Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 399

Author Topic: Terrible Suggestions Thread  (Read 486321 times)

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible Suggestions Thread
« Reply #2655 on: December 14, 2020, 04:49:48 am »

New type of visitors. Traveling merchants. They sell overpriced artifact cleaning wands made by their guild. Instead of just selling them to your dwarves they approach your mayor/baron/etc. and initiate diplomacy screen. You can refuse but in that case they'll just wait for couple of days and start it all over. The only ways to get rid of them is to either buy or beat/kill them.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: December 14, 2020, 05:27:40 am »

New type of visitors. Traveling merchants. They sell overpriced artifact cleaning wands made by their guild. Instead of just selling them to your dwarves they approach your mayor/baron/etc. and initiate diplomacy screen. You can refuse but in that case they'll just wait for couple of days and start it all over. The only ways to get rid of them is to either buy or beat/kill them.
Now all visitors do this including the villains with their poorly thought out plans, and along with them bugging the mayor constantly asking to be allowed to talk to your dwarves and use the tavern they also constantly spam you with demands for all of your artifacts.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: December 14, 2020, 06:47:04 am »

DF is advertised with inane statements like "If you can reach level 3, you are legally skilled", along with a mobile game that is nothing like DF. In some ads, DF is advertised as a choose-your-own-adventure game, with situations like "If I betray my boss, I'll get killed!", along with the choices "Murder Boss" and "Seduce Boss".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDmUeqpTS7k

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: December 14, 2020, 08:46:49 am »

Mergedwarves

Mergefortresses!

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: December 14, 2020, 04:22:17 pm »

Before every game begins, an intro is shown to the player.
It's on black backround, with ASCII characters representing stars.
The title "DWARF FORTRESS" in big yellow letters scroll up (since there's no notion of perspective in ASCII), and eventually the randomlu generated "Stories of X and Y" show up afterwards with huge amounts of texts.
The texts in question talk about the dwarven civ selected by the player. Their allies, their struggles, and their current war with the goblins.
Could mention knights with strange powers, dark lords and dark armor, empires, and something about trade deals.
Music by Shorast McWilliams.
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: December 14, 2020, 08:36:19 pm »

You know that actually wouldn't be a bad idea for a presentation of myth gen later on. Not necessarily blatantly starwars-esque, but showing the mythological events/figures as they occur, maybe with the option for the player to intervene at certain points. Then move on to physical world gen
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: December 15, 2020, 05:00:40 am »

Yeah, "starwars intro" doesn't seem like the worst way to introduce the world's story to the player. Provided that the game can figure out which snippets are interesting enough to show, at least. :v
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: December 15, 2020, 07:08:41 am »

"The taxation of trade routes to outlying sites is in dispute. Hoping to resolve the matter with a blockade of deadly goblins, the greedy Trade Federation has stopped all shipping to the small fortress of Naboo."
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: December 15, 2020, 07:14:03 am »

You know that actually wouldn't be a bad idea for a presentation of myth gen later on. Not necessarily blatantly starwars-esque, but showing the mythological events/figures as they occur, maybe with the option for the player to intervene at certain points. Then move on to physical world gen
On a serious note, there's a huge problem with the way DF handles location names and story telling. In the sense that the way it tells the story of each nation/event is quite whack. I wouldn't be expecting a robot to make his own Lord of the Rings by any means, but really, there needs to be something done with the writing. Granted, it gives the game it charms and rewards players for being curious about the universe they generated. But at the same time, it's just... Well...

In the summer of 683, The Abbey of Destruction sent several squads to the Joy of Murder.
In the summer of 683, The Abbey of Destruction sent several squads to the Joy of Murder.
In the autumn of 683, The Abbey of Destruction sent several squads to the Joy of Murder.
In the autumn 683, The Abbey of Destruction sent several squads to the Joy of Murder.
In the winter of 683, The Abbey of Destruction sent several squads to the Joy of Murder.
In the spring of 684, The Joy of Murder was annexed by The Abbey of Destruction.

I can understand why people don't read the history of their world, it can be tedious, repetitive, and most of the names are very confusing. In history, we name events accordingly and give cities very easy-to-remember names; London, Paris, Berlin, Moscow... DF sort of does the same thing, with fortress names like FireGold, TwinFalls, LuckyWheel, that sort of thing. But its usually the names of the fortress the player generates. Not entire civs.

But anyway, writing wise, the game should just talk of such events in the following way;
During the summer of 683, King Dodak the Third sent multiple squads to the goblin fortress of the Joy of Murder. The reason being that the fortress was a former dwarven economical center and a large forge formerly belonging to the TwinFalls, a dwarven barony. The siege is among the longest ever recorded in history, and lasted almost a year. The squads were mostly composed of marksdwarves and hammer masters, due to the fact that the Joy of Murder's militias were mostly composed of goblins poorly equiped, usually wielding short weapons. However, the Laughing Drake, the civilization in charge of holding the Joy of Murder, sent reinforcement to the fortress immediatly, thus longing the siege even more. After a decisive battle in the spring of 684, the Joy of Murder was claimed by the dwarven forces of The Abbey of Destruction, and later renamed SweetVictory by King Dodak the Third.

Well I dunno if this is better, but at least it doesn't require you to understand the conflict by looking through 13 different screens.
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: December 15, 2020, 08:06:14 am »

Maybe at some point Toady should take some time out from developing one of the main arks and work on just improving Legends mode.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: December 15, 2020, 09:29:02 am »

It would be easy to compress all the similar events into a coherent pharagrah.

The Abbey of Destruction sent several squads to the Joy of Murder from the summer of 683 to the spring of 684, when it was finally conquered and renamed to SweetVictory

And then if you actually want to delve into it you can and a more comprehensive description like King Z says comes up.

One could even categorize it in:

The X war among The Abbey of Destruction and The Laughing Drake.

Then inside you find things like: The second Siege of Joy of Murder/SweetVictory.

Then inside King Z text.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 09:35:14 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: December 16, 2020, 02:47:21 am »

Two words:  earthworm men.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: December 16, 2020, 03:13:17 am »

dwarves now keep fish as pets, requiring all the acoutrements of the aquarium hobby.
-glass tanks of multiple sizes
-lighting
-heating
-filtration
-cycling
additionally, dwarves will continue to demand larger quarters to fit more tanks, occupy the liaison's time bartering for rare fish, get a bad thought if the fish gets sick or dies, give all the fish really dumb names, get into heated arguments with other dwarves about food(?), and become fascinated with long fish and weird catfish. Mostly freshwater eels and plecos.
This behavior may expand to include keeping other kinds of vermin.
basically it turns your fort into the fishkeeping discord i'm in
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 03:17:00 am by nezclaw »
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: December 16, 2020, 03:18:33 am »

Yeah, "starwars intro" doesn't seem like the worst way to introduce the world's story to the player. Provided that the game can figure out which snippets are interesting enough to show, at least. :v
In 3, Urist was present in The Halls of Shambling.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: December 16, 2020, 03:19:32 am »

Earworm men, imagine a bunch of those showing up and trying to get into your dwarves heads and eat their brains.....       Oh wait dwarves don't have brains so I guess the earworm men would just starve.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 399