw, we're literally surrounded by thousands upon thousands of enemies, I tried to center us smack in the middle of the largest population centers for all three races. I've modified it so they will attack at 20 pop, and all three send ambushes / sieges now. BTW if you're wondering, I accomplished this by making Dwarves babysnatchers, conversely removing it from goblins. So in this universe, Dwarves sneak into towns and steal babies, while Gobbos are the strange yet somewhat agreeable neighbors (at least to Humans and Elves). I'm hypothesizing we might have an interesting, non-dwarf trade diplomat, too.

Fortress Name:

Group Title:

Lastly, and the best part of all, Group Symbol:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:51:10 am by Salmeuk »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2016, 05:45:15 pm »

So even though siege pop is 20 they will still attack us cause we take their children?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2016, 08:28:56 pm »

I like the group title and the symbol.  Hopefully we can live up to it. 

Also, here's an opening entry for my character. Salmeuk, what date are we starting with?

Dairy of Carefulrogue Kolaran, Bookkeeper of Sneaktunnels.
Unknown date from 250
Alright, that's it.  After 8 years in the militias, and six as apprentice to one of the most prestigious merchants' guild, I get this? Damn the king, and his damnable obsessions, insults, and foreign policy.  Now I get to ride a fucking cart, to Armok knows where, when everyone knows all of the other races HATE us!  How the Hell does the King except us to get there with everything intact?!  Most importantly, how are WE supposed to get there intact?!?!

Two weeks later.
We've arrived.  Damn the King again.  I've looking all around us, heck, I climbed on top of the cart, and I see NOTHING in every direction except sand and a river to our east.  No easy supplies of wood, no bushes to harvest berries and vegetables from.  Sure, the one that calls himself Salmeuk insisted on rationing the food, which should now last us a bit longer, but still!  I don't like plump helmets.  Too sweet.  Cave wheat is much better.  And the meat.  So salty.  I didn't even know there was a salt mine in the mountain homes until I saw the emblem stamped on the side of the barrels.  I was the bookkeeper, how the heck didn't I know this? Was it kept from me intentionally?  These I'll seek answers to later, if we manage to survive here, and if I can begin a correspondence to a few friends back home. 
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 02:55:30 pm »

Diary of Salmeuk, Arrival at Sneaktunnels

After a week of traveling through the endless sand and dirt, climbing dune after dune after dune, we have arrived at the bend in the stream that marks our new home. 

This desert wasteland, known to dwarves as The Big Dunes, seems like a great place to die and less great place to build a fortress. In fact, I wouldn't have recognized the site if not for Carefulrogues, erm, careful mapreading. This sunken canyon seemed no different than the last five, but apparently it's the one our venerable King wanted us to settle in. The stream is full of carp, but otherwise this land is barren and dull. I'm just glad to stop walking - it took us seven months to get here.

This site is barely a stones throw away from the forest retreat known as Lizardveil, which we suspect to be full of dirty elves. I have no idea
what they were thinking settling in a treeless desert, in fact you would be hard-pressed to call it a "forest" retreat, but nevertheless we need
to be wary of ambushes. The whole thing just goes to show you: elves are dumb, yet dangerous.

Day 3

I saw a strange creature today. It was short, slow, brown, and looked kind of like a turtle but less tasty. I asked Carefulrogue what the hell it was, and he didn't know, but  Glittergold chimed in.

"It's a desert tortoise. I used to trade for their shells, back at the mountainhome, when I was a trader. They made great sink basins, you
know, and you could make a really decent profit if you knew the right people, which I did. You have to be careful, though, because the shells can have invisible cracks running through them that only open up once you fill it with water. I lost a good deal of money that way once, if you can believe it, when a strange-looking dwarf by the name of Ivi-"

"That's great, Glittergold. That's great."

I don't trust the thing, it might be working for the elves.

Day 5

As the Architect, I've been sort of tasked with designing this place from the ground up. I've never designed for warfare, really, since back home it was all about building for aesthetics. Lots of pillars, buttresses, and grand hallways, things like that. Truth be told, I'm excited to work with the most basic of Dwarven design principles: brutal pragmatism.

The entrance is coming together.

At first, it was just a footbridge and some rough tunnels:

Now it has become this:

A simple granite bridge, just large enough for trade caravans, crosses the stream and leads into a downward ramp. After a makeshift trade depot of rough granite, the ramp doubles back and continues downward.

Oh, did I mention? We've already struck the caverns!

Only a few meters beneath the hard-packed soil sits an expansive underground lake, replete with cave fish and lobster. The winding passages boast an impressive array of fungal growths that we can process into wood, while the cavern floor is absolutely covered in edible plants. Sadly, the open space nullifies my earlier designs and now I'm just sort of winging it.

From now on I plan to spend less time drafting and more time digging.

Do you feel that? It's progress! Things are coming together! We might not die after all!

Day 7

Our mechanic Arcvasti, for some unknown reason, brought a number of cats from the mountainhome. The kittens are cute, sure, but I don't see how relevant they are to killing elves. They mostly wander to and fro, exploring and hunting vermin as they please.

