Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7769 7770 [7771] 7772 7773 ... 8158

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8846558 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #116550 on: September 03, 2019, 11:41:38 am »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116551 on: September 03, 2019, 12:37:24 pm »

No! No it's- it's little, jus- not that one, it's...
I don’t know what this was from but it was funny
Black Books! Legendary British comedy series, you can actually watch it online either on YouTube or with ads on Channel4.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116552 on: September 03, 2019, 01:38:41 pm »

Reducing population isn't hard.

Hell, one could contribute today by removing themselves.

I see this tendered a lot.  Tell me:  If I wanted to leave the US, and its enforced restrictions on contributing to the monster that it is-- how easy is it to do that?

What's that? They wont let you?  If you try to actually euthanize yourself you get locked up?

Fancy fucking that.

Perhaps rhetorical bullshit isn't the answer after all.  If I was *ALLOWED* to go live in a mud hut, I would have done so YEARS ago.

I don't think that was the suggestion.

3) We could do with less people really. IIRC it's estimated the maximum sustainable human population is 2 billion. If that's right, then we really need major population contraction or we're going to burn through every resource.

Okay, who's the 2 billion worthy of our resources, then?

That sounds like a problem Thunderdome can solve.

I am sad seeing hate towards Catholic church every single day... Because they only have need of spitting on someone. Saying that every Catholic is a child molester and other dumb bullshit. Because it's not fault of the individuals, it's fault of the Church! Let's point at them and make them the bad ones for every crime someone does. No human's perfect.

Heh, I can say every non-Catholic is bad because there are rapists, robbers and killers among them, but I don't, because it's bullshit. Where's some reasoning?

I don't mind if someone's atheist, or Muslim, whatever. Why can't we just live among each other in peace? It's just sad.

At least you Bay Watchers are fine guys. They might view us as escaped lunatics, what do they know. Thanks for nice co-living   ;).

Not all Catholics molest children, but financially supporting known child molesters and an organization that protects them isn't a great look.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116553 on: September 03, 2019, 11:03:25 pm »

Yeah, it's horrible. Corrupted, rotten network in the church of molesters. I am not surprised bishops tried to hide the truth in order to protect the subject, but it's sure a bad thing, and they should've punished them in the first place, not be waiting what'll happen. Pope's doing something about it, but yeah, it's too late, sadly.

That wasn't really my issue, though. You guys have logical arguments and reasoning, you see what's bad and want to change it. I am outraged by those who spit on us for fun, without actual reason, because they are majority, they're safe.

That's another thing, we know there's great evil "somewhere" in the world. And many people judge the rest of the world, because of fraction. I attend masses every day, I am preparing to enter a monastic order, and we're living just fine. People aren't looking too much around themselves.

That's another thing that made me sad, one of the priests of this convent died recently and had funeral this Monday. Even though I'm not in the order yet, he was like brother to me  :'(.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116554 on: September 04, 2019, 08:33:15 am »

Recursive sad: posting on the sad thread makes me sad. This is just a hypothesis, but making such a plaintive gesture (as a sad post is) just reinforces what I'm saying to myself, and so I just wallow in it and it's a downward spiral. I often delete my posts because of this, but also cause I feel the post is a veiled petition for attention, which contradicts the rule that you shouldn't feed a starved and desperate animal; or because I realize I've succumbed to an emotional 'crisis' that was in fact something petty and temporary, and so I feel like a little bitch and I have to delete my post to save myself from feeling more shame about it.

Noone is looking for an apology, but I apologize. The kind of posts I make are always asking for help, but the inherent self-centeredness makes helping actually impossible, as the posts themselves aggravate the problems that the posts are about in the first place; and the actual remedy would be to bite my life and bear it, focus on myself, address the underlying problems without screaming about them, and I'd remedy myself without causing a big stink.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #116555 on: September 04, 2019, 08:47:43 am »

Ah, "just not being sad" would indeed be an ideal solution. It is unfortunately not usually an option!
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116556 on: September 04, 2019, 08:56:33 am »

I mean more in the vein of "Accepting that all my emotions are a temporary condition so I shouldn't fret too much over any single sadness, trusting that it will pass over me, and then I can enjoy the time afterwards knowing I didn't publicly disembowel myself in a futile attempt to fix a problem that was ultimately out of my hands and time was going to fix anyway."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116557 on: September 04, 2019, 09:02:27 am »

Well, we really have never had any issues with your posts. So please, don't delete them.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116558 on: September 04, 2019, 11:11:08 am »

Truth. If it helps to phrase yours posts that way to process your emotions, please do so. This is the place to vent without judgement after all.

