Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2468 2469 [2470] 2471 2472 ... 3516

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3654738 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37035 on: May 28, 2020, 01:29:47 pm »

Quite honestly, being put out of work and onto unemployment will pay more than some of those jobs, thanks to the COVID supplement.

Please note, this means those jobs pay too little, not that unemployment pays too much. Also, unemployment usually takes time to kick in, which is an issue.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37036 on: May 28, 2020, 01:32:07 pm »

Quite honestly, being put out of work and onto unemployment will pay more than some of those jobs, thanks to the COVID supplement.

For as long as that lasts, anyway.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #37037 on: May 28, 2020, 01:34:49 pm »

Really sucks for anybody who lives in the area: the neighborhood got wrecked, all the nearby grocery stores got looted/damaged and there's still a pandemic lurking in the background

Seems like the police followed the '92 LA playbook and just left the area to its own devices as the anger bomb consumed everything
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:36:44 pm by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37038 on: May 28, 2020, 01:39:53 pm »

Really sucks for anybody who lives in the area: the neighborhood got wrecked, all the nearby grocery stores got looted/damaged and there's still a pandemic lurking in the background

Seems like the police followed the '92 LA playbook and just left the area to its own devices as the anger bomb consumed everything
I'm fairly sure one target is not all the grocery stores in an area. Not that there's a complete list of business targets.

And yeah, the cops choosing to beat up protestors instead of actually stopping arson... Well that ain't a good look, is it?

The fire department did respond to fires, for the record. Without police support, because people like firefighters.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #37039 on: May 28, 2020, 01:53:36 pm »

Then again, the store is called Target so maybe they were asking for it

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37040 on: May 28, 2020, 02:15:00 pm »

I mean, who hasn't wanted to set fire to Target at some point in their lives.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37041 on: May 28, 2020, 02:28:15 pm »

Yeah, that's what I like best about the "but think of the Target employees" takes, as if watching that store get trashed isn't the daily fantasy of anybody who works there coming true.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37042 on: May 28, 2020, 02:33:25 pm »

And your perspective is exactly what riots are aimed at.  It's not about convincing you to care by pleading to your ethics (you did after all just call destruction of corporate property violence which is an incredible but common linguistic trick of false equivocation).  It's about forcing you to care because now it concerns you directly.  That's the point of distributing the absence of peace.  And the way you're talking about it right now just proves that it's effective.

:
:

I generally care about this "all the time" - as much as I "generally care" about most things.  The question I ask is - what can I actually do about this? I already vote for justice-minded folks.  I don't call the cops because I see someone walking down the road.  I haven't ever joined a protest though.  I suppose I could write my congresspeople.

But as an "average citizen" what am I expected to do to combat injustice? Join the mobs? Blog about it? This is half begging the question and half serious - when there are "calls for justice", to whom are those calls addressed?    Do you want me to glare at police officers whenever I see them?

What mechanisms do you propose to tear down these corrupted institutions? I agree they are corrupt, but I haven't really in my life seen a good example of how to "fix" any of them.  Maybe there has been an example and it's just hard to find because it's not as sensational?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37043 on: May 28, 2020, 02:52:30 pm »

The most important thing, the thing that underpins everything else, is public consciousness. To spread the idea of siding with oppressed over oppressor and common solidarity between those who do not have the luxury of justice against those who keep it for themselves alone. To reject propaganda about "protests turned violent" or "burning down their own neighborhood" or "should have followed the officer's instructions" and any of the rest of it. That's the real way to overcome division and to be on the right side. Without people knowing who's side they're really on, how can a protest hope to succeed in pressuring the system?

But if you should also feel the revolutionary fervor to go out and not break the Bay 12 Forum Guidelines in any way, shape or form, I promise I won't tell. That said, I don't recommend glaring at cops no matter how much you hate them, they have this tendency to kill people in broad daylight and get a million dollars in sympathetic donations after the fact, or at least a lot of free PR about how everyone knew you were a wild thug just waiting for an excuse.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #37044 on: May 28, 2020, 02:54:24 pm »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37045 on: May 28, 2020, 03:03:33 pm »

I'm fairly sure one target is not all the grocery stores in an area. Not that there's a complete list of business targets.

And yeah, the cops choosing to beat up protestors instead of actually stopping arson... Well that ain't a good look, is it?

The fire department did respond to fires, for the record. Without police support, because people like firefighters.

The cops' goal is twofold. 1) Keep the rioters out of expensive areas and 2) Beat up/kill some people because cops love violence.

It's an old story.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37047 on: May 28, 2020, 04:34:20 pm »

Meanwhile...

Fact checking is censorship

The absolute fucking madlad

Well, that's one way to completely bog down the FCC with trivial complaints.

Amazing how the party that loves to mock people for their "safe spaces" and holds the rights of businesses to decide what they want to do for themselves as sacrosanct is now suddenly crying foul. If this were even 10 years ago, the answer would be "then don't use their services." Now suddenly Twitter is a national platform because the commander in chief is too fucking lazy to do anything else but post from his phone.

Also amusing how they've spun "Russia is flooding social media in an effort to sway the election" in to "the companies themselves are trying to sway an election" by actually fact checking anything. It's like, if you call out something Trump said as a lie, in his mind it directly correlates to the election. It's so fucking transparent on his part.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37048 on: May 28, 2020, 04:40:22 pm »

Not that there's a complete list of business targets.
Here's your list btw
https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/a-list-of-the-buildings-damaged-looted-in-minneapolis-riots
Looks like mainly big business chains got torched, with a few smaller shops set fire, and then just spillover vandalism. Unfortunate spillover, but it really does look like the big chains took the most... Spicy vandalism.

Also, hopefully insurance will help the community businesses back up. Not familiar with business insurance tho.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #37049 on: May 28, 2020, 06:06:38 pm »

On one hand, attacking section 230 of the Commications Decency Act and requiring platforms to be responsible for what people on those platforms say is a huge move and could radically reshape the internet as we know it if they're allowed to act on it without legal challenge.

On the other hand, this just puts more onus on social media companies to police their own content, which seems like the opposite of what Trump wants, so...
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 2468 2469 [2470] 2471 2472 ... 3516