My god, they are viscious little creatures. In their explorations out in the sand, the kittens discovered a den of rats and proceeded to
systematically exterminate the entire cluster.

Piles upon piles of dead rat started to accumulate outside, and in this oppressive heat the corpses worked up quite the stench. The kittens would then have the best time rolling about in the refuse and grime, mewling all the while.

Day 14

Gwolfski volunteered to scout the surface for edible plants, any sort of tree, and elvish spies. He found a few Sagauro cacti to the north, which we then cut down. With the planks from the broken-down carvan, that brings us to about 20 units of wood, enough for a few beds, barrels, and whatever else we need. Onciblu, our smelter, went ahead and burnt some of it into charcoal. He can then operate the forge, and with that silver we struck we might make some useful items. Still no sign of any other metals.

On another note, I spotted that damned tortoise again. As I was bringing in one of the horses for butchering I saw it suspisciously munching on some  greenery just outside the entrance. I swear to god it was glaring at me as I walked past. Something needs to be done, but no one heeds my warnings.

"It's just a dumb tortoise." - Gwolfski

"I could probably kill it, but it's kind of cute. It's not hurting anyone." - Carefulrogue

"I mean, if you want me to make a sink out of it, I could probably work with some of that nice cactus wood and jerry rig a few. . ." - Glittergold

*sigh*

Day 30

Considering how eclectic our group is, things are going well. The lottery managed to pick two administrators, two specialized craftsman, and only a few dwarves with the more practical skillsets of mining and farming. I didn't expect much from anyone - take Glittergold, for instance. He's a self-proclaimed trade wizard and apparently knows how to cut gems to exacting standards. Both of these skills are questionably useful for a death-dungeon, but he's made himself useful by carving out nextboxes for the hens, working hard to move our supplies inside, and at one point he even worked with Snow to mine out some rooms. None of us came here by choice, and our basest motivation is simply survival, but we seem to be making do.

As for the fortress itself, the designations are laid out and now all we have to do is get to digging. We're currently all packed into a single
room, and half of our time is spent moving things about to make room for other things. It's cooler down here that the surface, with the
occassional breeze floating up from the lake, but I still sweat after hauling so many boulders.

Enough for today, I need to get back to carving tables.

Day 60

More rooms have been dug. A number of bedrooms,

some food stores, a dining hall, chicken pen, spaces for farms, and a couple of
miscellaneous craftrooms. I've been extremly busy carving stone blocks and smoothing walls, and it seems like no one around here really
knows how to build anything without a little input from yours truly, but then again everyone seems to have a number of tasks that require
their dedicated focus so I can't complain.

I haven't seen that tortoise for some time. It's probably going back to the elves and delivering intel on our settlement, or maybe Gwolfski was right and it's just faffing about doing whatever a tortoise does. Either way, I hope it falls in the river and drowns.

Day 90

Summer has arrived! Not much has been done over the past month, mostly a lot of organization and consolidation of supplies. A number of migrants showed up at our gate today, as well. Apparently the mountainhome rounded up various "dissidents" and shipped them off to this place as punishment. The extra hands will be appreciated, though I don't know if we have enough beer to go around.

The migrants are as follows:

1 gelder,  Litast Whiprises, who is pretty good with a sword.

1 milker, Stodir Treatytours, who is pretty good with a spear.

1 metalcrafter, Degel Outragerags

1 potash maker, Atir Quakebud

1 glassmaker, Unib Endwheeled

I have already informed them that their old professions are largely irrelevant at Sneaktunnels, and despite some grumbling they seem to be getting along nicely.

This summer, we plan to flood the farms. The water will be pumped from the lake by Arcvasti and, after depositing the rich lake mud needed to grow our crops, will drain into a cistern. In one fell swoop we will secure access to both food and water. Damn I'm good.

OOC: Anyone is welcome to claim a migrant, with Sanctume and Vikram having priority!

Also snowdwarf, you should edit the thread title. And yeah, they will start attacking at 20 dwarves, I couldn't find a way to make them ambush us any sooner. This is good though because I don't want the fortress to wipe too soon.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:37:48 pm by Salmeuk »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2016, 03:43:55 pm »

Oooh, I like that "1 metalcrafter, Degel Outragerags"

neriractor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaktunnels, a dwarven dungeon - succession fortress.
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2016, 05:40:21 pm »

I'll take the milker (why are we picking extras?)

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2016, 05:44:31 pm »

I'm gonna sig that.

I'll put up a post based off of this in a bit, after some thought.
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2016, 06:56:05 pm »

Great Update!
I suggest that instead of making barrels you make large stone pots or whatever they are called at a craftsdwarfs workshop to save wood for cages. Why are we making farms in the caverns instead of making them closer to the surface where there is soil? Also, I'm gonna remind everyone that even though we've got a bridge we can't use it when we are attacked.
I'm gonna sig that.

