Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261543 times)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #11010 on: October 28, 2013, 07:45:51 am »

Beating the golem really isn't that huge. Try the pumpkin moon. Even 2 manning that fucker is crazy difficult, never mind soloing.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11011 on: October 28, 2013, 08:09:35 am »

The only person I've personally known to beat the pumpkin moon was playing with three other people. It just doesn't seem like there's enough time in one night.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11012 on: October 28, 2013, 08:12:45 am »

The only person I've personally known to beat the pumpkin moon was playing with three other people. It just doesn't seem like there's enough time in one night.
You can't beat the pumpkin moon. The final wave is infinite.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11013 on: October 28, 2013, 08:20:56 am »

"Beating" the pumpkin moon consists of getting to wave 15 and killing 1 each of the bosses for the trophy.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11014 on: October 28, 2013, 11:03:41 am »

But yeah, the true final boss of Terraria is the dreaded biome spread, consuming it piece by piece until none of the pristine original exists.  So you can either build a fully detached floating station with as many biome samples as you can get and contain (Norn ship, anyone?), or try and save chunks of the world in their natural formation by isolating and decontaminating them.

i heard about putting 5 blocks deep and 3 blocks wide barriers in the limits between the spread and the biome you want to defend, others say about doing huge walls down to the base of the map. the floating island idea sounds better BTW. but i dont know if biomes like desert, ice and ocean can be recreated. dungeon never changes but there should be a way to protect the underground jungle since its the only source for chlorophyte as far as i know.

talking about floating islands, are their unique blocks craftable? or i have to actually destroy parts of the biome for gathering them?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:07:14 am by xaritscin »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11015 on: October 28, 2013, 12:23:16 pm »

I had to conduct an operation to save my jungle shortly after I entered hardmode, actually, since the corruption stripe was drying and converting it. Here's what it looks like zoomed way out in TEdit: http://puu.sh/520s7.png
You can see there that I also had enclosed the original corruption chasms. I did that pre-hardmode.

Here's the border at the surface: http://puu.sh/520Bz.png
I built the barrier out of mudstone blocks (1 mud + 1 stone, and you can turn dirt into mud while standing near water, so it's easy as hell to make).
There's rope running down the center of the vertical shafts, although TEdit doesn't show it.

And below the temple: http://puu.sh/521iR.png
So you can see how this works quite well.
It can't spread through the underworld's ash, or jump more than three tiles (but can spread through vines/grass). The walls are to prevent vines, grass, etc, the three tile tunnel is for being able to travel through it and for aesthetics (and there's no need to fill it, since empty space stops corruption/hallow spread just as well as uncorruptable tiles).

I haven't bothered to stop the corruption from spreading east towards the hallow, or the hallow from spreading into the ice (I get hallow enemies and underground snow enemies at the same time, and can harvest crystals from the walls, so as far as I'm concerned it's twice as good as just having underground snow or hallow).

I did build another wall from the dungeon to the underworld to prevent anything from getting past that, and my skyhome is floating over the east ocean (just high enough that things still spawn in the ocean. I can jump on the roof to get harpies to show up, and they also swarm around the skyhome during a bloodmoon. Oh, and they drop pirate maps ;D.)

Edit: If you want floating islands' blocks, you have to take 'em apart to get 'em.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11016 on: October 28, 2013, 12:48:54 pm »

All chlorophyte needs to spread is light, mud, and one ore "seed" in cavern depths or lower. I setup some 5X5 blocks of mud with 1 ore tile in the center and some torch lighting, and it spreads on its own over time.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11017 on: October 28, 2013, 12:58:08 pm »

i'm thinking about setting up a chlorophye farm

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11018 on: October 28, 2013, 02:38:16 pm »

Desert, ice and jungle are all easily recreated using sand, snow and jungle vegetation (grass, trees and vines all count towards the biome block counter) respectively.  I'm not too sure about ocean, but Wrex assures me he's done it before himself.  I think you basically just need a bunch of coral on sand.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11019 on: October 28, 2013, 02:42:00 pm »

But yeah, the true final boss of Terraria is the dreaded biome spread, consuming it piece by piece until none of the pristine original exists.  So you can either build a fully detached floating station with as many biome samples as you can get and contain (Norn ship, anyone?), or try and save chunks of the world in their natural formation by isolating and decontaminating them.

i heard about putting 5 blocks deep and 3 blocks wide barriers in the limits between the spread and the biome you want to defend, others say about doing huge walls down to the base of the map. the floating island idea sounds better BTW. but i dont know if biomes like desert, ice and ocean can be recreated. dungeon never changes but there should be a way to protect the underground jungle since its the only source for chlorophyte as far as i know.

The only biomes that can't be recreated are the Dungeon, the Temple and spider nests. While Chlorophyte will only initially spawn in the Underground Jungle, once you have a sample it will grow anywhere in mud with light below the zero height level.

talking about floating islands, are their unique blocks craftable? or i have to actually destroy parts of the biome for gathering them?
Not craftable so far. If you want to keep the floating island biome intact, harvest the blocks from other worlds.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11020 on: October 28, 2013, 02:56:56 pm »

Is there a b12 server?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11021 on: October 28, 2013, 03:07:03 pm »

Is there a b12 server?
Forsaken put up one yesterday  68.55.212.49:7779
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11022 on: October 28, 2013, 03:16:19 pm »

It needs light? Interesting. Perhaps that's why I'm not getting total conversion in my small farm of 5x5 mud blocks (with chlorophye ore seeds in the center). Or I should look it up on the wiki again, because I may be hitting a max cap on chlorophyte in an area.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11023 on: October 28, 2013, 03:54:28 pm »

It needs light? Interesting. Perhaps that's why I'm not getting total conversion in my small farm of 5x5 mud blocks (with chlorophye ore seeds in the center). Or I should look it up on the wiki again, because I may be hitting a max cap on chlorophyte in an area.

The cap is fairly large, like 100 tiles in 150 area or something. If you put a torch at each corner of the mud block it should start spreading quickly.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11024 on: October 28, 2013, 03:55:47 pm »

I'm not 100% sure, but I think chlorophyte doesn't spread in non-hardmode worlds.

Also, I think you can have multiple farms 30 blocks away and they won't bother each other's cap.
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 887