Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926845 times)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #5055 on: March 11, 2015, 03:09:22 am »

Operation Flashpoint (The original, not the sequel) and the ARMA series is kind of like that. There's this particular feeling of helplessness that I get knowing that even if I'm a hero it will do crap because the operation itself is FUBAR.
The thing I like about ARMA/Operation Flashpoint is that there's helicopters/tanks/machine gunners/whatever... And you don't get a rocket launcher to deal with them. Sure, you can find it off some soldiers you kill, but if you don't find any there won't be one conveniently lying around. You'll just have to crawl in the dirt and hope to God that helicopter decides killing you isn't worth it's time.

This so hard, except the original OFP's squad combat system is incredibly unwieldy; hope you like menus during a heated battle! And the tank missions suck, because it's entirely luck whether your AI crewmates interpret your commands correctly and quickly enough.

When the AI and the mission scripting are working as intended, however, it's one of the most intense games I've ever played. A lot of it does, indeed, come from fear of the enemy's vehicles; nothing like seeing a tank on the horizon and realizing that you left the LAW behind much earlier in the mission, when the soldier carrying it died. It's a shame that they weren't able to and/or didn't make the game closer to an open-world experience, because the game world is quite expansive and I'm positive there are parts that don't get covered during the campaign missions.

Yeah, I did really enjoy the original operation flashpoint. Arma II also. That's pretty much what I'm talking about, but a bigger scale maybe, with more left up to over-all battlefield AI instead of mission specific scripted events.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: March 11, 2015, 04:47:06 am »

Does anybody know how one would go about calculating how much money wpuld be needed to produce a game?
Well, (total salaries * maximum estimated time of production) * 3 would be a good first estimate, if you're using a free engine (and there's no reason to use a non-free engine because Unreal Engine 4 is f*cking free).

Don't forget that all software projects always take longer to complete than initial estimates, even when you try to account for that very fact.

I forget what that 'law' called.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: March 11, 2015, 01:00:00 pm »

Another thing I'd like to see is a game with a reaearch tree that's partially procedurally generated.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: March 11, 2015, 01:02:24 pm »

Sword of the Stars? In the first game each race had some core techs that were the same each time but also some techs that they would only randomly get.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: March 11, 2015, 01:12:47 pm »

I was thinking more along the lines of some of the technologies themselves being randomly generated
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: March 11, 2015, 01:24:43 pm »

If we could develop software that could create new technologies on a whim I think we'd use it for something other than a 4x videogame
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5061 on: March 11, 2015, 01:29:33 pm »

A game with actual fun super speed.  Maybe with a cinematic mode, first you'd do normal actions in a slow mo world, and then cinematic cam would kick in, showing how you're moving from the perspective of normal people.

This so much. I'd like to have it include a time-rewind and receiver-style gun control.

Play through a minute of game time for half an hour of real time spent dodging, weaving, melee takedowns, thrown combat knives, and an average of one gun every six seconds.

Throw in tanks, cars, or planes for additional fun, but I get the feeling that the high-speed physics will reduce the processor budget for space. In other words, maps might need to be small.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:46:01 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: March 11, 2015, 03:21:38 pm »

If we could develop software that could create new technologies on a whim I think we'd use it for something other than a 4x videogame
It wouldn't be that hard.  Inventing technology that actually works is very hard, combining technobabble words with random stat modifiers is pretty trivial.  Having it actually be fun would be another issue but its not unthinkable that someone could make it work.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: March 11, 2015, 03:35:34 pm »

It wouldn't be that hard.  Inventing technology that actually works is very hard, combining technobabble words with random stat modifiers is pretty trivial.  Having it actually be fun would be another issue but its not unthinkable that someone could make it work.
I personally would prefer if instead of "procedurally-generated technology" there was the ability to create new custom technology by combining other technologies a la LEGO.

Though I have no idea how that would even begin to work.
._.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: March 11, 2015, 04:24:44 pm »

I'd also like to see more games where research (and to a lesser degree, construction) isn't so unnaturally focused. It isn't realistic for a huge galaxy-spanning empire to only have one research project going, you should be able to have several at once. Plus, innovations in one area often have applications in others, so having more research projects going at once should give you a small boost to total research points (although each individual project will still have fewer, and the boost for each additional project should be lower the more projects are currently running)
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: March 11, 2015, 07:24:13 pm »

I'd also like to see more games where research (and to a lesser degree, construction) isn't so unnaturally focused. It isn't realistic for a huge galaxy-spanning empire to only have one research project going, you should be able to have several at once. Plus, innovations in one area often have applications in others, so having more research projects going at once should give you a small boost to total research points (although each individual project will still have fewer, and the boost for each additional project should be lower the more projects are currently running)
Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow does that. It uses a system that either for focus or budgets. You can focus on a particular project or just on the overall categories.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: March 12, 2015, 08:57:43 am »

A strategic, turn based game, like those of Gary Grigsby (War in the East, War in the East, War in the Pacific), but not limited to WW II setting. Or at least not the realistic one. Give us some alternate reality scenarios, preferable tunable/moddable ones, damn it!

Or even better, make one data-driven, without hardcoded stats for units etc., and allow gamers create their own scenarios. I would spend so much time digging through obscure sources for info about composition of WW I - era Serbian infantry squads and stuff like that...
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: March 12, 2015, 10:20:21 am »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: March 12, 2015, 10:43:18 am »

I personally would prefer if instead of "procedurally-generated technology" there was the ability to create new custom technology by combining other technologies a la LEGO.

Though I have no idea how that would even begin to work.

Oh god, it just gets more and more complicated.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: March 12, 2015, 01:08:35 pm »

There was a game that was in development, but was never finished - point me to it if you can find any version of it, please - that was like civilization in basic premise, but also featured RPG characters (i.e. important politicians, the king, generals, members of the dynasty etc.) It had a really cool technology system. Basically, technology wasn't a tick - box of discovery, but a % mastery. For example, you might start the game with 10% knowledge of agriculture, and by building farms and upgrading them, you would gradually gain agricultural technology, which would do stuff like unlock better farms at a certain %. "Research" as such was more about breaking into new categories. The techs were also very intertwined, for example you might need Agriculture at 70% and Medicine at 50% to get modern pesticides.

Edit : Also, the techs had persistent benefits even if they didn't unlock anything, for example someone who has 80% Gunpowder tech would produce better Arquebuisers than someone with 30%.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:12:11 pm by Wysthric »
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 577