I'll put up a post based off of this in a bit, after some thought.
I will add this as well to our quote bank (once we have one).
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

jrrocks1

• Bay Watcher
  • Armoks Sword in the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2016, 09:06:22 pm »

ame: Greatjon Umber(Lets see if any of you get the reference)

Occupation: Soldier of any type in the main squad (Preferably somebody with +85 strength but if not just give me your strongest available)

Any child must be given the last name of Umber. All Umbers join the military. The current head of the family will always have the name of Greatjon Umber. The oldest living child of the Greatjon must be called Smalljon. If the oldest living child dies it will move on to the next oldest Umber of the main line. They MUST all join the military. If the Greatjon dies the Smalljon becomes the Greatjon etc. If the Umber is not the Great or Smalljon he will be called the thirdjon, forthjon, fifthjon etc.

Heyy. Got back from summer break and this fortress looks good you can put me n the waiting list and dorf Greatjon if you have somebody with military skill with 85+ strength if not i will wait
From the forests of Elves, To the shores of Humans, To the Towers of Goblins, We fight our own battles, On land and on Sea, We fight for glory, We fight for gold, We are proud to call ourselves
A Dwarven Viking

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2016, 11:42:18 pm »

My promised post.  However, Salmeuk, on what date are we starting on? Year 250 I got from the birth/age of our dwarves, but I used the dwarven calendar for this.  I'd prefer to not contradict too much here.

3rd Granite, 250
Today Salmeuk had trouble identifying a desert turtle.  How, I have no idea.  Glittergold told him, but he eyed it suspiciously as if it would attack him on a whim.  Who the hell are these people I was sent with?

6th Granite, 250
We struck the caverns the other day.   Not a great sign if you ask me.  My guild had be organizing logistics for the guard, and the number of coffins, as well as bolts, and armor doesn’t reassure me in the least.  Salmeuk seemed annoyed, probably because of all of the plans I had seen him drawing up.  A shame we couldn’t act on them. 

7th Granite, 250
Acrvarti’s cats were cute while they were keeping mice and rats and birds out of our supplies on the way here.  Now, there are several piles of stinking rats littering the ground.  Lovely.  I’ll try my luck in the caverns now. 

15th Granite, 250
Salmeuk saw another desert turtle today.  He came in while many of us were on our dinner break.  Our overall response resounded with, “everything’s fine.”  Although, I like the way Glittergold thinks.  That sort of craftiness will be useful.  Now if only I can carve out a time to practice with my old blade.

4th Slate, 250
I wish I could get off of the hauling duties.  I’m not used to this level of exertion.  The ones among us that have crafting related jobs are the lucky ones.  They get a break from this mess for a bit. 

28th Slate, 250
At long last Salmeuk let the miners dig out private living quarters for us.  They aren’t done, and I’m not sure we can fully furnish them, but ANYTHING, is better than a dormitory, or worse, barracks.  A couple of my companions snore, as well.  And I swear, several coins kept have been disappearing from my stuff.  Well, I guess it’s not like coins are worth a particular lot here.

4th Felsite, 250
While hauling earlier I walked into Salmeuk, who was so deep into though he hadn’t noticed I almost had dropped a boulder on his foot.  Something about turtles, he said before going off.  What the heck?

28th Felsite, 250
We got some migrants earlier.  I don’t particularly care who these people are so long as they don’t try to sabotage our keep.  Also, I was making a count of our barrels, and I’m concerned that we may we running short of alcohol.  I’ll mention that to Salmeuk.  I don't want to have to drink any more water than I have to.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2016, 03:33:51 pm »

As my character is a she you can call me Zast
Ô_ quack

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2016, 08:54:21 pm »

Hmm...If we can be dorfed without needing to be put in line for lasting, I'll take the dorf with skill in a spear. And if we have to be put in place for a turn, might as well try my hand at a succession game. XD People will die when I'm in charge.

Also, Salmuek, is that the ASCII?
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2016, 11:35:47 am »

I'll take the milker (why are we picking extras?)

I meant for others, who aren't already signed up, to take a dwarf.

Great Update!
I suggest that instead of making barrels you make large stone pots or whatever they are called at a craftsdwarfs workshop to save wood for cages. Why are we making farms in the caverns instead of making them closer to the surface where there is soil? Also, I'm gonna remind everyone that even though we've got a bridge we can't use it when we are attacked.

I have been making pots but they weren't being made fast enough, I only ended up making like four barrels anyways and there's plenty of wood in the caverns.

The farms are for defense and compactness, since I find it easier to manage a fortress when everything is reasonably close together. Also it's just dwarfy, come on.

I've dwarfed Sanctume, jjrocks, speciesunknown, and renamed onciblu.

Yeah, this is ASCII, but not the default tileset. Instead I use Anno16x16, along with a Vherid colorset that I don't quite remember the name of. It will change as other players take turns, I'm sure someone probably uses a graphics pack so if you're having trouble understanding the screenshots don't fret.

Expect an update today :3

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2016, 01:10:52 pm »

Ô_ quack
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31