Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254288 times)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #10800 on: October 16, 2013, 11:13:48 am »

Eater of Worlds drops the thing that makes asphalt. Solidifier makes slime blocks, EoW drops the other one.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10801 on: October 16, 2013, 11:20:02 am »

Well.. yeah, I can't remember what the other thing is called.

In unrelated news. I have just discovered the absolute best thing you can do with spare bars of metal you have laying around after you've gone beyond gold/platinum tier.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10802 on: October 16, 2013, 11:27:41 am »

Yeah, and they work like platforms with a space in the middle. They make for great staircases.
On the hardmode server there's a fuckhuge tower of copper and chlorophyte. It's neat.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10803 on: October 16, 2013, 11:32:38 am »

PTW. Just bought Terraria and having loads of fun with it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10804 on: October 16, 2013, 12:31:01 pm »

Oops, I seemed to have accidentally binged on Terraria for 13 hours straight.

But hey, I beat my first Mechanical Boss, the Destroyer, by cheesing him through an elevated encased arena. The other two mecha bosses still annihilate me. I tried fighting Plantera but I stood no chance.

I also got, through sheer accident while farming for light souls, a frozen chest key! I immediately beset the dungeon, trying to remember where the thing was, and found it and now have an Ice Hydra staff!  It basically allows me to put down an instant, high damage, stationary turret on a moment's notice whenever I need to!

I can cast him right through walls too, so whenever I'm like in the jungle, and I'm cornered into a room by like a dozen baddies with low health, I can just plant him straight in the throng of them and just watch and they get mopped up in no time. For 20 mana a pop, he lasts a long time too, like a whole minute, and monsters don't target him at all so he just sits there and fires until everything is dead. He's my new best friend, truly.

I'm trying to upgrade from Frost Armor to Chlorophyte, but I'm thinking I'm gonna have to contract the aid of my friends if I want to actually beat any of the bosses. Even with mad amounts of defense, I can still see these things tearing me apart.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10805 on: October 16, 2013, 01:54:07 pm »

I BEAT THE DESTROYER! I'M SO HAPPY!

Quick question-
Shroomite or turtle armor?
Turtle.
Shroomite is better for Multiplayer when playing a supporting role.  A tacshot + chloro bullets or a megashark + explosive bullets when using Shroomite will do a lot of damage.  The trick is to stay still so that you're not getting aggro and you are getting more damage.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10806 on: October 16, 2013, 01:57:36 pm »

You could do both and quick-equip either set by right-clicking in the inventory...

Alternatively, wear one and keep another in the vanity slots. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10807 on: October 16, 2013, 02:02:52 pm »

Turtle.  The thorns ability is surprisingly useful, particularly against bosses, and it has the highest armor rating of anything in the game.  It's slightly slower than some of the other melee armors, but it still provides a very decent damage boost.

Plus...  Hate to say it, but melee is just better than ranged in this version.  Alternatively, take on frost armor.  But if you're figuring out what to do with your first few chlorophyte bars, yeah...  Turtle is the way to go.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10808 on: October 16, 2013, 02:05:35 pm »

Though the real answer, of course, is to go farm that dungeon. Even nerfed, spectre armor is pretty ridiculous, and the dungeon has several of the best magic drops currently in the game.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10809 on: October 16, 2013, 02:10:06 pm »

Though the real answer, of course, is to go farm that dungeon. Even nerfed, spectre armor is pretty ridiculous, and the dungeon has several of the best magic drops currently in the game.
Spectre and Rainbow will shred Destroyer.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10810 on: October 16, 2013, 02:14:23 pm »

Yeah, so I bought Terraria about two days before the sale. But anyway, any general tips on getting started in game, finding bosses and such?

(For reference, I'm about iron/silver tier mineral-wise)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10811 on: October 16, 2013, 02:33:19 pm »

Yeah, so I bought Terraria about two days before the sale. But anyway, any general tips on getting started in game, finding bosses and such?

Before bosses you should do spelunking (exploring various caverns and going to the depths), you will find loot, one of the main components of beating any boss in Terraria is mobility so getting a cloud/blizzard/sandstorm in a bottle helps immensely. The first boss you will face will probably be the Eye of Cthulu which will spawn once you get 200 health.

Building arenas can help vs bosses, mainly they will be a small stretch of flat land and some platforms so you can go up and down easily. Ranged weapons are the popular choice vs bosses as bosses can do a lot of damage if they hit you and are immune to knock-back effects so it's usually better to dodge them and shoot them.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10812 on: October 16, 2013, 02:45:35 pm »

I know the extractinator is supposed to be super rare, but I just built a hellrope on a large world and explored twenty or so house-things, half of which were in the ice biome. I still have yet to get one.

A few days ago, Zisteau (do a YouTube search) found two in the same video from, IIRC, chests found while running across the surface.

Oh well. When I eventually get one, I'll have more than a full stack of either of the materials it takes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10813 on: October 16, 2013, 02:55:51 pm »

I know the extractinator is supposed to be super rare, but I just built a hellrope on a large world and explored twenty or so house-things, half of which were in the ice biome. I still have yet to get one.

A few days ago, Zisteau (do a YouTube search) found two in the same video from, IIRC, chests found while running across the surface.

Oh well. When I eventually get one, I'll have more than a full stack of either of the materials it takes.

And see, I think I've found.......7 or so on my world at this point.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10814 on: October 16, 2013, 03:04:13 pm »

Get lava and learn how to duplicate it and use it in traps that don't destroy items. There are very few problems that cannot be solved with proper application of molten rock.

Then have !fun!
Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 887