Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1699 1700 [1701] 1702 1703 ... 3518

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3677954 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25500 on: November 12, 2018, 03:24:53 am »

And, additionally... Who even owns Mars? That's a political nightmare waiting to happen, even handwaving all the staggeringly yuge logistics of just getting personnel up there and back.

As for colonization, hoo... It's fun, certainly, but it is by no means a solution to Earth overpopulation. We can try building biodomes in the more inhospitable parts of Earth before trying to build biodomes on Mars, just so we know what we're doing first...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25501 on: November 12, 2018, 06:23:04 am »

(As much as I'm in to finding new baskets for all the existing eggs to be redistributed to, prior to anything approaching the theoretical ease of space-elevators, we're not going to reduce Earth's population by popping a significant proportion of it onto the top of rockets and suffer more problems from the attempt. That and the problem of selecting those destined to go or not. Do we specifically send the dregs, or purposefully leave them behind, etc?)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25502 on: November 12, 2018, 08:02:05 am »

We don't send anyone to Mars. We genetically engineer humans that can better survive on the planet (with the differing gravity and such) and then vat-grow those ones in orbit before sending them down to become the first Martians.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25503 on: November 12, 2018, 08:26:32 am »

I like Josh's plan.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25504 on: November 12, 2018, 08:32:01 am »

So do I, if only because it pushes back colonizing Mars for generations and in so doing makes budgeting easier.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25505 on: November 12, 2018, 08:50:34 am »

We don't send anyone to Mars. We genetically engineer humans that can better survive on the planet (with the differing gravity and such) and then vat-grow those ones in orbit before sending them down to become the first Martians.

But... why though?... what is the motivation and benefit for this?  For anyone, including the genetically engineered Martians?  Other than some abstract notion of an imperative to ensure the survival of the species by any means?  And how sincerely is that accomplished when the method involves a complete severance of continuity in terms of historical, cultural, and even biological context from their earthen origins?  I'm not saying necessarily that I'm against doing it.  Whether it's a bad thing to do is another question.  I'm wondering what problem does this approach hope to solve?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25506 on: November 12, 2018, 09:25:12 am »

>survival is an abstract imperative

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25507 on: November 12, 2018, 09:39:00 am »

Imperatives are intrinsically abstract! Nothing bad happens if you don't survive. You don't get a GAME OVER screen or anything.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25508 on: November 12, 2018, 09:50:24 am »

But... why though?... what is the motivation and benefit for this?  For anyone, including the genetically engineered Martians?  Other than some abstract notion of an imperative to ensure the survival of the species by any means?  And how sincerely is that accomplished when the method involves a complete severance of continuity in terms of historical, cultural, and even biological context from their earthen origins?  I'm not saying necessarily that I'm against doing it.  Whether it's a bad thing to do is another question.  I'm wondering what problem does this approach hope to solve?

I just think that interplanetary and far space travel is pretty impossible as a species unless you're optimizing the actual travelers to survive it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25509 on: November 12, 2018, 09:50:45 am »

Imperatives are intrinsically abstract! Nothing bad happens if you don't survive. You don't get a GAME OVER screen or anything.
Somehow this defence does not work when I try to justify causing the extinction of penguins; people seem to not understand that survival is abstract and everything must die to my Shadow the Edgehog OC

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25510 on: November 12, 2018, 09:54:15 am »

I just think that interplanetary and far space travel is pretty impossible as a species unless you're optimizing the actual travelers to survive it.

Optimizing the travelers is also "pretty impossible" at present.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25511 on: November 12, 2018, 09:55:27 am »

I feel like the unknowable oblivion of death could be considered a game over screen.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25512 on: November 12, 2018, 09:55:57 am »

Optimizing the travelers is also "pretty impossible" at present.

at present.

Genetic engineering is a nearer and more realistic goal than Mars colonization, so I think it'd be wise to assume we achieve the former before the latter and plan accordingly.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25513 on: November 12, 2018, 09:57:09 am »

Survival of the species, specifically, is quite abstract, both in its definitions and motivations.

I have a direct relationship with the world and its inhabitants today, and it's easy to extend that to a concern for the well-being of people even several generations from now.  And humanity reaching great heights in the distant future is a nice daydreaming subject.

But the indefinite survival of the species... where does the personal investment originate to care that humanity never ends?  And how far are you willing to extend your definition of humanity before that investment no longer holds?  Is it strictly our DNA?  Is that all we care about?  Or are there elements of the human experience that we want to preserve?  And could going to extremes in the name of surivival undermine that?  Does a continuity to development of humanity's sense of heritage and history and cultural evolution matter?  Or is it all well and good if we fire off a seed pod to some distant earth-like planet, so that human beings with zero knowledge of where they came from live there?  Just so we can feel safe in the knowledge that if earth gets wiped out, at least there will be living beings somewhere else with human DNA in them?

Yeah, it's a pretty abstract imperative to me.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25514 on: November 12, 2018, 10:02:27 am »

Survival of the species, specifically, is quite abstract, both in its definitions and motivations.

I have a direct relationship with the world and its inhabitants today, and it's easy to extend that to a concern for the well-being of people even several generations from now.  And humanity reaching great heights in the distant future is a nice daydreaming subject.

But the indefinite survival of the species... where does the personal investment originate to care that humanity never ends?  And how far are you willing to extend your definition of humanity before that investment no longer holds?  Is it strictly our DNA?  Is that all we care about?  Or are there elements of the human experience that we want to preserve?  And could going to extremes in the name of surivival undermine that?  Does a continuity to development of humanity's sense of heritage and history and cultural evolution matter?  Or is it all well and good if we fire off a seed pod to some distant earth-like planet, so that human beings with zero knowledge of where they came from live there?  Just so we can feel safe in the knowledge that if earth gets wiped out, at least there will be living beings somewhere else with human DNA in them?

Yeah, it's a pretty abstract imperative to me.

If Fermi's Paradox is anything to look at, I think it's safe to assume we're approaching the "Great Filter" and that at this point we're in a battle against total annihilation. A war on entropy that we're probably destined to lose, but we can prolong the existence of intelligent life, or at the very least any life at all.
Pages: 1 ... 1699 1700 [1701] 1702 1703 ... 3518