I got passed over for a full-time position I was already doing for a year and a half as "temp" (They literally changed the rules to keep me working) and helped set up so that there was actually structure involved.

Thanks to this, my life is essentially on-hold as I apply around for other full-time actual work.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116559 on: September 04, 2019, 12:10:29 pm »

Got passed on a job here as well. Paraphrased, of course:

"We liked your technical stuff. We weren't sure if you'd be a culture fit, however, as you didn't properly answer the culture questions that we didn't ask." They also told me about three times "you're quiet, but that's not necessarily a bad thing". On the plus side, that's literally the only place I've interviewed that's offered feedback.

I'm counting that as a bullet dodged.

Meanwhile I'm just wasting time at my current job. I'm fine with support duty in theory. In practice at this company, however, not so much. The rest of the dev team is four hours offset from myself so they're not much help. I've been kept in my box until now so I've got precisely zero plus a smidge knowledge on how other things work together. And the dev team doesn't think playbooks hold any value so everyone retreads the same ground every time an identical issue crops up, fucking around in TeamViewer sifting through log files until their accumulated product knowledge that I don't have and can't ask about because they're all in the same building and can just go ask one another points out the obvious solution.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 12:12:26 pm by Mephisto »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116560 on: September 04, 2019, 10:59:07 pm »

On a vaguely related but more depressing subject, the company I work for is experiencing major pains because of a database outage caused by a simple mistake by the dev team (not me, fortunately).  I spent 6 hours last night working with our system architect, trying to piece Humpty Dumpty back together, at which point we finally got it stable enough to go to bed.

I didn't realize at the time that that was the last time I'd talk to him.

Today, when I got up, I went to work expecting a fecal storm of legendary proportions.  And I got one.  I spent all day on conference calls with the higher ups trying to work out a plan to fix everything using cached copies of data scattered across 280 other servers.  I kept waiting for the architect to get on, and people were getting antsy and mad that he was dodging them.  It wouldn't be the first time, but he has terrible sleeping habits so I just brushed it off.

But time wore on, and the system architect wasn't averse to missing sleep because of a massive outage.  I got more worried as 2 PM rolled around and he still wasn't around.

Then the president pulled me aside and told me that the architect's parents found him dead this morning in his home, probably from a heart attack.  He'd known the guy for 18 years, and I'd known him for 10.  We worked together closely for that time, and it's no exaggeration to say that the company's technical infrastructure was built by him.  No single monkey runs the show, but he came as close as anyone could.

So, now the company is going to have to pick up the pieces of this data loss without him, and on top we're going to have to figure out how to reverse engineer everything he built and never documented or explained to anyone.

He was a recluse and worked almost exclusively from home, so we've been worried this would happen for a while.  He's had one heart attack before, but that happened in the office so some literal boyscouts performed CPR until EMS arrived, and he recovered from that.

He didn't really have much in the way of friends, but we were on very good terms at work, and I think I'm one of the few people he really trusted with a lot of technical things.

The worst part though, is that I'll never forget that I was the last one who talked to him.  And during that call, he mentioned that he "Must be getting old because I'd normally be at my prime at midnight but can barely go" and that he had to take a break at one point because of stabbing pain in his side.  I brushed it off since he's had back problems, and it was a stressful night.  But when I mentioned I was having tension pains too, he joked, "This is going to kill both of us, isn't it?"

He had no idea.

I had no idea.

The guy who caused the outage is handling it much less well though, since he blames himself for keeping him up late and working on the problem...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116561 on: September 05, 2019, 05:33:53 am »

The things I've been doing to distract myself from feel-bads (lately, watching Netflix, for the most part) seem to be becoming less effective.
Probably because I've been doing too much of them. Now I'm on season two of the show I'm currently quite invested in emotionally, and apparently there is no season three.
I'm sure running out of show to watch will be quite an emotional blow, but it's as though it's been struck already. I think it may be mostly because the ambience in my TV-watching lair has been spoiled by outside factors.

In other news, I am saddened by the loss of the Mild Sad thread, since this would probably fit better there, considering the magnitude of this thread's recent Sads.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116562 on: September 05, 2019, 08:31:40 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:22:26 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #116563 on: September 05, 2019, 09:56:29 am »

I can't get over it D:
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116564 on: September 05, 2019, 09:58:53 am »

Sure you can. Humans are very adaptable.
Pages: 1 ... 7769 7770 [7771] 7772 7773 ... 8158