Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 525382 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #255 on: January 16, 2017, 05:18:43 pm »

It appears that my services are needed now more than ever.

Today, my compatriots, the final war against death and blood begins. Today, we stand together to battle these forces of vileness. Today, we stand for life; and today, I have created it. Behold: Aceiro Grey, the first automaton! A forumite like you or I, but with no blood in his bronze veins, nor any death awaiting him! With him, and those like him, we shall stand against the forces of evil, and we shall conquer DEATH ITSELF!

Yes, I would like to register a second character, Aciero Grey. He is a robot. Have him be in the military.
Please? I don't know if this is allowed or not, but really, I want this to happen.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:37:41 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 16, 2017, 05:21:22 pm »

Fairly certain it is allowed, but my time with the save is up - you'll have to petition the Destroyer of Forts, Sprin :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 16, 2017, 05:22:00 pm »

Mechadorfs and other robots sounds like something for modding in. Maybe a metal version of a forumite that can be built with a reaction?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:23:32 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 16, 2017, 05:25:38 pm »

A Forumech
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 16, 2017, 05:36:50 pm »

I support this notion as long as there is a hard cap to forumechs and are made in a way that you can't spam them. Maybe different versions for different tasks like the militar?
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 16, 2017, 05:39:54 pm »

I'm not sure how this works, I've just heard of people making creatures with reactions before. I think the limit could be based on requiring a lot of steel or other rare metals to produce a forumech.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 16, 2017, 06:31:42 pm »

I am so happy to have gotten this idea started. As you can see, everyone has at least a little spark...
Or at least, everyone on these forums does.

:D

EDIT: Also, Aceiro means steel in... um, Galician. I'm not actually sure what language that is, or where it's from, but hey, it's on Google Translate. And I will almost always be spelling it aciero, as I tend to think of it being pronounced "a-see-air-oh", which is almost certainly NOT how it is pronounced. If anything, it would probably be pronounced "a-say-row", but... yeah, I have no idea.

EDIT2: But Aciero is made of an amalgamation of metals, up to and including raw ("cold") iron for the weaponry.

EDIT3: It would probably also make sense for it to take far more work to change the equipment on a forumech, and would take them out of action for a while, with the potential to be damaged in the process if not aided by someone skilled in a related skill, such as a weapon- or armor-smith. (I tend to imagine that their armor and weaponry are part of their bodies, just like our skin and limbs.)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:41:59 pm by Glass »

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 16, 2017, 08:58:05 pm »

You know what? I'm going to sign up for a turn, since Spearbreakers II died. Keep in mind I decided to not play any more DF until I got a turn in a  succession fortress when I signed up for Spearbreakers II last year- I should be delicious mix of almost competent and completely ignorant by the time it gets to my turn.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 16, 2017, 11:23:37 pm »

I'm at the same time interested in what Sprin will spin for us, and terrified of what horrors he'll release.  This is my friendly reminder as well to install the damn mod.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 17, 2017, 10:39:21 am »

EDIT: Also, Aceiro means steel in... um, Galician. I'm not actually sure what language that is, or where it's from, but hey, it's on Google Translate. And I will almost always be spelling it aciero, as I tend to think of it being pronounced "a-see-air-oh", which is almost certainly NOT how it is pronounced. If anything, it would probably be pronounced "a-say-row", but... yeah, I have no idea.
Galicia is the northwestern part of spain, bordering the north of Portugal.

I'm guessing it's prounounced A-chai-ro

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2017, 12:17:07 pm »

There once was a forumite, a boy like any other.  He had something of an unfortunate name however.  He was named for magitech runes of power, but children know little of such things and they thought only of clever ways to transform his name into words of torment.  A particular group of girls who lived nearby fixated upon this for a number of years as a running joke.  Telling the "rünt" to "rün" away is one of many phrases they developed.  Rühn found that the best way to avoid their attention was to pass by without notice.  He also had to avoid the gathering places they were likely to be.

Once old enough Rühn took up hunting as a hobby, it let him spend time away from others and still do something useful.  He would sometimes cross paths with other hunters who would recount hunts and spin tales of days long past as they sat around the campfire under the stars.  One such story supposedly from the second book of Necrothreat was about Momuz.  She was a master hunter crossbow forumite in the days of old, but never received the attention or won the same glory as Sulin or Solon.  Even though she was but an obscure character with few facts or details Rühn identified with this forumitess and thought she would have been someone worthy of friendship.

--
Diary of Rühn
Hematite 26
No sooner had I arrived than some forumite pulled me aside and awarded me a position in the armed forces.  I was skeptical at first, but then a group of forumitesses soon found me and said I was to lead them.  I suppose that he must have some authority after all?  Without even having time to unpack my things I was put to work.  They were sending me out here to be sure that there was adequate food stocks, but perhaps not everything is as it seems.  I should have been more cautious, this forum is known to be a place to research the old Necrothreat.  Perhaps I was wrong to assume this remote location would be peaceful.

Hematite 27
I still haven't decided if they are playing a trick on me.  They are taking my instruction seriously it seems, although for some reason my trainees often burst out into giggles or laughter.  I can't understand what it is they are laughing about, but it doesn't seem to be directed at me personally at least.  I'll tolerate this for a while.  I got a chance to speak with the overseer "Diggy" about our equipment needs and he assured me that I am indeed in charge of these women.

Limestone 13
I was bringing things to the trading depot and came across an encounter between Diggy and the merchants.  He gave a grand speech of the old Necrothreat and it sparked in me the memory of old deeds of glory.  I feel a new purpose here; it was no mistake that I was sent.  These forumites need me.  My squad needs me.  Hell, the squad is named after me.  We will make ready.  Even if it is Ur himself, we will fight.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:07:22 pm by Ruhn »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2017, 01:25:31 pm »

I was looking at reactions. I don't think we can create forumechs wholesale from inanimate material at workshops without DFhack, but it might be possible to transform a living creature.

Alternatively, we could make forumechs a trainable "pet" creature, and then they could be bought. It could also be possible to see the forumechs in other races armies.

Maybe we could say that Quill's first forumech has been replicated repeatedly. Ultimately though, I don't think we can insert a whole new creature now without regenerating the world unless we overwrite an existing creature. Maybe we could overwrite some obscure bird or something and change it to a real creature whenever Necrothreat V starts. Even then it might not work as expected.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:31:06 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 17, 2017, 01:41:33 pm »

How about a necromancy-type reaction? It could require a corpse and materials; maybe do something along the lines of Robocop. It could be something like, "we'll take the brain out of the body and then put it into this robotic body so it can be a Forumech".

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 17, 2017, 02:23:21 pm »

Most big changes can't be seen until a new regen of the world (aka Necrothreat V). Still, it's a nice addition.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 17, 2017, 02:24:16 pm »

The "Robocop" method might work, but the result wouldn't be controllable. It shouldn't be actively hostile, but I don't think it would take orders either.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:26:23 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 202