Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9370 9371 [9372] 9373 9374 ... 10993

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13519171 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #140565 on: November 28, 2018, 03:07:02 pm »

Was watching videos of a liberal comedian on YT, and was faced with a 5 and a half minute long ad (that I could’ve skipped but I wanted to see) of some nutter saying there’s a war on saying the word Christmas by the left in Europe and America when referring to vacations and parties and he’s a Jew and he doesn’t mind being wished a merry Christmas and these mad people on the left are eventually going to ban Christmas as a holiday and all this because of inclusivity but yeah mate they’re not being inclusive all those Christmas songs were written by Jews and he feels like if someone wishes him happy holidays and he responds with merry Christmas he’s created tension, in fact he feels like he’s being excluded from something he doesn’t actually celebrate because it’s important to how country.

Like... he spent literally the entire video talking very calmly about that as though he was being reasonable. I... guess this is a symptom of the divisiveness in America or... something? Are there really enough people who believe that the left is trying to ban Christmas that this guy (who is, according to a quick Google, some type of radio host) feels he can increase his listenership by spouting this nonsense?

I mean it’s a wtf that it exists, and a wtf that it played before watching a very liberal comedian’s video.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140566 on: November 28, 2018, 03:21:40 pm »

There is a terrifying amount of it, and it's not just in the states either. Plenty of completely baseless propaganda going around here in Norway that just gets propagated and kicked off even more.

I've seen otherwise agreeable, reasonable people spread stuff like "Children should be allowed to sing Glade Jul (Norwegian version of Silent Night)! SHARE IF YOU AGREE!"

It's... Nobody, absolutely nobody is stopping anyone from singing Christmas songs. Not even in October, when they really should. It's a complete non-issue. A vicious, tooth-and-nails fight against a boogeyman that simply doesn't exist.

Just like the old anti-muslim sentiments from years back about how middle-eastern immigrants had manipulated the government and were in the process of renaming the capital from "Oslo" to "New Mecca", and that they were going to change the flag from a cross (technically a sword, but whatever) to a crescent moon.

Completely unfounded, amazingly flammable. I even happened across a Muslim message board where a bunch of users were discussing the case, and nobody understood where the fuck the idea had come from. Most posters also said that they either didn't care at all about the flag, or that they just looked beyond the cruciform image and appreciated it for the nation it represented. A lot of patriotism, which, y'know, is actually fairly common with 1st and 2nd generation immigrants...

It's just exhaust from the hate machine.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140567 on: November 28, 2018, 04:52:53 pm »

Prob the most famous/cliche'd example is that Starbucks Christmas Cup thing.

Literally noone had any idea what it was about or what the problem was, only that it was wrong and we needed to be angry about it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #140568 on: November 28, 2018, 05:03:50 pm »

It bothers me to no end to hear grown ass men, who make more money than me I might add, talk about 'facebook friends' and the diplomacy of facebook and ignores.  Like it's a serious  business how you maintain a facebook profile.  I have 131 friends on FB, and I knew/know each one personally at one point in time.  And Ive deleted/been deleted from many people.

Disgusting.  But a sign of the times.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #140569 on: November 28, 2018, 05:22:59 pm »

Makes me think of how I turn off retweets on Twitter a lot because I just want the artist's content and not all the emotional, reactive, sometimes political stuff. I don't mind that kind of discussion once in a while, between people who know each other and/or calmly conduct themselves where the nuances of one another's opinions can be understood best, but something about making your opinions so widely available with so little context attached really puts me off, and even if I partly agree with them the way they present their opinion is often so vitriolic or dismissive that it's difficult to want to understand their position and I just avoid it instead.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 05:25:21 pm by Parsely »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140570 on: November 28, 2018, 05:52:39 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:13:22 pm by dragdeler »
let

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140571 on: November 28, 2018, 06:49:41 pm »

There is nothing inherently ethical or unethical about the consumption of meat.
...You're saying there's nothing inherently unethical about enslaving an entire friggin' species for use as food products? ???   
Just think about it a moment. Ponder what that means. I know it feels a bit unnatural to even consider the wrongness of that, since we've been taught for so many generations to think of it as perfectly normal, but yeah. It's like any of the hundreds of cheesy alien-invasion movies where the extraterrestrials enslave humanity, except we're the bad guys, and the shit the aliens get up to in those movies is rarely if ever as nasty as what we do IRL.     

Okay, uhm, additional WTF (in addition to my WTF at the quoted post, that is)... um... oh! I just ate a freakin' slice of toast with mustard for breakfast, since I keep forgetting to buy Vegemite. At least I added some nooch to make it a bit more nourishing.
I guess I could whip up some pasta, but I'm lazy and I dunno if I'd have enough time to do so before I have to go do stuff in a bit over an hour.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140572 on: November 28, 2018, 07:02:46 pm »

I eat meat, but I still think it would be more ethical if I didn't.  I'm just kinda a shit person is all.

Can't wait for that lab-grown beef though.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140573 on: November 28, 2018, 07:06:01 pm »

That also is super cool to me. I want science beef.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #140574 on: November 28, 2018, 07:07:09 pm »

You've got beef with science???
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140575 on: November 28, 2018, 07:20:04 pm »

I tried to pork a scientist once. The closest I got was seafood.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #140576 on: November 28, 2018, 07:23:03 pm »

...You're saying there's nothing inherently unethical about enslaving an entire friggin' species for use as food products? ??? 
Are wild fowl, boars & cattle the plucky resistance in this analogy

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140577 on: November 28, 2018, 07:37:48 pm »

Maybe science can replace it with meat.

You should ask.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #140578 on: November 28, 2018, 07:56:02 pm »

There is nothing inherently ethical or unethical about the consumption of meat.
Eh. If you're going that route eating anything period is also massively unethical. Murdering and eating random members of a species isn't exactly what you'd call some great improvement.

N'that's not getting into the whole issue with non-animals being species, too. You're not going to manage ethical consumption if you're expanding your ethical consideration much beyond humans, if that. There's still plenty of reason to oppose many of our farming (and general animal treatment, really) practices, but the only way you're going to avoid being the bad guy extraterrestrials is suicide.

That would unfortunately be true pretty much regardless of what we were, physiology wise. Plants probably come closest but even they're pretty messed up if you stop to think much about how they go about propagating and surviving, and what it entails for stuff around them. Just generally slower.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140579 on: November 28, 2018, 08:03:53 pm »

I'm not entirely sure what point you're arguing, here. Do you mean hunting "isn't exactly what you'd call some great improvement" over farming?   
If so, I agree. But at least the hunted creatures presumably lived their lives, free, in their natural habitat beforehand - just look at whaling and the huge outcry about it, which is really kind of ridiculous when you consider half the people protesting it probably go home and tuck into a ham sandwich or some shit.

No idea what your second paragraph is trying to say.
The Earth is overpopulated to the point of being pretty much unsustainable? I don't think anyone would seriously argue against that.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 9370 9371 [9372] 9373 9374 ... 10993